Wappler 4 RFC: Editor Tabs for Server Connect actions

I think we need a Figma, Xd, Sketch designer here to show us a good prototype!! :thinking:

2 Likes

You got a point there Ken. In the end workflows, pages and assets are just special views of a folder and/or file.

1 Like

Same! I have 27 inch mac and 2 x 32 inch monitors.

To an extent I would have to agree. Its a nightmare now when working on multiple tabs. If this is going to happen we need a better way to navigate between and find tabs.

Split tabs will help with this but a quick tab finder will help reduce the frustration.

2 Likes

Suggestion 5 from my wishlist would help for that.

1 Like

I think I already know what kind of nightmares I’m going to have tonight :sleeping: :scream:

too-many-tabs

1 Like

Some excellent discussion and I love the fact we’re part of the process of how Wappler is designed.

After reading all the comments, my vote is to run with the new design but also keep the old as an option, including the double-width left column, as that will please everyone. My screen layout is different on my desktop (5k iMac) and my laptop because of the space available so I really like the current option of narrower or wider SC column depending on screen.

1 Like

This is missing from mine, also.

If you guys are looking for App Flows, that is still an experimental feature in the Beta.

2 Likes

Thank you @mebeingken - I had this turned on for V3, just didn’t cross my mind to check to see if was auto-enabled in 4!.

Looking at the comments about the new design reducing productivity, it seems many are using the mouse too much, and resizing the panels as they work - something I have seen devs on my team do too. People are just not very open to learning & using shortcuts.

The biggest productivity gain I see is to be able to just have 2-3 SA open, along with 2-3 pages that I am working on and just switch between tabs (Ctrl+Tab) without having to keep opening and closing the SA panel on the left.
I don’t see a situation where anyone needs to have all the pages of the project open in tabs and then also the SAs. I could be wrong, but a workflow like that is a nightmare for me.

Having an option in the Wappler settings to hide the properties panel would be great.

This is certainly something to think about in the tabbed design. Becuase working on maximised query builder UI is also something that is important too.
Don’t have any ideas for the UI yet, but getting rid of the modal would definitely be a good move.

@George One more suggestion: please make Wappler remember the panel sizes! Its a huge productivity killer in the current version. Remembering the size universally would also work if per project is not an option.

1 Like

Which panels do you mean exactly? Most already save their sizes.

I just want to clarify why I’m advocating so much. It’s not that I have an interest, but I have.

It’s just that minorities are usually very vocal and noisy so someone has to compensate on the other side.

All in all the poll results are clear and it’s not like the sample is small AND the results are tied.

Only 4% don’t want to change.

It’s clear that.

Even if we receive heavy fire from the losing guys.

Stay strong @George

Old panel.

1 Like

@StevenM

This is how VSC handles that.

I will open a FR for this.

For those fearing a “tab hell”, a good solution might be, what Chrome have done with their tab groups.
We might consider a similar solution :slight_smile:

Grouping tabs per editor type.

1 Like

I think we had a long discussion about the existing two column setup of the server action panel, where you could not make it remember the size of the left column when left panel is open to a certain width.
The solution you proposed was to expand the left panel more, but that ate into the open page, so I am living with adjusting the left column since then.

I am hoping that will no longer be an issue since it will be all the more important since the tab that opens up will also have a left column of steps and a right column of properties, and probably more column/areas for the builders.

Very true. But now I’ve seen it in action, I would vote differently.

I like the new concept but I also miss the old ways so I continue to request we get both options.

1 Like

For me it’s the combination of not being able to see the API steps AND the HTML page at the same time (@JonL has promised there’s a solution coming for that :wink: ) and also the need to close tabs each time (I believe there’s a solution to that coming, too).

I spend most of my time with SC open on the left and one page open on the right and working between the two so ultimately would like that to still be possible.

I’ve got into the habit of only having one page open at a time because of the long-running bug where you type and it appears in another tab. I know that’s fixed now but I got into the habit way too much!

Is there any reason the entire left panel couldn’t be tab control my idea is let’s use actions as a example one click it opens without the tabs showing at the top, when you edit the action a blue dot appears in the left navigation area when saving this is back to normal this would be for everything git databases pages everything if possible. Then have some save and close options on actions pages etc etc save and close, save, close without saving

Also for easy access to the open tabs a new active tabs area where you can also choose to split section the open tabs

1 Like