Using the Tagify Component

Intro

The Tagify component transforms an input field into a Tags component , in an easy, customizable way, with great performance and many customizable options. Tagify provides auto suggestions when entering text into the input - really useful dynamic list of products, countries, options etc., so you can offer your users quick search and selection without having to enter long text.

In this tutorial we will show you the basics of the component.

Add Tagify on the Page

We added a form on the page:

You can add the Tagify input directly on the page, or you can convert an existing Bootstrap input to Tagify. We will show you the second option. Click the Add Element button inside the form:

Add a text input:

And open the Convert To menu:

Select Tagify, in order to convert this regular input to a Tagify component:

And you can see its properties in the Properties Inspector:

Data Source

You can use any dynamic data source for the tagify component - a database query, a JSON data source, an API data source or an array with items.
In our example we will use an API Data Source, returning a list of countries from a remote API. You can, however use any data you like - from your own database for example.

First, let’s select our data source. Select the Dynamic Data Picker for the Data Source:

And select your data source, in our case the data returned by our API:

Then select the Text. This is the user-fiendly text that will be displayed in the component:

We select the dynamic data from our data source:

Select the Value. This is the value, which you want to be sent by this input, when for example you submit this form. This is usually an unique id:

We select the id from our data source:

And we are done. Our tags input will display the countries list from our API Data Source:

Display Mode

Tagify can be used in different modes - like a multi value tags input, as a single value dropdown-like input or in mixed mode - where you can enter text and tags. We will show you how to setup these options.

Default Mode

The default mode turns your input into a multi tags input where you can filter and select multiple values from the list.

You can set this in the Mode menu. Just select Default (which is also the default mode):

And you can see the results below. You can enter 2 chars (default option, can be changed) and see the list of suggestions appearing. You can add as many tags as you like, also you can remove them using the remove button:

Select Mode

The select mode turns your input into a single value select menu with filtering.

Open the Mode menu:

And choose Select:

You can set the number of items displayed in the select list when you open it:

You can see the results below. You can enter 2 chars (default option, can be changed) and see the list of suggestions appearing. Here you can only select one value:

Mix Mode

The Mix mode allows you to enter mixed content - static text and dynamic tags. This is useful for tagging persons or places from a dynamic data source.

Open the Mode menu:

And select Mix mode:

In order to allow inserting tags in this mode, we need to setup a character which brings up the dynamic list in order to select a value. This can be done in the Pattern option in the properties.
We want to use the @ character to select a dynamic tag from the list:

And you can see the results:

These are the basics of the Tagify component.

15 Likes

This looks very interesting. Now I have to come up with an actual use case in my dashboards to show it off. :wink:

2 Likes

3 posts were split to a new topic: Customize Tagify dropdown style

This is a great addition, thank you… I use multi select loads and it’s so useful to have a built in component!

Just checking before I add a feature request…is there an option in Wappler to toggle ‘closeonselect’ (defaults to true). Just checked the docs and it’s an option for Tagify… I can’t see it anywhere in the Wappler UI? I would definitely use it a lot if it were added.

Fantastic!!! I have some custom solutions for this but look forward to making them Wappler compliant!

It would be very useful if the search could include text from both the main and secondary fields. As far as I can see this is not possible - is this correct?

In any case, this is a really useful extension.

1 Like

I think we already include the search from the primary text field. It should also be possible to add the secondary in the search as well @patrick

1 Like

That would be great. I’m thinking of those dropdown product searches where multiple fields are included, eg:

1 Like

Tagify component is loading from external source which some times slows the loading time of a page.

You could store the files locally/on your server.

If you do, there is a something be aware of: if you add a Tagify component to your page after adding the local references, Wappler will ignore these and add the external references.

Bump @george @patrick

Please file a separate feature request for additional features, so we can track it more easily and also have more people voting on it.