Using the Publish Manager

Intro

The Publish Manager allows you to publish your project - deploy files, database changes and commit to Git in a single step, from the easy to use publishing dialog.

Publish Manager Options

You can find the Publish Manager at the bottom panel of Wappler UI:

Clicking the Publish button will open the Publish Manager dialog:

First, select the target you want to publish your project to:

Then you can choose to delete the files from remote server, that don’t exist on your local target.
Note, that this option is only available for targets, using FTP connection:

You can apply any database changes directly to the selected target. Just select the database connection you want to apply changes to:

If you are using Git, then you can add a version, message and commit to the active Git branch:

You can select which files to commit, just as in the Git Manager:

When using FTP, you can also select which files to upload:

Click the Publish button in order to publish your project to the selected target:

You can see the progress:

And you can find more detailed information about the publishing process in the bottom panel:

That’s how easy it is to use the Publish Manager in Wappler. Please let us know what do you think about a publish workflow like this.

5 Likes

Is this just for Node projects? The fact that there is the possibility of deleting remote files accidently scares me tremendously.

1 Like

No, it’s for any project.

Well, you don’t have to enable it :slight_smile: There were quite a few requests about this exact functionality in the community, so we integrated it.

1 Like

I think having it in a separate synchronize tool would have been better. Now publishing is going to be more time consuming and stressful.

I have two projects, my main one that has hundreds of uploaded documents and if those get deleted I would likely lose my job. And another that has thousands of historical photos uploaded. Losing those would be devastating.

1 Like

This option won’t delete any files, that are located in the “upload” folder defined for your project.
The option is even disabled by default :slight_smile: So you have to really enable it to delete any files that don’t exist locally and are outside of your project uploads folder.

1 Like

This makes me feel a little better about it. Thanks. :beers:

2 Likes

This looks to be an excellent feature so thank you Wappler team.

Would it be possible to provide a list of what actually happens when you Publish? I’m keen to know the fine details before I give it a go. For example, is everything copied to the target or is there a comparison which takes place first and only changed/new files are uploaded?

3 Likes

Will see what we can do about that indeed. It is relevant for FTP projects only. In docker everything gets packed and published as one.

2 Likes

GIT? Or Backups?

1 Like

I would definitely make sure to have a backup of everything just in case of a bug and for simple peace of mind.

1 Like

8 posts were split to a new topic: Questions about publish manager

Video tutorial

4 Likes