Support external redis connections

Will you support external Redis connections?

If there is a need, we can consider it. What is your case?

Btw digital ocean already offer redis as a managed database service as well.

My use case for Wappler’s integration or my use case for Redis?

For the former I don’t deploy with docker.
For the latter, sessions and leaderboards.

As Wappler data stores keep growing I think that the DB Manager could evolve in the future to the Data Manager where you can define database/redis/etc connections and manage them from there.

And the same as you can define external connections for the DB you could also do it for redis, memcached, etc

Actually I just remembered that you can use redis separately with your own connection. I think we have a config option for it. Maybe @patrick can explain.

And later we will be adding it to the UI and also to the database manager, still brainstorming in that area though.

3 Likes

That is great to hear.

For sessions, I saw code for redis, file and knex.

But I didn’t find for external redis connection. Although I didn’t look hard.

Well you can enter it in the config.json:

still have to add an UI for it :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I am guessing it will be available in the globals, right?

Also please make it so the string is parsed if contained in {{ }} same as with DB connection so we can add host from the env.

Yes indeed.

Question is is redis just another database and we should add it under the database connection and also maybe in the database manager…?

Maybe also add actions to manipulate it as data store as well.

1 Like

Yup, that would be interesting at some point.

For now just being able to call external redis and make it compatible with sessions, cache and any other features you add(i.e. socket integration for pub/sub) is enough :slight_smile:

Thanks a lot @George / wappler team for this week’s new features!

For people getting started with redis (like myself) you can spin a free redis server on redislabs.com and start playing with these new features.

It would be great to read about what performance gains can be achieved.

Right now I can tell you that on the sessions side - avoiding the “sessions closed on every localhost restart” scenario is a blessing.

4 Likes