I agree with this. I think it’s always been a weakness of Wappler that it’s too easy to make changes to a live site unintentionally. Like @Antony, I use an external database manager. I use an external FTP program, but also use the upload facility within Wappler for uploading individual files as it’s so convenient.
I haven’t had any problems for quite a while, but just this week, a customer’s site suddenly became unusable. I haven’t worked on this site for months, but I opened the project to look at some of the code. I don’t remember making any changes, but perhaps I tidied something up and pressed Ctrl+S without thinking, and, more importantly, without realising I had the production target selected. I didn’t know anything was wrong until the client contacted me. They couldn’t log on and most of the content on the site had disappeared. Replacing dmxConnectLib solved the problem. Presumably the change I made had triggered the uploading of some newer files.
I don’t think I ever made this mistake using Dreamweaver. Simply saving a file couldn’t cause any problems. You had to choose to upload (at least as far as I remember). Perhaps some more obvious visual sign in the UI to indicate what targer is current would help with this.