New to Wappler general questions

Hey guys! I have just discovered Wappler (about 30 mins ago) and it’s got me excited! Looks amazing and seems like it’s very capable and powerful indeed. I just have a couple of question to help me figure out if Wappler is ‘the one’ for me :slight_smile:

My first question is, what kind of skill level is it aimed at? I am a graphic designer & UI designer who can program at a really basic level (simple scripts etc). I can get on great with apps like “filemaker” but my actual web programming skills & knowledge is quite limited. Ie i can not program in Javascript at the moment (but trying to learn). I was drawn in by the ‘no code’ aspect but then when i watched some tutorial videos there was quite a bit of code talk… Do you think Wappler would be a good fit for me, or does it require deeper programming skills?

Secondly, i was going to ask what you can build in Wappler - but from my quick browsing of this website it seems the better question is “what CAN’T You build”!? so please let me know what you would consider Wappler’s weakness (at the moment) if any. (for example, could it build a game like flappybirds?)

Thirdly, is it correct that Wappler can generate standalone cross-platform mobile native apps that could be sold in Appstore or IOs store? (fantastic if so) ? if so, are they wrapped webpages or actual compiled to native code.

Finally - I have two apps in mind i’d like to build, for one video and one for music. They will need to pull data (links to videos or songs) from a database and the page will display one of the videos or songs. It shall need to have a play button to play the next song or watch next video etc. So, i guess some interaction with Spotify or Youtube APIs will be required. Possible with Wappler? :grimacing: :sweat_smile:

Sorry for all these questions, i really hope Wappler is “the one” for me :slight_smile:

Warmest regards!

At a basic level wappler is a fully visual app designer allowing you to design incredibly powerful full stack web apps without the need to code at all. HOWEVER as it generates standard html/ javascript at the front end it can easily be customised further be those with basic javascript skills. As to the server side, you can choose your base code platform, PHP, classic ASP, .net or more recently added NODE. you can design database queries, API calls and manage file management and image manipulation all from the GUI. Again if you have scripting/ sql skills you can further customise your app but pretty much everything can be done in th gui.
So basically everything you mention can be done in wappler including the API integration and all code will be native HTML5 compliant code.

3 Likes

I think every member of the community has their own personal perception of Wappler. Here are my answers to your questions:

If code issues are raised in topics, this is usually done to better understand how Wappler works. In 99% of cases, work on the application is done using the visual interface of Wappler without the need to write code.

As for your start. Starting with Wappler will be your best solution and the best investment of your time and money. Yes, it will be a little difficult at first. Perhaps the most basic things will not be clear. However, when You go through this and understand how it all works, you will not just be able to create complex web products and applications, You will understand the very basics of creating any website or application. This will make learning any programming language significantly faster if you want to better understand code or create products in other IDE with a different technology stack.

You put the question correctly. Wappler works with a specific technology stack.

For web development it uses:

1. If you will use php on the server side: html, css, php, js
  2. If you will use nodejs on the server side: html, css, js

To create mobile applications, it takes a web application as a basis and packages it into a native code using Cordova.

Based on the composition of these technologies, you can make web projects of any scale and complexity (regular sites, CRM systems, your own CMS systems, ERP systems, etc.), mobile applications (Packed with Cordova) and even desktop applications installed on a computer (web Packed with Electron).

However, this technology stack is not suitable for creating games. Therefore, if you need to create a game, it is better to turn to more specialized IDE. For Example, Unity.

As I wrote above. Mobile apps created with Wappler are basically a web app packaged with Cordova. This approach has its advantages and disadvantages. If we talk about the prototype, this is a very good option.

You can place and sell mobile apps created using Wappler in stores. This applies to both Google Play and the Apple Store.

I don’t see any problems for creating similar apps using Wappler. :slightly_smiling_face:

Good luck!

4 Likes

Wow thanks guys! Was interested to see how helpful the community was too (always an important factor in choosing a platform to invest time & energy into) and seems you are awesome!

Literally reading through docs & post saying “wow” with jaw dropping. I’m a frustrated “creator” and feel like wappler could be exactly what I need to allow my creativity to finally turn into an app or website.

Thanks so much, I’ll no-doubt be back with some questions but for now I’m going to immerse myself in the docs & tutorials etc.

:sunny:

3 Likes

Wait until you interact further with the community and developers here. Never be afraid to ask a question, discuss an idea, or share your creations. At every step the support is FREE, the advice comes from experienced users with full stack backgrounds from across the board, then there is the direct interactions with Wapplers developers. So don’t be shy! Join in, take part, and sit back and learn as we all share our projects, questions, and answers. Relaxed environment and among the best communities on the web, no doubt there.

Welcome to Wappler!

3 Likes

Cheers Dave! Very Comforting to know there’s a friendly community willing to help. I imagine most of my initial questions will be quite noob but I will do my best to figure out stuff on my own first and only ask when I’m really stuck or need pointing in the right direction.

One quick question while I’m here typing… One of my app ideas require performing tasks at certain times of the day. For example, send an email at 1pm everyday. Is this going to be possible with Wappler? (or taken to extreme, being able to create an alarm clock type app)

Cheers!

With the recent addition of a node server type, new server actions to support this may be possible. But even without, you can easily setup server actions to perform functions that are called on a schedule using cron. So in a word, Yes. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Perfectly summarised.

If you search this forum you’ll see a number of posts from people in exactly the same position as you so it’s well worth doing some browsing. The key thing to note about Wappler is the way it’s split into two halves in the way it works - Server Connect are the script on the server which do the core work with data and security and App Connect which is the front-end part which communicates with those scripts to generate the output on the page. I’ve said this many times before but this is the bit which took me longest to realise but once I did I was sorted.

I’ve just finished a complete e-commerce website with custom cart, delivery calculations, payment processing, order management, etc. built entirely with Wappler. It’s launching any day now so I’ll be sharing a link to it. I now feel 100% at home with Wappler and am rebuilding a number of sites I previously built in Wordpress which is making them soooo much better.

Welcome aboard @askewd :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Thanks @sitestreet Cheers the tip re server & app connect, I shall bare this in mind.

Can’t wait to check your site out once launched. :blush:

1 Like

Hey! Thought I’d keep to this thread for now rather than starting a new one as my questions are all still very general ‘overview’ (ie "can wappler do this or that) . Once I start digging in properly I’ll put my questions into proper individual threads.

OK so just a couple more…

1. With wappler, do you need to create a separate wappler project for phone apps & a different version for browser sites, or can you “create once, deploy anywhere”. ? Ie all. In one project file.?

2. I designed this website but I didn’t develop it www.youpromo.org it has a dynamic price calculator on the home page. Is this possible & fairly easy in Wappler?

Cheers :sunny:

Hi Dale,

Your mobile apps front end will be a different project than your web app front end, but they can share the backend api server actions. For example, you can have one project for the webapp and backend, and then a second project for your mobile app, which utilizes the backend of the first.

No problem with getting your dynamic price calculator in place.

1 Like

Hey! I’ve been watching videos & tutorials. I am struggling somewhat to find my initial “starting” point. I mean, the videos are good but they are not that noob friendly and assume quite a lot of preexisting knowledge. It’s cool, I’m just having to ask a few more questions here than I’d like, and spend more time digging around.

For example - the first recommended video “your first bootstrap 4 page” talks about adding frameworks & “CDN”. He pops up a menu that is filled with words such as “cyborg” “lux” “minty” “yeti” etc. Then he proceeds to add the CDN one. But WHY? How would a new user like me know when & what to select? What even IS CDN and how does it compare to the “superhero” one, which sounds much more fun? :joy: Are they just themes? Or?

Likewise how would I know whether to select framework7 or Appconnect or bootstrap… And what happens if I select none of them? Do you just have to pick one for each project or can you add more than one?

The tutorial is showing me things I could emulate, but not helping me understand WHY those things are being done. It’s the WHY that is important to a newbie & will facilitate learning.

Finally, there’s much talk about databases, understandably. But do I need 3rd party software to make these databases in the first place? Or can they be generated & edited in Wappler?

Maybe I’ve missed some tutorials, or maybe I’ve just not watched enough yet. But yes, I feel like I need some gap-filling tutorials & if anyone can recommend me best ones I’d appreciate that.

I’ll be fine once the first few things “click” into place in my mind.

Cheers :sunny:

Ps are there any experts near me (Norwich, UK) who would be willing to give me a few days wappler basics ‘boot camp’ course? I’d happily pay for your time.

Yes, those bootstrap names are just different themes with different colours, fonts button styling etc.
People often choose CDN (Content Delivery Network) because it will load those bootstrap files from a network of servers around the globe and usually delivers those couple of files to your end user quicker than LOCAL (which just downloads them to your PC/project and then eventually the server of where ever you host it).

Framework 7 I believe is a framework use to build apps, and unless you’re trying to build a native iPhone or Android app you wouldn’t use it.

App connect is the lifeblood of Wappler. It basically is Wappler and I couldn’t really imagine a web project without it.

For the most part you’ll always add bootstrap 4 and app connect. Although it might do it all automatically now anyway, not sure. But that should be your starting point for all standard web projects.

Databases. You can build the database structure and test data etc all within Wappler. But something to mention , unless you are using a Docker project, you will need to have database already created somewhere that Wappler can connect to (so on a web host, virtual server or for development on your own PC as part of a virtual server setup). Once Wappler is connected to the database though, you can and should (in my opinion) manage it all in Wappler.

If you choose a Docker project, you can create the database initially in Wappler so that part is easier. Creating a Docker project will limit your deployment options, but it could make other things easier. It’s not for everyone though and may not suit your project.

3 Likes

Wow @Philip_Jthank you so much you wouldn’t believe how helpful that reply was! That just joined so many dots for me! I feel like I’ve finally found the start point. Thank you!

Just a couple of related questions…

You say those bootstrap options are themes, which makes sense, but it sounds like CDN (and I assume ‘local’) are not themes but are options that determine where & how the themes are stored? So, does that mean that if I choose one of those I ALSO still have to choose a colour theme as well? Ie cdn AND superhero?

Great re databases. So I could use something like AmazonSimpleDatabase? Are there any databases you guys would recommend that work particularly great for Wappler? Fast stable & expandable?

Wonderful!

1 Like

If you’re going to make use of Wappler’s Theme Manager then you’ll want to stick with Bootstrap Local. If you’re adventurous and want to style the theme yourself then you could use either the local or CDN option for delivery. You don’t have to choose a colour option, I believe they’re based on the Bootswatch templates. They’re just available to get you started faster.

I’d probably avoid SimpleDB as it’s a NoSQL product unless of course you have a specific reason for using a NoSQL database over a relationship-based product like MySQL?

You can use the standard Bootstrap 4 local theme if you want to further customize it, use the Theme Manager: https://docs.wappler.io/t/theme-manager/19557

If you just want to use the standard Bootstrap 4 colors, you can then use the CDN option.

If suggest doing what @Teodor mentioned and use a local standard bootstrap installation (not a preset theme) and use the Wappler theme manager to customise the look and feel. Seeing as how you come from a design background that might be more suited.

In saying that though, when you’re just starting out and learning the ropes in Wappler (ideally not on your main projects, i.e. start out just building some simple sample things or just muck around) I’d just use one of the themes (like flatly or whatever).

Learn a bit more about Wappler then when you start on your two ideas/projects use the theme manager to customise the bootstrap components to your liking.

Amazing cheers!

Yes as a designer, it’s the building of the interface & theme part I enjoy the most. So just to clarify, I need to use “local” for custom designs. If I did choose CDN or a theme, is there any fast way to modify it at a later date (without code) or would I be ‘stuck’ with it?

Re database, I’ll start researching options. My only question there is, if I initially build a database in wappler, is it quite straightforward to export that to the external server if & when required?

Really appreciate this help! Cheers again

Wappler is like a wrapper over the top of your database. If you use the database manager you’re not actually editing a database within Wappler, you’re just using it to manage an external database that can be hosted virtually anywhere.

1 Like

While I find it’s useful to have quick access to the database schema - for reference, I haven’t so far used the Database Manager, beyond trying it out. It’s partly because it has, from my point of view, a fairly serious bug (but one whiich probably wouldn’t be a problem generally). Apart from that, I don’t know what advantages there would be over using Navicat (for example). I wouldn’t expect it have all of the features of a dedicated tool like Navicat and nor would I need many of them. However, when I see issues relating to tasks which are trivial in Navicat (like copying database schema), it makes me think I’ll wait a little longer before investigating Wappler’s Database Manager further.

I think you are/were a Navicat user. I would be interested to know why you think you should the Database Manager and what advantages you’re finding. With the ingenuity that goes into the development of Wappler, it’s quite possible that I’m missing out on something. On the other hand, using Wappler doesn’t restrict the use of other tools - which is a good thing of course.