Mass image upload - Best way for clients to upload files and the access it remotely?

Mass image upload - Best way for clients to upload files and the access it remotely?

What is the best way or cloud service… to upload images to work like and FTP server?

The reason is… i dont want to client playing around in the FTP…
The JPEG files needs to be loaded into a remove server… eg dropbox or googledrive… or something

Then we script from our database… eg the prefix… (*dropbox or google drive) and load the image file names via a CSV that they uploaded to the remote location…

I think the important part would be.,… that the FOLDER name remains the same…
eg… www.test.com/mypictureuploads/ as this will be then the default prefix… and then the image names will be imported via the CSV they created… eg 0001-1.jpg 0001-2.jpg 0002-2.jpg

the server/service will need to allow for a remote site to access the images and display it on the website… its basically … like you would import instagram feed to your website…

anyone has some suggestions…

Hey Mozzi,
Simple, and VERY EASY, Amazon S3! Easy as folk to set-up. Great free tier (have to provide CC details to confirm your ID but free tier is very good, and even running in to the TB’s is still cheap). Wappler plugs directly in. Can keep your structures as they all are but migrate them to Amazon paths. Quick explanation of the scenario. The files are uploaded to your server, creating the paths as required, then in turn uploaded to Amazon through the superb S3 connector in Wappler. Then you delete the paths to clear your uploads directory. Files are then hosted on Amazon. Use the S3 connector to show the contents of specific Buckets (Amazons term for directories) as required…

Gets everything off your server and offloaded in one shot. The users have access as defined by your Server Actions interacting then with the S3 connector accordingly…

:slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks Dave… but this is not going to work … As the client is on shared hosting… and not using nodejs… but thanks for a solution. I might just get dedicated space on the shared hosting… and create FTP profiles for clients… in sub folders… but was hoping it could be done via dropbox or goolge-drive

Can do it with any Server Modal Mozzi. Doesn’t matter they are on shared hosting as long as you have enough space to process the uploads temporarily as you can delete once uploaded to Amazon. Would be easy to separate the directories user wise using basic Server Actions for managing access etc… I skipped over most stuff on Amazon as wanted to do it all locally, but it has been a blessing, and took only a few minutes to grasp the basics and within half-hour (leisurely) everything was uploading and storing.

Can’t praise this Wappler component enough for its shear simplicity.

1 Like

I use S3 Platform on php and shared hosting. S3 is not something working on your server.

But S3 is perfect not only for capacity and price of storage (I use wasabi.com, but you can use digitalocean.com, amazon or other) but it solve security problem very easy.

If your client save images in subfolder, they can be retrieved directly using their direct address, that is impossible in S3.

So in case your client need also safety, S3 is a good reply.

2 Likes

What’s already been suggested is the best solution but if you’re desperate to keep everything on the shared hosting server (I’m assuming the files aren’t too large?) then you could set up another FTP login which points to the folder where the files are. That way they can upload via FTP and not have any access to the rest of the site/app. Not the best solution but still a viable one if you prefer it.

2 Likes

mmm… OK… my clients are not up to scratch with FTP software… :frowning:

Can you guys maybe recommend a FILE MANAGER… that is useful where a client can login… and upload images… rename them… but as they uploaded files are already resized client-side before upload

Why not create protected a file upload page with dropzone on it and use the image resize tools in Server Connect? You can build this exactly as per your users needs …

That’s the whole idea of wappler and its server side tools.

2 Likes

Yep, Wappler has all the tools needed to make a good file manager including image manipulation like resizing, cropping, rotating, watermarks, etc.

@Teodor. Thank you for the suggestion. The only worry is always the upload size and the limitations with the Drop Zone… because it does not resize the images beforehand… yes for me as a “tech savvy” guy knowing how to resize images beforehand its great… BUT… my clients hardly know how to resize an image… or rename it… yes i know… then they should not be using it… BUT TELL THAT TO MY CLIENTS!! hahahah… eish…

Ill use DropZone anytime… i do think its a great tool… I use it all the time…if you have a solution for me @Teodor … to resize the images before upload… ** see @UKRiggers post below thank you.
Or another way to approach image uploads… 100 - 500 images… i would appreciate it…
but please take into consideration “im a client and dont know how to decrease the image size”…

These clients take images with high end phones… 10 - 17MB an image… seriously…
Now dropzone 200 images… x 10MB… my server will time out… way before then even if i set this to the highest possible POST size

Hence this post.

and this from @UKRiggers

The idea comes from BlueImp’s jQuery File Upload plugin for PHP https://github.com/blueimp/jQuery-File-Upload and in particular

• Client-side image resizing:
    Images can be automatically resized on client-side with browsers supporting the required JS APIs.

As an example, this is where the image to be uploaded is automatically resized on the device (mobile or PC) as part of the upload procedure from, say, 8Mb to 300Kb without changing the overall width or height, without cropping the image and without noticeable loss in quality. So no need for user intervention. I have implemented this on various sites and it works very well. It’s ideal for mobile use but just as good for desktop as it

• reduces upload time and bandwidth usage
  • minimises storage space on the server
  • faster page views when recalled and faster slideshows
  • enables quicker downloads
  • all without further processing on the server side

It would be a win … if i can get the file resized… client side before upload… then it would not be a problem uploaded the 200 - 500 files… and will work like a breeze…

You @Teodor always come up with great solutions or ways to tackle a problem… and always manage to approach it in a way my head does not… :slight_smile:

1 Like

I use https://bulkresizephotos.com/en to resize images. It doesn’t upload anything, it’s all done within the browser, so I wonder if similar features could be added to dropzone?

2 Likes

Yes it would be great if we can do it client side with drop zone… please vote for this here…

I think these features are on the way, in relation to the new App Flows:

4 Likes

awesome… sounds promising… :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Has anyone downloaded Wappler 4… sorry i have not… but if so… did somebody notice if this is included in v4. … ( George …>>> So you can do image resize and manipulation all client side)

I don’t think anything new has been added in W4 yet. They have shifted over to Electron which has made everything super quick and brings a host of native possibilities too. I suspect ‘new’ stuff and requests will be starting to drop soon.

thanks Ben… and thanks for your feedback on the W4… its sounds awesome… when im all done with my projects… then ill upgrade…

I’ve been using each version pretty much from when they were released and have found them exceptionally stable (for a beta). I’ve now started using W4 on my live projects because I feel confident that it’s ready. When you do upgrade, I don’t think you’ll be disappointed.

1 Like

@Teodor — Ok i have 500 images to upload that is at least 700kb - 1.2MB big… so my “POST” value would far exceed what the server would allow… so i cannot use Drop Zone i presume?

Is there a way to upload 500 images… in a loop or something…or que… so that once the first one is uploaded it load the next one… almost like FTP…

or is there a setting in dropzone that i can set to upload each images… and then when the image is loaded to the server the next one gets uploaded…

anyone ever had to upload loads of images client side?

I have a site. that I have uploaded a couple hundred photos no problem as long as the file sizes are less than server limit. I believe most servers have a 2 MB limit?

I didn’t use the drop zone though - just a regular multi-upload.

I believe, unless you need them to be original image size you can always decrease the size of the image in your upload steps so the file sizes are smaller.