Libssl1.1 Dependency

======== TEMPLATE BUG FORM ========

Wappler Version : 4.9.1
Operating System : Pop!_OS 22.04
Wappler Linux desktop app seems to be requiring libssl1.1 or higher.
I’ve looked at other similar topics but haven’t found a solution/answer. using dpkg --force-all allows me to install it, semi-functionally. However, nothing appears on the screen, as David mentioned here

I have libssl3 installed and updated to the newest version, so my best guess is that the dependency list is inaccurate and doesn’t include libssl3 as higher? or does it actually rely on libssl1.1?

2 Likes

I had the same issues on Ubuntu 22.04 LTS as well as Pop!_OS 22.04.

I was able to install Wappler betas on 20.04 versions of both without issue.

All the typical fixes of running apt/dpkg commands or using the OS installer tools to force an install did not work. It seems something about these dependencies is so old that it doesn’t detect newer versions of these dependencies are already in place.

It would be worth the Wappler team think about building an AppImage or something, to prevent dependency issues

Wappler 5 beta should have indeed better compatibility with the new ssl libraries. Can you try the beta?

I can confirm the issue exists as of yesterday on Beta 10, and two days ago on Beta 9 when trying to install on Ubuntu 22.04. Installs fine on 20.04, using exact same download file and procedures. I bought a new machine, wiped it, and set up a brand new fresh Ubuntu install days ago and ran into this issue.

I did not try to install Wappler 4, but I found posts like this one indicating the issue did not start in the beta.

I think the issue is in the naming of the dependencies as listed in the dpkg resources. I found a guide on an ubuntu forum when I ran into this issue that I can’t find now, and the solution they provided for installing Wappler 4 on Ubuntu 22.04 was to manually remove the dependencies from the installer’s package resources (since the dependencies that can’t be installed are met by Ubuntu 22.04 by default, just named differently and much higher version numbers).

Running 22.04 here with no issues with Beta 10 (no LibSSL issues), or previous Betas, or otherwise.

That’s great news! Do you mind sharing what your install process is like? For instance, before installing Wappler are there any other tools you install like another coding app that might satisfy the dependency automatically?

Also, any chance you’re on a machine you upgraded or updated from 20.04 or older? My understanding is that new installs of 22.04 suffer from this, but upgrades do not have this issue.

Visual Studio Code, Navicat, Android Studio, FileZilla, all before Wappler, not necessarily in that order.

20.04.3 was my base for installation, I then upgraded manually. I maintain a full backup image of my drive so never had to go the 22.04 route for install. I simply restore the image to disk. Does sound like a 22.04 issue for those that did not use 20.04 prior to upgrading.

Hope that helps.

1 Like

A huge help, thank you for sharing & for taking the time to reply!

1 Like

Could you check if just installing the libssl dependency helps? Install as:

sudo apt-get install libssl-dev

@seapanda may see this before then, but I will erase a machine and check within the next 1-2 days – pretty sure libssl-dev 3.x was installed, but have erased the machine

PS - I did test and was able to run Wappler 4.9.1 and Wappler 5 beta 10 on Ubuntu 22.04 that was installed first on 20.04 and then upgraded to 22.04 - thanks again, Dave, for the pointers.

1 Like

Hi George,

I’m running Linux Mint:

I ran the command as suggested:

I’m getting the following error:

What am I missing?

1 Like

George may have a better solution but here’s what I know…

Libssl1.1 has been replaced in recent releases by libssl3 - you can see you have the latest version.

I know of four options - perhaps there are more:

1. manually install libssl1.1
    There is a major downside to the this approach, as documented here https://askubuntu.com/questions/1408000/unable-to-locate-package-libssl1-1

2. remap your libraries so your libssl3 will appear as if it is libssl1.1

I don’t know how to do this on mint

1. erase your system, install a mint release based on ubuntu 20.04, then use the upgrade tool to upgrade to the current mint (this will install libssl1.1 and leave it, or remap it - not sure which it does)

2. install 20.04 based linux in a vm container

PS, there are some ui bugs on 5.0.2 in linux (maybe also macos?) that get in the way… might prefer 4.9.1 (but you still need libssl1.1)

Thanks @nomad.

So Wappler is throwing errors because it wants libssl 1.1.1 or greater.

My system has 3.0+ and Wappler doesn’t handle this?

At this point I am unable to install Wappler and work on my client applications.

@george please help.

Maybe this will help:

we succeeded in removing the libssl1.1 dependency in the next Wappler update, so you should be able to install it on Ubuntu 22 worry free :slight_smile:

1 Like

Fixed in Wappler 5.0.4