For Newcomers and Designers, CMS or LowCode / NoCode converts

Over the few years Wappler has been around, the community often fulls up with people asking about migrating from other low / no code tools to Wappler, this can be anything from WordPress to WebFlow, etc. It also has many people asking about documentation, and updated documentation or more tutorials.

Firstly just to get a few things out the way, the more things you try integrate into Wappler the more difficult everything becomes, and the higher the learning curve, honestly trying to use a front end created in another low/no code application or a template you have to edit to work in Wappler etc. just makes the entire process more difficult.

If you have never been a developer then I would avoid doing that as Wappler is an all in one tool that can do it all, not to say that everything inside Wappler was 100% created by Wappler, their Frameworks are already integrated from the original Twitter Bootstrap into Wappler, so although Wappler gives you easy access to use the framework, they did not actually create Bootstrap, which in essence means you could get yourself all the learning resources you desire for Bootstrap 5 and learn that first, and use Wappler to test what you learn.

The rendering in the design view in Wappler uses the Google Chrome Render engine, so it should in general render in Wappler as it would in Google Chrome as Wappler did not make that either, but integrated it rather.

JavaScript, Full Calendar, Google Captcha, Monaco Code Editor, to mention but a few other modules / languages were also all just integrated by Wappler. So Wappler basically used Apples core idea and bundled a ton of the best open source tools together and created a million of their own too, and integrated it all together in an interface that attempts to make it as easy as possible for most low coder people to be able to use.

The reason Wappler people in this community act like Wappler is the best tool ever imagined is because many of the original users came from a development background, and converted from the amazing DMXZone, which was created by this exact same team 20 years ago, back when ZZ Top was still an awesome band.
This group of developers already had to manually code in languages like PHP, NodeJS, JavaScript, and had to manually connect and learn database structured query language, learn how to design database structures with keys and column types. So when Wappler made a tool that we could create a site in about a tenth the time it used to take, and have hardly any knowledge of all the languages we were using it felt like magic to us.

The good news is Wappler agrees with you about the docs and tutorials and try to get them created as quickly as possible, although it is very tough as it is a rapid developing application and a tutorial created on Wednesday may be out of date by Thursday, in fact I can almost guarantee that, as every Thursday we are blessed by the amazing Wappler team with more toys, bug fixes, and improvements.

The second piece of good news is that, you could use the documentation on Bootstraps own website to learn about the Framework and leverage your new found skills inside Wappler, so if design is your main aim then a good grasp on Bootstrap can get you much further much quicker. You could learn a bit of CSS for styling and use that knowledge directly in Wappler too. I would not go as far as to learn PHP, ASP, JavaScript etc. but maybe researching the core principals of web elements they all share can help you move along quicker, such as a variable, they are used in all programming languages, Arrays, and a few others are all used over many of these languages.

In the end of the day you could learn Wapplers user interface rather, and use your learned knowledge from the other resources which could help you when stuck or just to get going a bit faster, and it’s not wasted learning, if you never decide Wappler is the right tool for you, then knowing some HTML, Bootstrap classes and concepts, CSS is all going to get you further in any of the other tools you may use.

Lastly the reason why many people from a developer background are not as concerned about user interface changes is because we are not looking for a particular button to do something as such, as from our background we already have an idea of what we need, so it’s really just a case of finding it rather than figuring out what we need, the question is where is this or that.

The reason I wrote this is that I have just helped my youngest daughter learn Wappler in 3 weeks and she has already made 3 little dummy websites, and has found it pretty easy, probably because I gave her a an inLearning Bootstrap 5 Essential Training video as her starting point.

Hopefully for any newcomers you may find this information helpful, and be able to use some of my advice to get going easier. Don’t get despondent we all began somewhere, in fact most of us started in a worse off place.

The first time I echoed out Hello World! in PHP I wanted to contact Morpheus and tell him I was ready to accept his pills as I was the greatest computer hacker that ever lived now. In Wappler you could be a non coder and write Hello World! in 4 different programming languages in about 3 seconds.

Also keep in mind, before Wappler you had to learn quite a bit about your own computer too, even just to install half the tools, and a lot about servers, which is almost all done for you in Wappler.
To only have to learn an interface, is 90% of the battle already won.

10 Likes

I thank you for taking the time to explain to me. I wasn’t sure anyone would so I am grateful! My one question though is about reactivity. I already own a site where I have a few thousand active users and it’s growing before I’m really ready. I will be migrating them to what I build with Wappler.

Is Bootstrqp interchangeable with React or Vue? Does it do the same things because this web app has a heavy social media aspect and it was explained to me how we could get some of our desired functions to work but I’ve never spoken about bootstrap. The tech jargon goes over my head sometimes

Edit: I can’t get over how valuable this response is. I’ve spent so much time poring through everything I could find online about Wappler but I couldn’t connect the dots because I couldn’t understand. Thank you again!

No problem, happy to try assist.

When I see the word reactive, i see it in 2 different ways, probably the most common one you are referring to is its Ajax style responses, so yes, Wappler is already fully responsive, you can control it completely, a user can click submit to a form on your page and their change can update your database and/or API and display the updated result instantly without reloading the browser window at all. A user can click a button or link, or hover over an item if you so desired and fire off events to do various things like animation start stops, sending scroll positions to Google Analytics, it can interact with your user in pretty much whichever way you want.

If you mean the other kind of reactive, yes its that too, reactive to browser window size alterations and your layouts will adjust accordingly, as well as adaptive through the use of Bootstrap breakpoints and if you want even more granular control it can even read device width/height and orientation to give each device grouping of user a fully tailored experience.

React and Vue are both javascript frameworks, and to be honest in Wappler you would just not require them, Wappler created AppConnect as their own version of that, @JonL can correct me if that statement is incorrect, but in my mind thats the way I see it.

Bootstrap is not a JavaScript framework but rather a Front End Framework for HTML and CSS, possibly 2 of the simplest languages to learn, however both very forgiving, so often done pretty badly, by humans as well as applications, as anyone who ever looked through code produced by something like Apple iWeb could confirm, yikes, I almost cried when i saw the written code it created.

Honestly I can not see any reason why Wappler would not be able to take on your project and more with what is already currently built into it right out the box, you should have no need to worry about anything else but learning Wappler and the technologies it uses.

In simple terms
Bootstrap / Framework 7 are your HTML / CSS FrontEnd Frameworks
App Connect is your React, Vue, Javascript frameworks, possibly Angular too
Server Connect is you backend framework using your choice of PHP, ASP, NodeJS

Pretty much the short answer is, if you learn Wappler, there will be very little else to worry about as long as you do not try swim upstream all the time, what I mean is, Wappler supports things like Docker and has built in support for Digital Ocean, as well as some others I do not really use personally, so cut your own troubleshooting time down by using what Wappler promotes, as tried and tested, rather than getting some hosting company they do not support, or you could be fighting with that first, when it could be off your todo list in about 10 minutes rather than spending a month trying to get it working.

If you look into bootstaps website docs, and the many video tutorials available for it you will also save yourself some trouble figuring out what you need. It is easier to figure out whats going on in Wappler if you already sort of know what you looking for, which is why i made my daughter do the bootstrap very basic training first when i looked across at her wappler and saw her searching the App Connect components for toggly blob thing instead of radio button.

Also you have a full community to help along the way.

4 Likes