Built-in Security Functions Project (Reg, Login, Logout, DB, etc)

I think it would be great to have a default basic project with the following

• User Security Functions (Registration, Login, Logout Setup) - including the database schema, pages, server actions
  • Admin section
  • Member section
  • Barebones CMS (this would be nice but not needed)

As someone that is new to Wappler I am having the hardest time wrapping my head around the registration, login, logout security setup. As I have to learn not only Wappler but also security.

I think this would help a lot of people get a much fast start to Wappler, as this part is needed almost but any application. Getting this part out of the way would allow new builders to ramp up much quicker and get to building they actually fun part of their project. With something like this built-in I truly believe there would be a much higher retention rate.

This is my 2nd or 3rd time trying to use Wappler and each time, I get lost in the weeds of building out the user security functions of the site and really start questioning my skills and end up going back to an application like WordPress because the basics like the user security functions and barebones CMS is already there so I just need to focus on explaining those functions and building out the actually dynamic parts of the application.

Thanks for letting me be part of the Wappler community.

Have a look at this playlist:

2 Likes

From the way I see it, having these options pre-filled would make you dependent on Wappler.

I understand that you and many others are trying to use this as a visual tool which can help you create simple apps quickly. But, if you are serious about programming, you need to know how it works… At least to a level that in case of situation where you have to build something outside of Wappler, you can.
And even if you stick with Wappler, you will get into a situation where you have to use custom extensions… Where again all this learning would help.

This is how I view Wappler - a great tool but not the only tool for app development.
The team might add such sample projects in future if they think its in Wappler’s best interest.

That said, we do have a template sort of project in works, which includes many things that you have asked for, but unfortunately haven’t had enough time lately to finalize and release. Hopefully it will happen this year.

P.S. You can vote for your own FR.

7 Likes

Thank you Ben, I have been following watching Brian’s tutorials and I am getting there. I actually watched yours yesterday and have it setup all the way to the password reset area.

2 Likes

sid, I am serious about programming and completely understanding the need to know how to do it. I just feel it is a more advanced feature which makes it hard to get over that hump of getting to actually building out the application.

I would assume once I do it a few times, I can just upload that code to git and start a project with my based configuration already there.

“From the way I see it, having these options pre-filled would make you dependent on Wappler.”

Using Wappler inherently makes one dependent on Wappler lol…people just want a “template/starting point” to work with to either save time and or to reverse engineer so they can learn and understand…obviously no single template will account for all designs/use cases but it helps a ton

@sevenrice Believe you are not the first or only person to ask for this lol… I am also in the process of building a “default template/starting point” for several reasons and will be sharing it so hopefully you get the help you need soon =]

3 Likes

Do you have an estimate of when?

1 Like

Nope. You can stop your subscription today, and still keep your project working as it is.
And you can make any changes you want to the same project using any other IDE/text-editor of your choice. And convert or modify it to work with any server model of your choice.
This is one of the main reasons why Wappler is superior than any other No/Low Code tool out there - that I know of at least.

1 Like

I don’t understand by using a template would tie you to Wappler? Won’t it be the same you could modify the code via any IDE editor?

Someone like me would need Wappler most of the time to make any real changes to an application that I built in Wappler.

Again I think this would be a great feature, granted I am getting there and maybe I can share my basic application on github when I get it there.

1 Like

As @sid has already stated, the answer is a resounding yes.

The problem is that each has their own way to construct a registration-login-logout action. Just see the difference between Brian’s - @Hyperbytes - workflow and mine, to not forget how Ken - @mebeingken - has approached it.

Mind you. I am not against what you are proposing. But I do believe that there needs to be a consensus on which method to use if it is going to be the Wappler Standard.

2 Likes

How should prepare such a project that requires:

What server model should be used (PHP, NodeJS, ASP, ASP.NET)?
What database should be used?
Are you using user permissions? What permissions are needed, where?
What CMS do you require - for Blog, Store, CRM … etc. ?

With that many options and only these 4 questions - almost every person would have completely different setup and requirements. So, in your opinion, what project setup will be the one that fits all the different options?

2 Likes

Teodor, yes.

1 Like

Yes, all of it :slight_smile:

Can you clarify please? What do you mean by all of it?

@Teodor I hear what you are saying, personal I think NodeJS would be the way to go as a starter because while PHP is still widely used I think most things are starting to go to NodeJS. Folks using ASP or ASP.NET will have or know why they are going that route and have more of a developer background.

So here would be my list from someone with no real developer background.

• NodeJS
  • MariaDB
  • Users - Administrator and Member/User
  • CRM - Homepage, User Profile Page, Admin Section and Basic Admin Dashboard

From that I believe you can build many applications ranging from CMS, Stores, CRMs, etc…

This really just to get people over the hump and get them into building their application quickly.

@ben, you right by this. As I find it easier to understand Brian’s way of doing the registration-login-logout from the security server actions but I enjoy how you lay out your login-registration setup. Please take no offend but when following your security server actions, I don’t even know what salt is, nor do I understand why it is need and what makes your method more secure then Brian’s even if it is or isn’t. Or is Brian’s method secure enough for a website with payment data on it.

So I have been reserve engineering Brian’s security methods into your page/modal setup

There are many roads that lead to Rome. Some like to get there quickly, others prefer to meander while taking in the scenery. Which is the correct one? I respect one’s choice.

The best way to learn is to look it up. One such a search gave me

I have used something similar in the past. Don’t forget that Brian and I are old rats in the business.

The way I see it is! Wappler needs to add auth0 sdk to its list of security provider this way we can easy integrate the auth0 service to manage security login, page restriction, etc.

the more vote Please Please Integrate Auth0 In Wappler for Node.js this gets the more chances @George will consider it. Building your own authentication system shouldn’t be just left to what Wappler offer out of the box as security Provider Auth0 is simple thing that Wappler can to its list of security provider currenty there Single, Static and Database, but why not add Auth0 https://auth0.com/single-sign-on.

2 Likes

“Nope” what?

“From the way I see it, having these options pre-filled would make you dependent on Wappler.” Is this an opinion or a fact?

“ You can stop your subscription today, and still keep your project working as it is.…” True, with a template or with no template…

So is there a dependence or not?

Of course any app can be built from scratch or with any stack of libs but if one wants to use Wappler it is then a dependency.

Depends on my work schedule. Ideally before the end of Nov

As Teodor mentioned there any many tech stacks possible and I have reasons to have more than one:

NodeJS & PHP
SQLite - MariaDB - Baserow
Admin - Users
CMS

To cover all of my use cases