Adding new features to Wappler

You can already build a complete e-commerce website with Wappler. You just need to use the various parts together to make the end result. The UKPaint website (see the latest showcase) is an example of that. I didn’t use any software for the entire development other than Wappler. They introduced Local Storage which opened up the whole cart-build functionality. Yes, I had to integrate Stripe myself but I did it with Wappler server connect APIs and it works perfectly.

I would love to see features like a cart builder so you can do most of the work in a few clicks and then tweak as needed, and I’d really love to see PayPal and Stripe integration to make that part easier, too, but the lack of those isn’t stopping me from building a complete e-commerce website.

5 Likes

Yes, you have to be an IT technician to use and understand Docker and it’s deployment especially when databases are included. Don’t get me wrong, Docker, Node.js and AWS are probably great tools for those experienced coders and technicians. I agree it is a great thing to have in Wappler even though the majority of targeted users will never use them.

Just saying that Wappler is losing sight of it’s core user market.

Yes, I know you can if you are an experienced coder who has worked with API’s and done several carts by hand before. The eCommerce I need to set up is very basic yet there is no way I can do it in Wappler.

I find it easier to select my PHP version from the dropdown and database type and click deploy than dealing with php.ini and .htaccess rules on an Apache server :slight_smile:

Just saying :slight_smile:

1 Like

Do you know what tool didn’t evolve and focused on their core user market?

Dreamweaver. Requiescat in pace

I am pretty sure you weren’t born knowing SFTP, CSS an HTML. There is always a learning curve to new tech. But evolving is always a good thing don’t you think? It is good that Wappler is losing sight of the past and focusing in the future. They need to build a future-proof business. They need to think about those young guys that call us boomers :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yes, setting up a Docker site locally was fairly easy. I did manage to get that far. But with limited options for affordable hosting it makes Docker and Node.js just not practical for most users. Just go by all the support questions on this forum with people having issues with Docker, Node.js and AWS. And these are from experienced coders and developers. The average user has no hope of ever using those.

3 Likes

I have a hard time believing that the learning curve when you started with dreamweaver was less steep than the one you have in front today. If anything Wappler team tries every day to flatten it out for us.

I used every version of DW since pre-release of version 1.0. That was in 1996. Things were simple back then and can’t be compared to now. If it hadn’t been for great extensions from companies like DMXZone, I would have found Dreamweaver well over my head as well.

Dreamweaver isn’t even 10% of the product Wappler is. Not a good comparison. :wink:

1 Like

Brad if you follow my latest guide, you will see that deploying a full blown site with docker to a new server on Amazon AWS or Digital ocean is just 5 clicks away!

No need for any tech or IT skills and much easier that getting any shared hosting to work!

Just a few clicks and you have your own server up and running in no time!

From one guy with a programming degree to a non-programmer. Let me tell you a secret that others don’t want you to know.

Programming is just learning a mix of basic math, some simple paradigms and a new language as in Italian. It’s not as difficult as people tend to think.

And even knowing that you don’t need to do anything of that with Wappler in its current state.

Enjoy the ride and have faith!

1 Like

I’ve tried, trust me it is not easy.

Regardless, we can argue this all day and it will still come down to the fact that the target user has completely shifted. Which I guess is okay. As long as what is there now that is usable by non-coders will still work for a few years. I understand I am no longer in the target market. I will live with that.

Brad, trust me, we are listening to all the users. You are of course in our target group :slight_smile:
I have that feeling that you feel ignored because we spent some time integrating some feature you don’t like/use/want to use. Wappler will become easier and easier to use for non-coders. That’s our plan for the upcoming versions. Of course this won’t stop us from enhancing the existing publish/hosting features :wink:

5 Likes

I think you’re underestimating what you can do. I’ve never coded a cart page before, I just realised what was possible when the local storage features were introduced and I went for it. Being able to build it yourself using all the tools available means you can do finer details with relative ease.

I wanted to make the changing of quantities of items in the cart as easy as possible. Just clicking on a + or - button. Wappler made that easy to do. My cart will be different to others, it’s exactly how I wanted it to be, but I couldn’t have done it without Wappler.

So the featureset is there and you will be soooo chuffed when you use that produce an impressive result. Relying on a one-click built solution is limiting yourself.

5 Likes

A bit late to this discussion and I do understand what Brad is saying. The introduction of these newer technologies to Wappler are a trigger for me to do my research and to come to my own conclusion. This is similar to @brad’s in that there is nothing wrong with PHP/MySQL/Apache.

At the same time, my latest projects are based on NodeJS/MySQL/NGINX. The template system is what won me over. But there are so many other advantages in using NodeJS and look forward to the time that these features will be incorporated into Wappler.

@JonL, I would prefer to characterise programming as the creation of algorythms :sunglasses:

1 Like

Non coder, ex bubbler here - and Wappler has been empowering and exciting.

It’s a fine line between being totally ‘no code’ for every experience type and being powerful. Bubble is an example of this - they do an exceptional job of making app building accessible - but what comes with that is terrible performance and restrictions.

I have my frustrations with Wappler but that’s 7/8 times out of 10 on me as I’m moving fast and want to be able to do everything right away. Most of this could be handled with improved documentation - that would in turn remove the reliance on the forum for repetitive questions (that I ask).

Only recently Brad you questioned the overhead of a CMS integration ( which is more widely adopted across the net than e-commerce) - so I myself would feel the same about an E-commerce module when there are options out there as JonL highlights. Perhaps a way to choose to exclude some modules to keep bloating down would be a good idea!

Love Wappler. Love the direction and the team’s commitment. Exceptional.

8 Likes

Can’t agree more with you.
I understand that at the current development pace it’s pretty hard to keep a detailed documentation up to date, but it’s so valuable for new users, it might one of Wappler biggest growth/adoption lever.

With wappler and, sometimes, a little bit of coding you can build almost anything. Wappler is the only, as far as I know, low code solution that brings together experienced programmers and junior programmers. Both can benerfit a lot. And this is why Wappler is so unique. Keep on what you doing. If you just focus on creating only click and go solutions then Wappler will become just another software.

Thank you

5 Likes

You are so right.

By integrating App Connect, Server Connect and proven OS libraries under a good UI while facilitating deployment and making sure people are owners of their code so they are not locked into a platform they have cracked the problem in my opinion. They can attract no-coders and low-coders. Hobby, personal and enterprise. Without compromises!

They have the goodness of all worlds.

5 Likes

Great to hear such wonderful debate!

I think as we start to use something like Wappler, we find a way that works for us that was possible in Wappler when we started, so we sometimes stay with that. Hence as time goes by, some big new features just pass us by.

I’m building one app for life here and started last November, so I’ve passed by Database Manager, Theme Manager, Docker-this-that-and-the-other, nodeJS… so pretty well all the big goodies of 3.0. And yes, sometimes a Thursday is like “nothing new for me today”.

But then things I really really need come along, like Flows and all the S3 stuff and I’m super happy. :upside_down_face:

So sometimes we just have to be grateful for the wonderful software we have already, and the totally amazing team that support us with so much care! :rocket:

5 Likes

Antony:
I appear to be having the same experience as you. I took on two applications that consumed all my resources as the goal expanded when I demonstrated good success. As a result I have totally fallen behind in my understanding and use of all the new nifty updates, Wish there were just a series of little demos on how to use all the new features and how one can build on previous Wappler experience to adopt them in a a less painless fashion. Any ideas ? I would love to hear about them.

1 Like