Your interests outside of Wappler?

What are your interests outside of Wappler? Always interested to know what people get up to in their spare time away from ‘work’… So what do you get up to during your down-time?

1 Like

Lol, what down time.

But really, I buy stuff for my computer, the biggest monitors I can find for the lowest possible price, upgrade to faster SSD hard drives, pull apart old computers and try make them great again, build hackintoshes.

When I am forced to not work, I enjoy going for breakfasts and dinners with my 2 girls who are both in their 20s now, teaching them to drive, building kitchen cabinets for their homes etc. Really enjoy woodwork, and electrical even though I often almost fry myself, but I have rewired my entire home from top to bottom, and have the neatest distribution board in town, when you pull off that cover it is like a masterpiece of precision wiring all bent into perfect angles with not even a single wire doing a silly curly loop.

Watching movies, but its difficult when your mind does not switch off, so I half watch movies while watching tiktok and youtube and the Wappler community.

Too old to surf anymore, too broken to race motorbikes anymore, too embarrassed to drive around spinning my tires all over the place and sliding around corners, so had to stop that too.

3 Likes

My wife would love my time away from work more than i.
It’s rather little time I make outside of work.
That is spent with family (grandma, daughter, wife, parents) or spent in religious activities or watching youtube/netflix.
And surfing the web for things i cannot buy but dream to someday!

3 Likes

Gaming. Family and that boring stuff also I guess.

4 Likes

Football (playing and watching but prefer playing), music (guitar mainly), family stuff.

2 Likes

Hanging out in beautiful places in my cute little caravan…

Grooving in the wilderness with a tribe of whacky dancers…

Kayaking down gorgeous river valleys…

Cycling up as many hills as I can find in an hour’s work break.

2 Likes

I must say it’s really hard not trying to think of developing or bidding on job posts. My wife is usually the one who has to drag me away from the computer. Because we now lived in Florida I try to log off on weekends and take my wife and two daughters to the beach on Saturday’s where we just kill the day swimming and eating sandwiches because it takes like 59min to get at. On Sundays because I now lived in Florida I started gardening, so far I am trying to grow pineapples, mango trees and watermelons. Then after that it just basically trying to clean up the house because my kids are toddlers so the place always look like a mad person live here from Bellevue. If I have anytime or energy after that I usually search the Wappler community here for solutions for things that I am stuck on from during the week. Then rinse and repeat the week again.

1 Like

Love my horses, Monty and Ida!

6 Likes

Oh, and Dreamweaver!

1 Like

Thanks its good to know more about the people I seem to spend most of my day around hahaha. Like many I lurk here in the Community a lot, probably too much.

So we have electricians, football stars, gamers, beach lovers, and family fun! And a fellow horse owner @Hyperbytes (I often think they believe they own us hahaha). I have a pair of horses too Brian. Must say aside from the mucking out, the feed and hay bills, and the cost of tack (wife always pointing out new boots and things I still don’t understand, and also cost a small fortune hahaha, how many pairs of Ariats does one woman need!), I really enjoy them, got a big gelding who is a very well decorated dressage champion (retired him due to a tendon strain, but come good after a year turned away) and a Lusitano (being in Portugal got to have the National breed) filly who is backed but also turned away, will bring them in to work now as a lot cooler. Would kill for the paddocks you have. We have grass about a month of the year, rest of the time have to get hay in, thankfully in the countryside so not difficult.

Thanks all for sharing your lives with us. Hopefully hear more about other members here. Feels as if know many of you in a weird way. Funny how the mind builds up a picture of people we’ve never met in person!

:slight_smile:

4 Likes

Live Community Theatre … all aspects of it. I am currently in rehearsals for one I will be acting on stage in November.
:performing_arts:

4 Likes

For me it’s hockey (field), cycling and photography. I’m a primary school teacher too and still teach a day a week which led me to build a school admin system with… yes you guessed it… Wappler

4 Likes

@Dave
Q. How do you become a millionaire with horses?
A. Start as a billionaire.

Both mine are 25 now, ridable but i stopped last year as they are both a bit arthritic.
Monty (Irish sports) was an endurance horse, Ida is a Normandy Cob; Rare breed now.; big strong but lazy!
Lost my big love of my life a few years ago, Major was an ex French cavalry training academy horse and 3 day eventer (Selle Frances) who was incredible but sadly I have to say goodbye due to a recurring eye problem.
Had 6 acres of great grass when i lived in N.W. France but have to rent a 5 acre field not I am back in UK but grass is lush and green, hay only need approx. Oct - March.
i am lucky, basically retired, work for fun rather than need and can spend time with them

1 Like

I love a good Cob! Proper working horse and tough as you like. We also had a wonderful Selle Frances called Rocky, was a giant and so gentle (around 22 years), was like being atop a cathedral. Here they are especially uncommon as most are Lusso crosses so when he was out and about no one could believe how big he was. Went down with a massive colic, got him up and a few days later another and we had to let him go. He had surgery years before so had a history. Was a terrible time for my wife as just got her confidence back. Had a wonderfel ex Polo mare too, she went on to around 26 or so, she was back in the UK but was suffering bad after years on the field playing polo for Black Bears (the wife was a Polo groom working in the yards and attending Hoys). Its sad to let them go I can feel your grief. I have many dogs and cats but the connection is not like that with a horse. I’m pretty sure they see straight through your minds eye and deep in to your psyche. Mad relationships we have with ours, don’t even have to command them, just a look or a slight motion. Both our current horses have great personalities. Danube the gelding is rising fourteen - fifteen, and Serafina is still young at six years give or take. She is being schooled to pull a carriage, which will be my primary transport! We are very rural and lucky to be in the middle of nowhere so no one bats an eyelid to see horses out and about and being used. They still used donkey’s in our village for most things as little as ten years ago. Like you say is nice to spend time with them to build up that relationship. Ours are pets despite their value if were to be sold on. Serafina is a pure Lusitano of Veiga bloodlines and would have went off to be used in bullfighting (they do not kill the bulls here, they are raised with the horses and are great friends throughout life). Hey Brian if the whole C19 thing dies down try and get yourself out here for the National Horse Fair (should be on this year in November, but is an annual event so maybe next year?), we’ll put you up:

Man that is so true! Thankfully here is a lot cheaper than the UK. We have a place with several usable acres (and about 15 for hay production), no stables though, and pay €450 a month (includes three bedroom Quinta, farm house). In comparison we used to have the old Polo girl, Annie, on livery at my cousins yard (with a family discount), for £550 a month!

Danube (or Blue):

Serafina:

Excuse their dirty state, we hose them down for the heat, then typically they roll in their own shit hahaha…

And one of them together:

We are blessed to have them. You know what it’s like, they come before us… Feed, feet, and teeth, hahaha. With what remains we eat bread and drink water from the well!

:smiley:

2 Likes

I’m feeling left out, I couldn’t afford a horse, so I got one better

2 Likes

You lucky people. This is what happens to us at the moment if we are seen outside of a 5 km radius of our homes:

Long live ‘democracy’ and ‘freedom’. Very sad.

1 Like

I pay £50 (59 euros) a week just for a 5 acre field, nothing else

Added to bucket list. Planning on France this November to try and do some repairs on our house there (rented it and tenants trashed it) but maybe next year would be amazing thanks

1 Like

It’s great to know I’m not the only one that is addicted to development :joy:.

One hobby I have is writing fiction novels recently. Not sure if I am any good but I enjoy the escapism. Currently writing a mystery one called Gas.

2 Likes

Lol, @funcoder, that conjured up a good chuckle, the mystery of who dropped gas has always been a mystery.

When your’e done, I hope you going to share so we can all read it.

@ben, I did not realise it was still so strict over there, shame man.

4 Likes