Why a 'PRO' thinks Wappler is not for real pros

Thanks for the comments Freddy!
Fully functional routing component is coming to Wappler really soon :slight_smile:

1 Like

Youre joking? That would be incredible but I hope that it would not mess up the userfriendly Interface or usability. Maybe it could be enabled as „Expert“ Feature :laughing: I would Prevote the Voting Button here for these „enterprise“ features like Templating + Controller

4 Likes

No, it will be as nice and user friendly as the rest of the components :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I had some experience in an Enterprise CMS software where you could build up Websites with 1000+ pages. If you looked into the root folder of the webservers documents you would not find ANY files… Everything was provided by Database. Files etc as BLOBS. The funny thing was that „Page not found / 404“ didnt really exist, cause there was no filesystem. Also files were stored as unique hash. So no problems with mutliple files on different shitty locations. So you could make like „virtual“ paths and folders as much as you wanted. Multilanguage and subfolders were handled via Webserver DLL Engine. And the magic magic really magic thing was instanceable nested templateengine. But maybe I told you now too much :laughing::ok_hand:t5: Okay and the last funny thing was that „our“ bad no so fancy CMS competitor was bought by Adobe …

2 Likes

the day that the wappler launches this component of routes, will be the happiest day of my life

I use codeigniter for this.

I always have to change the urls

<script type="text/javascript" src="../../../dmxAppConnect/dmxAppConnect.js"></script>

for this

<script type="text/javascript" src="<?= base_url('dmxAppConnect/dmxAppConnect.js') ?>"></script>
2 Likes

I am about to quote the entire post and just say, you hit the right spot. Can not agree more with you. This is exactly what is all about. The only reason that Wappler is a success is because it is the only software that permits to program in a visual way, which gives the benefit to be competitive, efficient without producing the same stuff again and again just like it happens with systems like WP etc.

And this is why an amateur usually struggles to build something with Wappler and finds difficult while an expereienced web developer just falls in love with it. If you have hand coded a website before you can not ignore Wappler. It is impossible. That’s all.

3 Likes

You are becoming one of my favorites. Love the way you present things. This is the beauty of mixing experience, knowledge with open minded approach.

Thank you

Hey, don’t pick on old guys! There are plenty of them on here and working with Wappler. One does better than the other. Not all old guys are grumpy. I am one of them…… :rofl:

2 Likes

Hey Jacques,
I was referring to old guys, who don’t want to accept that web is evolving and that there are workflows different than theirs, which in many cases are also better :slight_smile:
Open minded people are always welcome for discussion, we do not judge them by their age.

1 Like

Yes Teodor. That is the other kind of “old guys”. We do not Always understand what we are doing or are supposed to do, but we do it from a positive view on a new world. And we get all the help we may need to understand this new world

1 Like

I am with you mate. :sunglasses:

I can accept web is developing just not where Wappler is going with it, well for the ‘professional’ minded anyway. I have built long and good relationships with clients and some have even become friends. When I step back from managing their website/s in 2/3/4/5 years time (not 50 as you put it) I want my reputation to remain intact and my client/s to be able to freely and quickly source alternative web-developers who use accepted and standard workflows recognised within the industry. Are you seriously trying to inform anyone that IF a user of Wappler, at any stage in their career, given that they are indeed thinking about a career in web-development tried to walk into a professional web development company on the back of working with Wappler they would be taken seriously?

I actually resisted from posting at length in my previous post and kept it respectful as its your forum and I have no wish to disrupt it only to tell the reverse side of the story as Im only concerned with those that are considering a ‘long term’ career in web-developement where they may have to work alongside teams and in different environments, rather than being an isolated freelancer where anything is considered accepatble in the short term.

I totally get Wappler for those who don’t wish to learn to code and are only casual users, part-retired, small organisations, etc it can surely be a benefit to those. I dont get it for those who see themselves in it for the long haul, a career which could span over many years. They shoud be following current ‘recognised’ trends not propriatory niche ones. Couldn’t Wappler have integrated React, Angular or Vue alongside Bootstrap, it would have made it more of a mainstream and credible product rather than a niche one.

If you are to believe it and I don’t particlulary there are 1.6 million downloads of Vue each month…I think probably not but even if you half that to 50% its massive compared to AppConnect. Yes Vue will most likely be yesterdays news in 5 years time but professional devleopers move onto ‘recognised’ current trends just like they will when css grid becomes mainstream, they dont ‘isolated’ themselevs by using an unrecognised niche workflow and one product. Look what happened to Muse…the people who used that were completely lost when that was EOLed. I’m not suggesting that will be the case with Wappler as DMX has a credible history stretching back years but a similar niche product where people invested a lot of time in learning it and most had very little coding skills making it more difficult to move on when the ‘crutch’ is kicked away. It’s just common sense you dont put all your eggs in one basket if you are trying to better your skills which opens up more posiblities in what could be a long road ahead.

I fully agree with you in every point! Youlll not be taken seriously when stepping into a WebDev Company with Wappler knowledge. But for fast, small projects without a team its amazing. Maybe Wappler could improve exactly here smth.

1 Like

There are professionals who have been using DMXzone Extensions in DW and now Wappler and they run their own agencies and manage tens of websites. And yes there are companies purchasing licenses for DMXzone Extensions and now for Wappler for teams of up to about 12 people, so yes - professional web development companies are using it as well.

A freelancer does not mean not professional. Many freelancers just want the freedom of not being employed and still manage websites professionally. 90% of my friends who work in the area of web development are just freelance contractors hired by big companies, just because they don’t want the daily 10 to 6 job in the office.

You just confuse the terms, professional web developer is not the one that does everything manually in the code. A professional delivers what his clients need, in short terms, the client does not care if you are writing your code by hand or not … and won’t care more in 5 years when he needs a new website and finds another developer.

And comparing Wappler with Muse is let’s say … funny :slight_smile: Muse was doing less than 1/3 of what Wappler is capable of.

Once again - we are not aimed at hard coders who write their own components for react or angular. We are aimed at people who want a visual tool which delivers this.

Interesting comments from a person who never really used any of our tools.

1 Like

That’s what we’re doing constantly @Freddy_Blockchain, that’s what Wappler philosophy is: The Wappler’s philosophy

A profesional should also have some integrity and morales by providing their client/s with what is going to be easy for them to hand over to other web-developers should the need arise. It stands to reason that if one uses recognised workflows within the industry that is going to be an easier task for them to source. I fully agree the client does not care if the website is written by hand or automated but its the job of the web-developer to provide their client with a ‘portable’ solution.

In regards to using your tools anyone who knows code knows you dont need the UI.

Anyone who knows he can benefit saving time by re-using components through the UI knows how useful the UI could be. That’s been proven at DMXzone for the past 18 years, and continues to be valid the last 6 months with Wappler.

I’m not saying the UI could’nt be useful, especially for those that are ‘code challanged’ just saying in a lot of cases you don’t even need it. I won’t elaborate though. So whilst I have not actually used your UI tools I have observed the final solution to many components, its my job of course to do so.

Anyway lets part on fairly good nature and freindly terms rather than beat the crap out of each other like usual, its pointless. I wish you good luck with your venture. You and George are certainly dedicated to it if nothing else.

I don’t think that you as coder are the audience for Wappler. I am a coder myself and also prefer a good code editor. I use Wappler sometimes when I have to do some fast prototyping of HTML/CSS. But not everyone is a die hard coder and a lot of people prefer to use a visual tool to do the development, even those who know how to code.

A profesional should also have some integrity and morales by providing their client/s with what is going to be easy for them to hand over to other web-developers should the need arise.

That’s a fair point of view and I tend to agree with it. But in my experience, the possibility to quickly deliver the solution a client needs makes more sense for their business than the hability to hand over the project to another dev in the future, using a more mainstream tech stack.

Usually what I see is that you will probably need to redo the project anyway years down the road, with whatever new shiny tech is on the news, so this is a non issue, most of the time.

Writing and managing code by hand is super flexible, but you may also agree that surely is a very, very time consuming task. This is a point in which a visual tool like Wappler have a clear advantage.

3 Likes