Welcome Bubblers! (An honest review)

To echo what @Hyperbytes has said, Bubble uses Workflows to perform tasks. Wappler uses server actions. Not entirely different but enough to have to learn how they differ from each other. To be really honest with you, if you have little or no-code experience, you will not learn Wappler completely in 7 days.

If you start with Bubble and then decide to move to Wappler, you cannot transfer your app. You will need to start again from scratch.

Bubble and Wappler both have their pros and cons but I believe choosing Wappler (although the higher initial cost) will give you a much better chance at scaling your app in the near future.

1 Like

Also the ohter thing to bear in mind is that its 19 euros for unlimited sites. When you go live with bubble you have to pay per site (you do have hosting costs however with wappler but on shared hosting you could run quite a few apps on 5 euro per month hosting I would of thought depending on complexity and amount of concurrent users accessing each app). Another thing to bear in mind that if you want dynamic sites you do need to go for the Pro which would probably be applicable to most people coming from bubble.

Hi @Shuteopengco and welcome to Wappler!

With Wappler you use and learn web development in general. Take advantage of the best practices and frameworks used by the professionals. Those are skills that you can apply to any web development process.

Wappler can greatly assist you learning general web development and make you very productive after that, but a general base is required.

That is why I usually suggest that absolute beginners start with a general web development course, like the responsive web design courses available for free at the freecodecamp:

They also have a great course on Bootstrap as well.

After you pass those, then you will be able to appreciate and use Wappler in a much better level.

4 Likes

Just saw the Bubble pricing … holy crap! Is that per site?

@George meaning, I should take a course on general web development first to appreaciate what wappler has to offer?

I think a free version for an absolute beginner like me is good for wappler and will take most of the “no code” peeps from other platforms to migrate into wappler as well. Maybe a free version wherein it will be open for basic operations but cannot extract or export the code or project?

@datguru we cannot make dynamic web app using the basic version?

Yes, you need the pro version for dynamic data content.

Not really :slight_smile: Having some basic HTML/CSS knowledge could just help you with the logic while building a web app.

Unfortunately so. It’s now going to be $529/Month for the Sub-app feature which I use to enable multi-tenancy. Crazy money for people just starting out.

The thing I found even more crazy about the pricing was the limited storage 10GB - 20GB is not alot of storage for the money.

Can’t believe in this day and age that any host actually limits storage, all the plans I offer my customers are unlimited storage and bandwidth

3 Likes

This is very true, bearing in mind 10GB on Amazon S3 would only set you back around $0.20 month!

I remember @Hyperbytes wanted to offer Wappler hosting some time ago and put up a poll. But there was not much of interest back then.

Maybe this changes now with all those bubble users looking for high quality, affordable hasting.

Maybe run the poll again Brian? To see if the situation has changed. For best, fresh results I would suggest making a new poll.

I am actually doing it however never advertised the fact, didn’t like to abuse the forum with an advert
https://wapplervirtualacademy.com/hosting/

2 Likes

Well that is great news Brian! I’m sure many of the new users will take advantage of your great offer.

You might want to setup ready to go packages for direct purchase and and an admin control panel :slight_smile: for easy usage. Another great showcase of Wappler’s powers :slight_smile:

There will be a point in the future where Bubble and Outsystems prices will not differ so much.

I agree that would be ideal however is is quite a big task and financial investment which could not be justified based on the last poll but I will add a page with some sample pricing schedules as a compromise

1 Like

My worry with Wappler is the database discussion - outside of something like google sheets / airtable I would have absolutely no clue where to start. In sheets you can get some exposure to “query” language but I really don’t want to have to think about setting up a database / running it on a server or any of the admin that goes with it.

I saw someone mention forest admin, it looks great but to most people coming from bubble it might as well be a fancy engine part - we don’t know where the catch to the hood is, which end of the car the engine is in and we only have one of those sets of 3 screwdrivers from an xmas cracker.

I’m sure some bubblers are more capable than me and I know there are courses to learn this stuff - its just that for someone learning for a couple of hours in the evenings outside of their job to build a small app for a bit of fun (who knows where it could go!) - the barrier to entry feels high.

If i’m wrong and its actually completely easy then please correct me and i’ll be the first to set up my wappler app and sing its praises on the bubble forum :slight_smile:

I am hoping I am wrong or that there are things on the way to make it easier for people like me because so much about wappler is appealing!

All the best,

Yes I get what you are saying @DrNinjamonkey, databases can be a bit scary to those not familiar to them
It is important to note that use of database is ONLY required for dynamic sites so in many cases don’t need to be used.
However, for anything needing data manipulation they are but Wappler makes this as easy as possible by allowing data to be managed via a visual interface and with the forthcoming inbuilt database manager soon to be introduced to Wappler is will become even easier.
You certainly wont be the first to come over to Wappler who have never used databases but with a basic understanding of how to create tables and make relationships Wappler allows you to do incredible things.
And of course, it’s great community is always here to guide you through those parts which you don’t understand
Then there are the YouTube resources like this to help you through the process

3 Likes

It was probably me. Just wanted to clarify that FA is not a DB management tool. It’s an agnostic SCRUD admin backend interface that plugs into your DB and reads it’s schema and relationships. It then creates an API so you can consume the data it holds.

You can’t design a DB with FA

2 Likes

That was useful, thanks!

Is there a tutorial that shows me in the most basic terms how to set up some basic hosting with a DB?

Are there any plans to roll out hosting specifically designed for people like me?