Web3 discussion

Yes i am :slight_smile:

https://opensea.io/assets/matic/0x2953399124f0cbb46d2cbacd8a89cf0599974963/46675912567101601091523187807394157036655616248793387581035631428133814534145

All fun aside, I think we owe @mgaussie the chance to make his case with a real world ā€˜usefulā€™ example.

3 Likes

Well, thatā€™s what I thought. I right clicked and saved the monkey.gif and saved myself $14million dollars.

But seriously, there has to be better uses that @mgaussie has in mind. Iā€™d really like to hear from him with a good example.

Well ā€¦ that is what it is currently used for (real use cases, billions of dollars worth business), just google NFT and NFT market :slight_smile:

Thereā€™s plenty of actually worthwhile applications for blockchain. Iā€™d like to use smart contracts, for example, to limit access to personal information. Iā€™d also like to use immutable ledgers to manage digital signatures against contracts. Thereā€™s some really interesting stuff looking at supply chains and tracking things like transportation temperatures of food items (linked to IoT sensors).

3 Likes

I think that at some point someone will figure out something with NFTs that will make Earth a better place. But for now itā€™s just another a get-rich-quick scheme.

The most popular NFT is the NBA cards. At the beginning I thought it was a great idea. When I was a child I traded cards with my friends and now you could do that digitally on the blockchain. But if you think about it it doesnā€™t matter if itā€™s on the blockchain or on the NBA official mobile app with no blockchain.

NBA license is already protected by law. It doesnā€™t need blockchain.

So right now, NFTs, are a solution for a problem that doesnā€™t exist.

1 Like

Smart contracts are indeed whatā€™s going to be useful - for things like for example insurances, banking, shopping ā€¦ etc.

3 Likes

The only advantage I see is in lowering costs and putting a lot of middlemen and third parties out of business. But apart from that blockchain doesnā€™t solve anything that canā€™t be solved with traditional methods.

So yes, blockchain is interesting, but not as revolutionary as some people want to sell it to us.

Itā€™s just that as with everything some people just want to take advantage and make a quick buck on this.

1 Like

Totally agree, but it can be useful in the right application

1 Like

Hi @brad iā€™ve seen your tags, so out of respect to you iā€™ll reply here - but iā€™m just not playing in this thread anymore - the lack of true vision, or technical understanding (causing the lack of vision) is baffling and just not worth any of my time - appreciate your sentiment none-the-less.

1 Like

Out of respect let me insult the rest of the people that donā€™t think as I do. Outstanding logic.

1. You call Solidity ā€œworldsā€™ first low-codeā€ when itā€™s not even low-code and certainly not the first. Itā€™s pure programming language with a syntax similar to ECMAscript.

2. You link in your post to an article that mentions NodeJS and you automatically infer that as Wappler has a server model for it Solidity can be plugged in on top of it. You fail to understand that in that article NodeJS is only used in the context of tooling and not as a base for Solidity.

3. You are corrected about the origins of Web3 and how it was developed as a Javascript library.

Yet you still find a way of accusing people with decades of programming knowledge of not having technical understanding.

Classic internet style.

2 Likes

God you really are a cretin with delusions of grandeur.

Letā€™s play your game:

Out of respect let me insult the rest of the people that donā€™t think as I do. Outstanding logic.

The IRONY here. You have spent months telling people who use PHP that they shouldnā€™t because YOU believe Node is better for various reasons.

Secondly youā€™ll note that I said out of respect to BRAD because he tagged me. I didnā€™t refer to anyone else, I simply stated I was baffled by the lack of understanding on this forum, which is true. Itā€™s not insulting to not know something. I donā€™t know plenty of things.

1. You bring up politics, then say letā€™s not use politics.
  2. You say you know all about crypto, because you bought into some altcoins like everyone else did with the first BTC major bump and you think you are a trading mastermind because you made a few 100x on $10 investments.
  3. You claim because people have ā€˜decadesā€™ of programming, that they must just have technical knowledge of this new technology. Thatā€™s like saying a 10 year JS developer will automatically be able to build and know everything about PHP, or JAVA. Just idiocy. Of course they wonā€™t. So itā€™s illogical, and frankly self serving you think that because you may have decades of programming, you may know more than me about Web3 technology. Itā€™s clear you donā€™t and guess what, Iā€™m not a programmer - a clear reason why I was using a low-code platform.

This is getting very embarrassing.

Now to your points:

1. You call Solidity ā€œworldsā€™ first low-codeā€ when itā€™s not even low-code and certainly not the first. Itā€™s pure programming language with a syntax similar to ECMAscript.

Youā€™ll notice that we are on a Wappler forum, Wappler is a low-code platform. If we combine blockchain functionality with Wappler then we would have a low code web3 platform. Ive since found out it wouldnā€™t be the first with Bildr forging ahead. But at NO point did I state Solidity is low-code (oh and by the way if anyone googles solidity and ecmascript youā€™ll nearly verbatum get JonLā€™s reply here from wikipedia :joy:. If you read all my posts, and even the one where Iā€™m working with developers thatā€™s BECAUSE itā€™s not low code. Embarrassing.

1. You link in your post to an article that mentions NodeJS and you automatically infer that as Wappler has a server model for it Solidity can be plugged in on top of it. You fail to understand that in that article NodeJS is only used in the context of tooling and not as a base for Solidity.

I donā€™t fail to understand anything, Iā€™m referring to primarily (and please note the TITLE of this post) Solidity.

Hey, and guess what, Iā€™m on a LOW CODE forum for a LOW CODE tool, so I donā€™t pretend to understand node.js - youā€™ll note at no point have I articulated an argument for Node.js in any manner - thatā€™s because I have a low level technical understanding of the workings. This is different however for blockchain technology, which is why I have an educated and informed opinion. Again, embarrassing.

1. You are corrected about the origins of Web3 and how it was developed as a Javascript library.

This is laughable.

So you think that web3.js is literally behind the whole movement of web3? This is probably the most embarrassing, short-sighted comment Iā€™ve ever read.

At NO point have I referenced web3.js.

So let me get this straight, is web2 (commonly known as the CURRENT internet we all exist on) simply one specific javascript library? because thatā€™s the equivalent of what you are arguing here.

Web3 is a concept, a decentralisation of the internet as we know it leveraging blockchain technology. Web3 is NOT a javascript library :joy: :joy: :joy: :joy:

Here you go: get someone to read this to you: https://ethereum.org/en/developers/docs/web2-vs-web3/ and you might better understand the differences between the two.

Seriously. Just go away.

Now, back to not following this post, so please save your time.

@mgaussie
Just to sum up here, answering the original feature request - solidity is not in our top priority list at the moment, BUT we are closely following this.
There are many more features/options with much higher priority at the moment that are coming to Wappler in the next few months.

If there are enough votes or requests in this direction in the future, weā€™ll consider implementing this in a visual way in Wappler. Glad you found a tool that currently does what you need in terms of Web3 and smart contracts with solidity.

And please no insults :slight_smile: this is a civilized community.

Thanks Teo, I am 100% at peace with you guys having different priorities. It was a selfish request because quite simply Iā€™ve never been so blown aways by a platform as I am with Wappler - introducing Web3 functionality would just have been game changing for me. But you also have competing priorities - hence why itā€™s a feature request only.

Certainly wonā€™t bring it up again and if we choose to utilize Wappler over Bildr - Iā€™ll just have the extensions custom developed, which will be easy enough. Thank you.

2 Likes

Off to a good start. I am pretty sure you wouldnā€™t dare to say that to my face. Another classic.

I advised them not to. I donā€™t go crying because I canā€™t get it as a feature.

Yep. I noticed how I went into politics then I decided to correct course. Unlike you I donā€™t I mind admitting in public if Iā€™m wrong.

You are short on zeroes.

This might come as a surprise to you: yes. People with a technical background of decades will understand the underlying technology much better than someone that can only read white-papers.

This might come as a surprise to you too: If you have the right education, yes. Ever heard of programming paradigms? I guess not.

That much is clear.

Not only in Wikipedia. You know why? So people with javascript knowledge will find it familiar. BTW, Javascript is based on ECMAscript. I also didnā€™t have to search that.

I donā€™t know about that one.

Movement? Concept?

I hope you are aware that the Ethereum gang doesnā€™t get to decide what is the next iteration of the internet.

Iā€™m pretty sure I will still be around when you decide to move to the next shiny thing that crosses your life.

One can wish.

:joy: :joy: :joy:

Iā€™d love to say it to you in person. The irony of stating I wouldnā€™t do this in person, while saying I wouldnā€™t do this in person from behind your keyboard. Can we PLEASE move past the 90ā€™s of the internet already. No one cares about forum fake masculinity.

There is no end of embarrassment in your retorts. Again, claiming that Iā€™m inferring Ethereum own Web3? First Web3 is a js library to you, and now because Ethereum.org has an article on the differences between Web2 and Web3, you believe itā€™s Ethereum who own Web3??

You are an embarrassment to yourself.

I guess wishing was not enough.

Iā€™ll be the better man so you donā€™t have to.

:joy: :+1: