Wappler slow performance

This will be a great feature. It should put an end to my biggest fear when using Wappler - saving a file following a Bootstrap update resulting in the site design suddenly disappearing.

Obviously there are a few issues to sort out. The main issue I’m experiencing is general performance. Wappler seems to be less responsive than before, even with the experimental features turned off. The biggest problem is the time it takes to open a file;there is usually a long delay before Design view loads - perhaps 10 or 20 seconds. For example, I tried with a fairly simple file with 80 lines and a couple of includes. The file opens with Design view blank. After 12 seconds the page starts to appear, with some styling missing. After a little over 20 seconds, the page is complete, with the styling. If I close and reopen the file, the problem is the same. It’s usually so quick, I don’t notice, but could there usually be caching which has been disabled? Also, looking at the debug log, there are lots of entries referencing /sentry/bundle.min.js. Could some extra debugging have been switched on? I’ll send a debug file and video. This site has a custom Bootstrap theme - but not created with the Theme Manager.

What do you mean?
The theme manager compiles a sass file based on the values you entered. On save the Bootstrap 4 CSS is being generated in the default Bootstrap 4 folder in your site root.
Your custom already compiled css file will not be read (not sure if you expect that though).

We will investigate the slowdowns you are experiencing.

I mentioned this because the issue is not related to Wappler creating a custom Bootstrap file - in this case, the custom Bootstrap was not created using Wappler. It seemed that it could be relevant.

as my project is getting bigger. wappler is super slow especially with the code editor.
when i type there is a delay (1-2 sec)
this is not a new issue btw

Seriously freezing…

I can confirm the freezing on Mac, Its a little better after a fresh install.
Try to get a crash log, just waiting for it to freeze again.

Theme Manager is great, tank you Wappler team!!!
Personnaly I would also like to ba able to modify some global stuff for each site like the color for the “Links” (Bye bye annoying “thing of the past blue color”!) , color for Heading etc.

Note: I noticed that when I click on something in the Theme manager panel it freeze from 4 to 7 seconds.
And scrolling trough the Font styles is very slow.
I am on Windows 10 Pro.

While @Teodor is having his nightly nap, I thought to give you the answer to your perceived problem, with excuses for this uninvited interception.

The freeze is caused by the Sass2CSS compiler doing its excellent work in the background.

Hi Ben your comment/help is very much appreciated, thank you!
It is just that I find it a bit annoying that it is happeniong each time I click on something in the Theme panel, and also, scroling trough the Fonts style drop down list is very very slow, no sure that this is because of the Sass compiler for that particular issue.

Thank you very much Ben :slight_smile:

Awesome!!

I just tested the Fonts drop down, and found it to be very responsive.

I am also on a Windows 10 Pro system, I do have an SSD drive making a huge difference to the speed when using Wappler.

The compiler only comes into action when a change has been made, so it should have no effect when just scrolling through the Fonts drop down.

I have a faint feeling, that something else on your system maybe holding Wappler back. Could it be an anti virus software, could it be that the HDD needs defrag?

Apologies for not having an answer. This is mainly because I cannot replicate the problem.

Wappler froze and crashed few times…

Thank you Ben for your feedback. I might not have SSD drive but I have still a very performent PC and I usually run Photoshop, Wappler and other softwares at the same time and never experimented a slow down or freeze in Wappler like it is happening now.

I just notice a higher than usual Processor usage increase in Task Manager when I use the theme panel…strange…

Let see what Teaodor have to say about it.

Thank you again Ben :slight_smile:

1 Like

I spoke too soon. Wappler froze on me.

Solution (so far): Uninstall Wappler and reinstall.

Could you confirm that it has to do nothing with the new Theme Manager?
Were you working on it intensively before the free/crash?

Also describe the nature of the freeze/crash - on which screen and after which action it happened.
Did Wappler quit completely or just freeze?

The only major component we recently updated is the Monaco editor that might be giving problems.
We use it not only for as code editor but also to apply any changes in code - so it is used all the time.

Wappler froze completely. Happened a few times after reinstallation. Very high Memory and some extra CPU usage. On subsquent freezing, let it go and after a while, Wappler closed down. Not sure where the cause is.

After dinner (about 2 hours from now) I’ll take it through a more rigorous test and I will come back with my findings.

try capturing a debug log. Also make sure the experimental features are off.

Also add some screenshots/video of the freezing and cpu usage.

I see a crash report coming in from Sentry about your crash Ben - but it is just because of the high memory usage eventually. So something is looping a lot first.

So hopefully with the debug logs on we can track it.