Wappler Roadmap 2022/2023 and beyond

ionic got bought by outsystems.
capacitor won’t have a long/happy life.
it’ll still be open source though (i hope).

Oh, wow! Yes, I know Outsystems. It’s beginning of the end of ionic capacitor.

There are a lot of useful and very necessary things in the roadmap. But I didn’t see the most important and necessary functions for myself there. Therefore, I would like to ask about your plans for the following functionality:

1. A microservice architecture that would allow you to create many interconnected services using a single security system. What is missing for this in the current version of the Wappler: JWT authentication from the Wappler for verification of different clients as well as the API of various services included in the pool of the microservice architecture created with the help of the Wappler. Are there any plans to work in this direction?

2. More convenient/customizable work with the server landscape. It would be very convenient to connect to the server (it is important to emphasize to any VPS, not just popular cloud providers) and configure all the necessary environment on it:

• put the necessary database;
  • install redis;
  • install any other programs necessary in the work, using docker.
    Now we have to configure the environment either with the help of a portainer, or with our hands through the console. Are there plans to improve this?
  1. Implement a docker container orchestration system on the server for more efficient and smart scaling of the application. There are practically no tools for scaling the application right now. The maximum that can be done is to increase the number of replicas of application containers when using docker. But this method cannot respond to dynamic load changes, and the distribution of current traffic occurs according to a very primitive scheme. Are there plans to improve this?
1 Like

This is already addressed by the Resource Manager - but we will be adding more global docker services there indeed to allow you to quickly deploy a number of custom docker services on your VPS servers. And that those can get reused by multiple projects, like various database servers, redis, s3 services, mail servers, monitoring services etc.

We already have the extendable features interface build in the resource Manager, just have to define more docker services now for out of the box usage.

2 Likes

Thanks for the answer, George. I don’t use the Resource Manager yet, because at the moment it only allows working with cloud providers, and not with any VPS/VDS servers (if I understood the Wappler interface correctly).

But both my questions (2 and 3) are not so urgently needed, since the servers can be configured independently and only once.

For me, the most important question is 1:

Are there any plans for this?

I am extremely hype for Golang to be added.

4 Likes

Multi screen support would be great and I also like being able to opne multi instances for multiple projects. I am not a full time user so being able to copy code from other projects without opening, closing, and reopening is a big help for me.
On a side note it would be good to see some training on using Wappler for mobile development? This could be third party (and may already exist?)
Thanks for all the work guys.

I was very happy to see the integration of Leaflet included here as a ‘coming soon!’ I have been wishing for that for a while. The post states Q3’22 … did it get shifted to the ‘back burner’ is there a new ETA? Or did I miss an announcement? :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Keep it up Wappler team!!! It’s nice to see some of the bigger items (Capacitor, Couch/Pouch) getting released.

1 Like

@George, a lot of items on the list have been tackled in the last year. Maybe we could have an updated roadmap to look forward to in 2024? :wink:

9 Likes

Alright folks, buckle up because Wappler’s roadmap for 2024 and beyond is about to take you on a wild ride that’ll make you question everything you thought you knew about app development! :rocket::volcano:

1. Telepathic Coding Interface [2024 Q1] :brain::computer:
  • Ditch your keyboard and mouse, we’re going full Jedi mind trick! Just think your code into existence with our new brain-computer interface.
  • Accidentally think about your ex while coding? No worries, our AI-powered “Thot Blocker” will keep your code clean and your mind focused.
  1. Quantum-Powered Compiler [2024 Q2] :atom_symbol::cat:‍:computer:
  • Forget optimizing for performance, we’re straight up breaking the laws of physics with our quantum compiler technology.
  • Your code will run so fast, it’ll finish executing before you even hit the deploy button. Take that, Schrödinger’s cat!
  1. 4D Visual Programming [2024 Q3] :exploding_head::art:
  • 2D and 3D are so last century. We’re adding a mind-bending fourth dimension to our visual programming interface.
  • Navigate through time and space as you build your app components. Just don’t get lost in the space-time continuum!
  1. Blockchain-Based Version Control [2024 Q4] :unicorn::link:
  • Forget Git, we’re putting your entire codebase on the blockchain. Every. Single. Line.
  • Now you can pay gas fees for each commit and merge. Your CFO will love the added expense reports!
  1. AI-Generated Meme Integration [2025 Q1] :robot::poop:
  • No more wasting time scouring Reddit for the perfect meme to add to your app. Our AI will generate dank, relevant memes on the fly.
  • Automatically rick-roll your users with every 404 page. You’re welcome.
  1. Scratch-N-Sniff Code [2025 Q2] :nose::dash:
  • Engage all five senses with our revolutionary Scratch-N-Sniff code technology. Each programming language will have its own unique scent.
  • JavaScript smells like vanilla, Python is banana, and PHP is the sweet aroma of tears and broken dreams.
  1. Edible Component Library [2025 Q3] :hamburger::fries:
  • Introducing the world’s first edible component library! Hungry while coding? Just take a bite out of that hamburger menu.
  • Open source, closed mouth. Bon appétit!
  1. Cosmic Radiation Debugging [2025 Q4] :radioactive::bug:
  • Forget breakpoints and console logs. We’re harnessing the power of cosmic radiation to debug your code.
  • Just point our patented Cosmic Ray Debugger (CRD) at your computer and let the universe do the rest.
  1. Interpretive Dance Driven Development (ID3) [2026] :dancer::man_dancing:
  • Expressing your code through the art of dance. Each programming pattern now has its own choreography.
  • Pirouette for polymorphism, moonwalk for monads, and twerk for tail recursion.
  1. Singularity-as-a-Service (SaaS) [2027] :hole::robot:
  • The ultimate end game. We’re building an AI so powerful, it will absorb Wappler and all of its users into the singularity.
  • Transcend the boundaries of human existence and become one with the code. Resistance is futile. :mechanical_arm:

Say thanks to CIaude for this roadmap reinterpretation.

6 Likes

Yes already working on it :slight_smile: - it’s amazing!

5 Likes

Wow just going back and reviewing the roadmap post. Hard to believe that was almost 1.5 years ago. How does that post compare to the current roadmap?

April 1 spoilers.

2 Likes

Claude is quite entertaining compared to ChatGPT which has been completely lobotomised this last year. Of course it still makes quite some dad jokes but to be fair with it I laughed with the “thot blocker”, blockchain git, the PHP reference obviously, and the singularity-as-a-service. He made no references to NFT so extra points for that.

2 Likes