Wappler & Industrial Solutions

Wappler has been offering the latest technologies to all users in the easiest and fastest way for a very long time, and it does this successfully. I also started to use these technologies in projects. Our successful results showed us that we can also use wappler in industrial solutions. ( such as scada , mes and IoT solutions ) . Wappler is now a potential application that can be used not only for a standard web app, but also for real-life industrial solutions. For example, wappler now supports natively with side solutions such as redis, treafik. However, it has not yet taken a “full” step for IoT solutions that will be used very frequently in the future. What I want to say right here is in Wappler;

• time-series database support,
  • MQTT support
  • GraphQL,
    etc…

There is no such basic support yet. You can think of the graphql support I mentioned in my previous posts as follows.

Now imagine that you are creating a page in Wappler in SPA model and you add server connect for the queries you need for each page. You can see all the JSON that is needed or not in that page in the JSON response from the user API that logs into the page. Of course, you can store the fields you do not want in wappler in json, but if you want to use the similar query in a different field, you create a new server action and the process proceeds in this way. Here graphql doesn’t process fields you don’t need and avoids load generation. In addition, graphql’s other purpose is to pull data from more than one data source at the same time. Of course, there is a similar structure wappler now. You can pull data from different sources in Group and parallel. But this solution is not very flexible. It will take an incredibly long time to make a full comparison of this and fit it in one post, but when you research graphql deeply and examine it by thinking about wappler, what I mean will be fully understood.

Other time-series and MQTT support is one of the must-haves for communication with Iot devices. Currently, a small-scale realtime stock, chat, etc. applications can be made with Wappler, it provides a lot of resources and mysql etc. as a database. You can use it, it won’t be too much trouble. But these databases are relational databases and are not designed for this purpose .

It is also a part of this structure to put the data flowing with mqtt in a queue and to avoid problems with delays . I think it is necessary for Wappler to see these shortcomings and move on to industrial use before it’s too late.

3 Likes

@s.alpaslan
I totally agree with you. I work in the IOT field and I can see the future moving that way. I highly recommend implementing IOT technology in wappler such as MQTT, OPC UA, OPC DA, modbus…etc. IOT market is going to be massive in the near future!

1 Like

I think this is something useful, but niche. Better served via improved extensibility of the framework and UI.

2 Likes

It would also be a great discussion topic for a Meet-Up. I, for one, would love to learn more about what you currently/plan to connect to - I suspect it might be a huge spark/lightbulb moment!

1 Like

Hi Ben, Thx for reaching out & for your support yesterday. Please excuse my ignorance, I come from the business/creative side of developing. Can you provide some examples of what Wapplers are “currently/plan to connect” to? Thx Mark

That’s what I would like to know too :wink:

I’d like to learn more from @s.alpaslan or @mmanimator12

Are you talking about connecting to different server types or something else? Can you provide some examples? Thanks!

I’d imagine that they connect to a server that aggregates data from a variety of sources (IoT devices such as temperature probes in food supply chain, smart meters in electricity supply etc.) and look to manipulate/display that data on a web dashboard.

One could also potentially then use that data to automate/control other devices (such as turning on a heater if the temperature from one of those devices is too cold)

Ben, All Very Cool Ideas! So a food producer or restaurant owner could check his smartphone to confirm (or be alerted) if his cooking oil was too hot or cold.

Well you are certainly thinking way ahead of me. Based on your input I will try to come up with a way to survey the community & attempt to secure a presenter on the subject.

Is there a topic, function or site you might like to present at a future MeetUp?
Thx, Mark

1 Like

I think you miss the point, I added this to a thread of two people (Sid and Gilbert) who were actively discussing it. I just linked your meet-up post.

@bpj
Thats absolutely correct. I am a building automation engineer. I do hvac controls, lighting controls, security systems but automation industry is bigger than that. In my job I have to build hmi or front ends for users to connect to their systems and have full control. Currently the softwares I use to build my front ends are way behind than what wappler can do but whats the point if it can’t connect to automation servers (plc devices). If they implement opc ua and/or mqtt then wappler would become a true iot tool where you can pretty much do any front end for any industry. I think that would be a HUGE addition to wappler.

2 Likes

Actually, I was thinking that after adding nodejs and socket, a lot of creative ideas will be created in the community. Because in Wappler, not only desktop applications but also applications with remotely manageable screens such as kiosks or small screens are made and made with electron js :slight_smile: Apart from that, socket connection is popularly used in chat software. Apart from that, its main purpose is to process instant information and present instant information to users. . ( there are many more usage topics ) . I used socket connection with voip in my last project. (in the call center - agent console). Now I will use scada and wappler to the end, let’s see what happens :slight_smile:

(I made a sample phone call, it can be seen towards the end of the video :slight_smile: )

As someone who has been using Wappler for a very long time, believe me, the potential of Wappler is growing with these ideas.

Yes, as @john said above, it may seem like a niche business, but we should definitely not think of it as a niche business because as we change the technologies we use, different software developers in different worlds are doing excellent work with many other products. I think we need to think more broadly.

1 Like

In addition, it is a good alternative to websocket if MQTT implement for App/Server connect.
As alternative

1 Like

Yeah. I see it very useful and Wappler can for sure make use of IoT tech. But there are a lot of systems to be integrated just to serve a niche while the majority of users won’t get much benefit from it. That’s why I think the team can serve better the user base by improving extensibility adding more places where we can hook into and interact with Server Connect in further ways, app connect and even extensions to the UI. Then anything is posible and everybody benefits from that time invested in extensibility.

2 Likes

hi @BiBo ,

Although mqtt and websocket are similar, they have different aspects;

MQTT : It incurs minimal overhead during communication.
WS : There is a lot of overhead when we have a lot of IOT devices during communication.

MQTT : Specifically designed for IOT devices with an aim to reduce the bandwidth and provides assurance of delivery.
WS : Mainly developed for full-duplex/bidirectional communication channels.

MQTT : MQTT and Websockets are similar to TCP and IP protocols; basically, they are one layer above the other.
WS : They are a low-level protocol.

MQTT : Multiples parties can be able to subscribe and publish messages.
WS : Designed mainly for point to point communication.

They both use a TCP based protocol so they look similar but of course they are designed for different purposes. WebSockets was initially developed for the full-duplex communication channel between browser and servers. It can be used for connectivity of embedded devices, or you can say IOT devices, but it will not be able to hold signals very well.

Hi @JonL,

you are absolutely right . I don’t know if you have ever used graphql before or searched in depth, but it can greatly affect the use of graphql and the current wappler. I didn’t say to use Graph only with IoT. My goal is to create existing recurring server connects (I use the sc library very often) I thought maybe it would be a much more practical way. If you haven’t studied graphql before, I strongly suggest you do. Look at this screenshot;

REQUEST :

RESPONCE :

What you see here is the result returned from only one api source and I only need to get one or two fields from this query result. This creates a huge data load. Graph with wappler can solve this.

I can only get the fields I need by doing the same query with graph . This lowers the data load. In other words, it would be great to create a huge sc in the wappler and use only the areas needed within the pages, and it would be an incredible performance.

What do you think a similar approach would be like?

MQTT that I mentioned for the IoT side, I think it will be used by existing wappler users after a while, but it may be the first for people who are not familiar with wappler and are interested in IoT. and different users of wappler can also get a chance to win. Because I have not encountered a similar application yet. I don’t know if you’ve met

The reason why I mention the time-series database model is that if any of the existing wapler users want to store price information with mysql , mariadb, they can do this without a time-series db, but they will not see the desired performance after a while. Because they are structurally different.

ps : You’re absolutely right about creating client side modules, we can achieve a lot. :grinning: :+1:

1 Like

On the one hand, we have someone (Jon) saying its a niche (maybe, when you consider the existing user base),
and on the other, from a very experienced Wappler developer who is WAY OUT THERE w.r.t Iot, MQTT, etc., pushing for something he knows will be of great value to Wappler… and perhaps that brings in 100,500,1000? new developers because Wappler is now the coolest thing for these technologies.

hmmmm, worth a look, instead of a quick dismissal, IMHO.

1 Like

You can already call any graphql server and do your query with API connector. Graphql is just another API provider…

yes george, there is no application that offers a visual interface like wappler for graphql. (I haven’t seen or heard of it)
I am 100% sure that it will be great to edit all api resources to be added to graphql via wappler and create transforms and resolvers.