Wappler 4 RFC: Use system menu

Now that we have stabilized our Electron core for the upcoming Wappler 4, we are now looking forward to add more cool new features and enhancements.

So I will be posting some topics to get your feedback before we start adding those new functions.

A recent request from @JonL to use the system menu. Jon's Wappler UI 4.x personal wishlist - Electron edition

What do you think should we empower the system menu or leave the current one as is?
Initially we made the current menu - to be more in the style of Chrome and also be the same on all OS. This is because on Windows and Linux the regular menu just takes too much space.

However recent developments on Window, show that it can be done better, like in the recent Sublime version:

On course on MacOS, we will use the default system, as there it is just one shared menu that doesn’t get on the way.

So cast your vote :slight_smile:

• Yes, use system menu on MacOS and drop icon menu on Windows/Linux
  • Yes, use system menu on MacOS and also system menu per window on Windows/Linux
  • No, leave the current menu as is

0 voters

1 Like

I certainly wouldn’t make this a high priority. I really don’t see the benefit as opposed to how it is now.

I would have thought that anyone with a Mac would understand the rationale behind this.

You already have the system menu bar taking up valuable space. Might as well put it at good use and help declutter Wappler window UI.

I’m not against it. Just certainly would not place any priority on it.

So you guys wouldn’t like prioritizing things like.

Searching documentation(and even the forum) and other helpful info directly from the system menu bar.

Not having edit(and other) actions duplicated.

Having a decluttered menu with submenus.

Having nice control about how your UI looks with very clear and bright key shortcuts info.

Youuuuu weirdos :smiley:

2 Likes

I’ve voted ‘leave it as is’. I’m on W10 and never use the menu. From Jon’s comments I take it it’s more of a mac thing I suppose.

I’m more interested in the ‘command palette’ from jon’s wishlist so I can just keep on not using the menu’s and search for things whenever I need it :slight_smile:

3 Likes