Showcase Apps (Rather than Web Sites)

Is it true there are no real showcased apps (rather than Web sites) we can show potential new Wappler users?

If so, can a few people come forwards with an app to showcase?

1 Like

There is one e extremely good app in the showcase at least. I think a big issue is developers donā€™t want to give away how it was done.

I know I wouldnā€™t put anything I do in the showcase if I still did public sites.

I certainly had a similar opinion when I first joined the forum, that there only websites in the showcase and nothing really that I considered a sophisticated web app.

Fortunately I could see the potential of Wappler and trusted that the limitations were really in your own skills/knowledge and that it would be capable of building what I wanted (with a lot of learning on my end)

I guess a lot of it comes down to people building internal apps or apps for clients who have no desire to share their app online.

What do you think Steve was talking about in this 2007 presentation?

Fast forward to 2020 and we have a realisation of his vision; itā€™s called PWA.

If you have a spare couple of hours, have a look at the seventh meetup of Delft Developers & Designers and be inspired by real stories from the field.

IMHO: most (not all) applications will be better served using this technology

1 Like

Developers donā€™t want to give away the fact that they used Wappler? Iā€™m very curious to hear the reasons driving that decision.

Well. if youā€™re building an app or a SaaS product, you might not want clients or customers to know that you built it using a RAD tool.

You might think your app/SaaS product has more ā€˜validityā€™ or professionalism if it is perceived to be built by software engineers.

Just my 2c

Hi guys,
not sure what different people in this topic and the linked one mean by ā€œweb appā€ but every dynamic web site is a web app.

Most of the showcases here are actually web apps, but you donā€™t see the ā€œappā€ part, as usually it is some CMS/CRM system managing the site content on the admin part, which you donā€™t have access to and donā€™t see.
I know quite a few people here (just to name a few - @swf @psweb @nshkrsh etc. ) building really huge and complex CMSs which you donā€™t see, when looking at the showcases, as you only see the public part of the web app - displaying the data and info. And iā€™ve seen some of these web apps - they are impressive! 1000+ server actions offering the admins thousands of options so they can manage every single part of the front end.

So the question here is not whether you can build a web app with Wappler or not, but if you are expecting to see a twitter or facebook clones in the showcases section i doubt you will see such. Most of the people here are creating what their clients need - so that is what you actually see posted as showcases.

5 Likes

While you are technically right, i would think that a lot of ā€˜noviceā€™ developers, much like i was when i first started with Wappler, would not look at a ā€˜standard websiteā€™ be it dynamic or static, and think of it as a web app.

I think when you look at any of the 1,000ā€™s of SaaS products on the market (like an Invoicing system, or staff scheduling, or note keeping, or data management etcā€¦) or a CRM/admin dashboard, thatā€™s when people might think ā€œOh, thatā€™s a web appā€¦ that is used in some commercial sense, its not just a websiteā€

Thatā€™s my opinion anyway, on what some people might think, based on my own experiences.

Now that i am more experienced and educated, i think differently and know what goes on in the backend of a dynamic website, especially one built to allow the customer to manage the content themselves post development.

3 Likes

Iā€™ve built a complete, custom CRM for a client using Wappler. It hooks up with Xero for their invoicing, has calendar facilities, customer records, orders, PDF invoices, etc. and is completely bespoke to them. Iā€™ve not added it as a showcase because the whole thing is behind a login but Iā€™m contemplating duplicating it to a generic non-branded version with demo data to show off the capabilities.

5 Likes

Iā€™m sure a lot of people would want to see thatā€¦

1 Like

I will certainly add my app in a few months when it is launchedā€¦ am happy people create their own login and play around with itā€¦

3 Likes

I would also like to chip inā€¦

A lot of the time certain projects are either private (i.e behind a login or paywall) like Jon has pointed out or I would sign some kind of NDA with the client as a lot of time the projects I work on are specific to a particular organisations processes that they would rather not let their competitors have access to.

I believe it is on the roadmap to improve mobile development within Wappler and now that we have Node, I think that this should be the next big update to improve and simplify the process of creating mobile apps.

I would love to see Ionic framework as an alternative to Framework 7 and I have also been playing around with AppGyver recently for mobile development, which has itā€™s own pros and cons but has a reasonably friendly drag and drop style UI.

5 Likes

You are probably correct, but it sounds like a lack of confidence on the part of the developer rather than a concern over what the customer or client will assume.

It also highlights what I believe to be a common problem with many in the tech spaceā€”enamored with the building rather than extreme focus on the business (ie the selling of a solution to a problem). Developers should use the best tool for the job, not what will stroke their ego.

When it comes to ā€œthe stackā€ customers and clients only care about what is used for deployment, not what is used to edit the code. And when the conversation does come to the editor, they want efficiency and sustainability. Wappler speeds development (ie reduces cost) and does not lock the client into anything.

Iā€™m not suggesting the Wappler banner be added to every app, anymore than any other tool, but I donā€™t think it needs to be hidden by withholding from the showcase.

4 Likes

Yeah, you should! But why removing the brand? A good demo system is a great sales tool.

The brand is of my client. Iā€™ll try and make a duplicate and brand it for me :slight_smile:

1 Like

Unfortunately this happens all the time and is definitely a reason apps donā€™t get shown. I donā€™t agree with what the client is thinking, but sometimes decisions are not our own to make.

1 Like

You and me both!

4 Likes

Better support for Fw7 than it currently has is essential. Wappler has made a great integration with Bootstrap. I would like to see the same level of integration in the Fw7. As for the Ionic, Iā€™m not against it, but it feels like the Fw7 has more elements and is just as well optimized as the Ionic.

However, it would be very good if Wappler added support for Capacitor, in parallel with Cordova. In some aspects, it has very significant advantages over Cordova.

It is very interesting that you threw a link to AppGyver, which uses React Native (as I understand it). Exactly it is about the support of React Native that I dream of in Wappler, because this would allow you to make applications as similar as possible to native ones in terms of performance.

You mentioned that AppGyver has its pros and cons. Could you write a little more about them? What problems did you encounter and what did you like?

2 Likes

I will have to write a post some time with a review but in short itā€™s a very good product and free if your companyā€™s revenue is under $10M I believe (which is probably most of us on here!).

There is support for Android phones, tablets & TV, iPhones, iPads, MacOS and progressive web apps. No sign of AppleTV yet.

To remain free they want you to build and host your own external back-end or file hosting, which could easily be done in Wappler with a database attached. You can use their CDN to host the actual mobile app or download and host yourself. Just a word of caution, the code generated isnā€™t really suitable for manual edits even though itā€™s based on React.

2 Likes

I completely echo this. No oneā€™s asking them to put a banner on their site that it was made with Wappler, but just posting to the community like on the Bubble Forum, where many users share their apps built with the service. I can understand the secrecy for client apps, but no ALL apps made with Wappler are client apps.