Server Type Comparison

Hi

Is there a comparison or guide on what hosting and server type is recommended by Wappler and what the pro’s and cons are? Couldn’t finde one in the docks or here in the community.

I’m coming from an php background and always deployed my websites via FTP on a apache/nginx/litespeed-server. But it looks like if things are moving more to a nodeJS + Docker direction.
And it looks like if some Wappler-features like layouts&partials are just on nodeJS as well.

I have played with nodeJS a while back, but the whole callback-hell made be move back to php.

Since I’m starting a new project and I’m new with Wappler (and I can’t easily change from php to nodeJS later on), I’m thinking about what would be better? Stick to what I know (php) or learn what’s mode future-proved?

Or should i not care a all, since all the code is generated by Wappler?!?

I’m planing to build different types of projects like a SEO-focused directory-site, a little SAAS-Web-App as well as a mobile app.

I’m most concerned about

• ease of learning / onboarding
  • ease of hosting / server-management
  • supported (Wappler-) features
  • performance / resource consumption

What do you think?

Regards
Jan

1 Like

With Wappler, node is no more difficult than PHP but faster and more efficient.
98% of the development in Node and PHP is identical, the main differences are that Node has many extra features like dynamic data refresh, scheduling, sockets etc
I use both, PHP for budget/ small projects as the hosting is much cheaper (i pay fixed price for unlimited hosting) but use a VPS for node. Lots here like docker for deployment but personally I am not a fan, i prefer the traditional FTP as it gives me much more control on what I am doing.
Basically node wins on all your questions

1 Like
  1. Learning NodeJS is not a problem when using Wappler. See
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6dmX2qCAeP0&list=PLUjqTJN3byC9fUoXFnoNGlYBCBZOJUPca
    for examples
  2. You can host your NodeJS applications using cPanel, Plesk or any of the cloud hosting services like Digital Ocean, AWS and Azure.
  3. There are a growing number of supported features within Wappler. NPM (Node Package Manager) can be used for features that are not available in Wappler.
  4. As long as there are no heavy calculations that require lengthy processing times, NodeJS outperforms PHP.
1 Like

Oh, really? First time I heard this. Why is this? And how long is “lengthy”?
In one project a an algorithm and some data import that take longer than just a few seconds.

Data import/export and external i/o are asynchronous and very fast in NodeJS. So their speed is not a NodeJS problem just the amount of data determines the length of processing.

By heavy calculations Ben means arithmetic calculations like having very complex formulas but that is a rare case as you usually have simple calculations like additions, subtractions and totals and not something like calculating prime numbers.

2 Likes

ok, thanks.

BTW: @ben, I love you youtube tutorial. Great speed and learning curve! Can’t wait for the next one. Wappler is best (and maybe underrated) tool for rapid but professional application development I have seen so far. I’ll have my first little app ready in a few days. If there is anything I can help you with, let me know.

1 Like