Questions from bubble refugee

Hi, what I miss in Wappler is fresh video courses and examples of building apps, why there aren’t any? Or they are actually not necessary?

Any other advice for switching from Bubble to Wappler in 2023?

I just completed the “Wappler 5.0 Quickstart” video series. It’s fantastic and will tell you most (if not all) of the basics you need to understand how to use Wappler. It helped me a lot understanding how to translate bubble think into wappler think.

It’s super helpful for understanding how a database is managed in Wappler vs. Bubble and in particular how data is retrieved and manipulated with “workflows” as bubble calls it.

The author of the video series answered my question in a different thread about continuing the series building up the front end of the website, videos which should show up in a not too distant future. The current videos mostly deals with the meat and potatoes, setting up the backend, creating admin roles and pages etc.

Another thing I found super helpful is just browsing around on https://getbootstrap.com since that’s what powering the front end of your app, and since it’s not a Wappler thing (just how they’ve chosen to present the knobs and dials in the editor) there’s lots and lots of information about bootstrap out there.

edit: And I think, following along with the video course, you will quickly find that things you had to bend over backwards to achieve in Bubble comes natively in Wappler as a 1-or-2 click solution.

The beauty of Bootstrap vs. Bubble elements is that you can fully customise Bootstrap to fit with your design. A rather obvious example is dropdowns, which Bubble makes it near impossible to style so most people would default to rebuilding a “hacky” version with toggling “focus group” elements and “repeating groups” attached to text elements. You can leave that stuff behind you now :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I agree with twinkle.
Watch the wappler 5.0 quickstart.

However, i personally spent too much time trying to research, after you finish basic videos. Just start building, the more issues you run into the better. Ive spent way too long researching, where as if i just started building, id be much further ahead, its a much quicker way to learn.
Idk what app your after, but one of things i started off learning was setting up database for auth, and then setting up auth workflows on server

But if you run into any issues, feel free to contact me and ill try to help out how i can

5 Likes

That’s great advice :point_up_2:

Learn the basics, and start building, with the confidence that the editor (Wappler) won’t hold you back the way Bubble does.

1 Like

I’m into week six now since I gave up on Bubble. I’d agree, just get stuck in and build, progress is probably going to be slower than your Bubble learning experience, but you have so much more flexibility with Wappler and you own the code.
I think the most confusing thing for me initially, was that the majority of videos were for a previous Wappler version, so a lot of things the video described didn’t look right. Once you get used to that and realise most of the functions are there, but may be renamed or in a different place, it becomes much easier.

When I originally moved from Bubble, to Wappler - the learning curve was significantly steeper with Wappler, than it was with Bubble - however, as you take each new step you realise how much more powerful and flexible Wappler is. As all have said, get stuck in, ask questions.

1 Like

Compare Bubble and Wappler with Tram and Bus; the tram has to stick to the rails while the bus requires geographical knowledge. The latter has a steeper learning curve, but is more flexible.

7 Likes

Do note, a lot of the ultra-bottom fundamentals aren’t covered in many Wappler-specific tutorials, as they have to do with web dev in general and not specific to Wappler. Coming from Bubble this is very non-intuitive, almost like there should be a sort of a quick pre-course before attempting Wappler. Be prepared to look at Bootstrap (as mentioned above), the concept of layouts/partials in page structure, CSS (in particular media-queries and mobile-first dev, so you can understand how the media selectors work in Wappler behind the scenes combined with bootstrap classes), and even basic HTML structure. None of this is typically known coming “right off the boat” from Bubble.

The price-of-admission is well worth it, however, and is very empowering.

An example of a very low foundational ah-ha coming form Bubble sounds like this: reusable elements in Bubble are highly contained and hard-to-interact-with within a parent page, but in Wappler, a “partial” can be fully interacted with, simply by manually calling out the variables/elements/server connect components within the parent page/layout. You won’t find that covered anywhere, but is something you’ll automatically understand once you gain ground on the basics (and shake loose the shackles your mind may have coming from Bubble).

1 Like

This is huge, this is something i wish i realised earily. I was under impression with wappler that you couldn’t pass variables or access anything in/outside of partials (reuseables), since i was use to the bubble.io restrictive way of reuseables.
Once you realise this, it will open everything up, oh the nested partials i have

1 Like

This post is helpful with translating Bubble to Wappler. My Early Experiences Going from Bubble to Wappler + Translating Bubble to Wappler

This will help you learn the basics from @Hyperbytes .
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLUjqTJN3byC9W9UFjsV9f9vefe_ZSFQfb

This channel covers some of the more advanced topics by @Adetoyinbo1 .
https://www.youtube.com/@whatswappler199

There’s also a beginners guide created by a fellow community member @Eric_F .

3 Likes