Question on docker ready to run projects - are any planned?

Does anyone on the wappler team intend to set up a fully working site that has a landing page with login and create account options. And pages for all the possible redirects. Maybe a page with all possible database input types listed as examples. And all the security and email set up right.

That would be really nice - I love Wappler but even after a year I have not done anything meaningful with my sql - it just seems really hard. If a project gets posted that works with docker then users could use it to kick start their project.s Changing the example data for their data and or adding to the baseline project.

Hoping this is in the pipeline since it would really help folks who want a full up working system (maybe with purchase options too) but think it is too hard to build from scratch.

This could also be set up as an extra cost option, 5-10 dollars for templets either from wappler or as part of a section that experienced users set up for sale. I know 5-10 dollars does not seem like much but if a few hundred users buy on them it might be worth it since someone that is really good could likely knock it out in an hour…

3 Likes

Hello @norcoscia
Yes, we’ve been discussing this with the team so we can provide some basic demo apps for user login, protected areas etc.

However you say you were not able to create a simple login system for a whole year? Are you sure you have followed the documentation, as if you do, it’s not hard at all…
Example, everything you need to create a login system with log in/out, restricted areas and password reset functionality: https://docs.wappler.io/t/security-and-login/2836 really explained step by step.

1 Like

@norcoscia, as with any new program or software, there is a learning curve that needs to be overcome in order to use it. I know of no program that includes everything out of the box.

To address some of your concerns, to create a basic landing page with login and create account options, I would recommend you watch the webinars created by @Hyperbytes. https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLUjqTJN3byC9kzuh1GKJ8jzmoLFw_eHU4 I have watched them many times and they form the foundation of my website.

I’m old and I just do this for fun to try and keep my brain from turning into mush. Too hard for me - but I think it is still a good idea since you have the docker integration done. I bet lost of folks have stuff that already works that could be sanitized in a few min. This would be a great learning tool for new users and folks like me.

Lots of programs come with working examples or have templets that can be downloaded - I love wappler but with out any background it is a lot to figure out and I tend to forget it quicker than I can learn it.

Maybe I’m the only one - I must have a bad diet :slight_smile:

I second this as well. I would be great to see a full example from start to finish. I am on day 2 of 7 day trial, so I am hoping I get somewhere before I have to make the decision to continue with wappler.

1 Like

I strongly recommend you guys to start with the docs. A template without any knowledge of which step does what would only make things more complicated.

@norcoscia I may be wrong but I understand your post like - I’m not interested in following the docs in order learn how to use Wappler, sorry if I understood your post wrong :slight_smile:

I have read the docs and tried all the examples more than once - it is hard - you may not think so because you know all the web stuff it like the back of you hand.

If it is so easy why not just provide some stuff ?

1 Like

tbh… the docs are not that helpful. They do not mean much to me and I learn better ‘hands on’ pulling apart projects to see how they work. Working in this way for me gives the doc’s context.

Just the way I learn! :see_no_evil:

Mik

1 Like

Some stuff is provided in both the documentation and in the youtube videos that I linked above.

If you are having trouble with a specific part, please post where you having trouble and either the Wappler team or the members of the community will be happy to help you out.

We will, as i explained my first post:

As for the hard part - is it hard to follow the step-by-step docs showing these things, or is it something else which is hard to understand about the workflow?

Sure, all i am saying is that it’s better to start with the basics in the docs, so you know what to do when you open the ready example project.

I think that comment is unhelpful :thinking:

I am just trying to understand which part of our documentation is hard for the users to follow or understand, so maybe we can improve that.

I have bugged people for a long time - with a lot of help and a user building the foundation of my site I was able to build on it and turn it into something pretty nice. But If I did not have the working templet I doubt I would have been able to do it.

The docs have too many moving parts - trying to figure it out is like putting together a 5000 piece puzzle - I need to start with a 100 piece puzzle and half of it done.

Anyway not trying to start any arguments - if you guys do it great if not I can take up knitting

www.mypizzamaster.com

I have about a thousand hours in that site but the DB stuff is too hard in wappler…

Norm, i (we) would really be grateful if you can provide some example of “Doing this exact thing is hard, because i don’t understand this or that.”
By saying database part is hard, this could mean anything.

Asking me that is impossible to answer - like asking someone what part of learning 6 languages is hard - like I mentioned. There are so many steps involved is setting up a working site that it is too much for someone like me w/o a coding background.

But then everything is in the docs - and it guides you step by step. Really how more detailed could the docs be?
For example - have you tried starting with basics like the tutorial explaining how to connect to your db and list the records on the page? It uses database data, and it is the most basic thing you can do in Wappler with dynamic data. If you know how to do this, then you already know enough to start working with dynamic data on your pages.

Forget I asked :frowning:

Norm, I only need to understand which part of the docs is hard for you to follow and why, so we can improve it.
Is connecting to the database problem, if yes - which part and which step of the tutorial is not clear?
Is something in the login and securing pages wrongly explained then?

I am really not trying to be rude or start an argument - just collecting feedback, so i can improve the things in the docs.

1 Like

Norm and Michael, I completely understand where you are coming from. The problem for the more weathered Wappler user is to know where and what you want help with.

It would be great if you had a project in mind so that we can concentrate on a tutorial to cover those aspects.

2 Likes