Question on docker ready to run projects - are any planned?

I agree as well. I sat on Wappler for about 5 months and did not use it because I 1) did not have the time and 2) was overwhelmed by learning a new piece of software.

However, once I took the time to go through the documentation, watch the webinars, and ask specific questions, I was able to learn the basics and then some of the more advanced techniques.

3 Likes

For what is worth. I like your website. I am trying to improve my pizza dough(neapolitan) making skills. So next time I make some dough I will visit your site :slight_smile:

Regarding the template you are asking for whenever I have some free time I will create a ready-to-go template and upload it to github.

Right now my main priority is to port to Wappler some apps that are eating through my monthly budget for side projects by having them hosted on another service.

4 Likes

I am looking for ideas for the next webinar series @norcoscia, maybe i could do something as a docker based project which could fit the bill IF ENOUGH PEOPLE ARE INTERESTED.

The last webinar series saw numbers steadily drop off and I became a bit unsure if the effort of webinars over straight video tutorials was really worth it. Webinars take a lot of preparation and are very stressful to do compared with making videos

I don’t want to re-do things I have done in the past. I already have videos/ webinars on login / logout forms etc, not sure how I can re-do them without them just seeming like a repeat of the previous stuff.

I am also in the process of setting up a separate “quiet room” where I hope to redo old outdated videos and make new ones over the winter so again, open to suggestions

5 Likes

I am thinking about providing the most basic example of a blog as a docker project. It will include:

1. Admin login
  2. Protected admin area:
    a) list blog posts page
    b) insert/edit blog posts page including image upload/resize and medium editor
  3. Front end:
    a) a page which lists the posts with paging
    b) a details page, which shows the selected blog post content

Do you guys think this is enough for an example project, which you can play with and explore the basics of database operations (list, insert, update, delete), image upload and process, login, restrict pages?
What this project will include is 100% covered in the documentation already.

3 Likes

A blog normally just handles a single user flow. I think people would be more interested in multi-user flow plus admin backend.

How about a cooking recipe app?

Each registered user can create several cooking recipe list and the admin can view all the users and recipes created by them.

To summarize:

• Landing page
  • Register
  • Login
  • Recover password
  • User recipes page
  • Admin page
2 Likes

I think we should start with the most basic apps first, Jon :slight_smile:
So users can play with it and maybe get the logic, by checking how it’s done in the docs.

I really think the best way of learning how to use Wappler is to get the logic behind server actions on the back end, app connect on the front end and the connection between them.

Once you can build a simple blog, by not just learning steps by heart, but using the logic - then you can extend it to a really advanced system.

1 Like

I was under the impression that cooking and to-do lists where the basic to-go examples you can find in all the programming books :smiley:

But a blog is OK of course. I just think that people will miss being able to see how different users would interact with their app.

2 Likes

Actually, i was thinking about a todo list as well :slight_smile:

1 Like

So, for me I am looking to make the following app. Its a Weekly Diet planner that allows you to drag and drop meals around the calendar where the calories/points are worked out.

Here is my Google Sheet of what I’d like to do

So
 my thinking is 
 2 databases, one for foods and one as the ‘calendar’ database. Both are writable, and a couple of vairables to add up.

I’d like to learn how to
1 - Create a Logging in Screen (doc covers)
2 - Add a Icon to add/edit foods and their points (I assume this will be a form? linked to DB?
3 - Grid out a table and map the cells to the database
4 - Work out of looking up the values in the planner against the foods database and adding together daily
5 - Add a page that shows graphs on totals, consumption, units, weight trends etc
6 - Would be nice if you could drag and drop foods from one day/time (lunch, snack) to anther and everything updates on the fly.

So. my question is, is there enough literature in both the docs and the video for me to achieve perhaps just one day (rather than a whole week) - So, where do I start?

Cheers
Mik

I like the recipe idea, users should be able to add recipes, edit them later, have them viewable if user makes them public and you must have an account to use the recipe maker and upload photos.

PS. NP is hard unless you have an oven that can hit NP temps

Some of mine below

2 Likes

My stomach was grumbling when @JonL mentioned food, but now after @norcoscia posted pictures, I am really really hungry !

Sorry to side-track the conversation

4 Likes

You are officially my favorite pizzaiolo. Very good looking np!

Yeah, I am struggling with the temperatures. I bought a good stone but still it doesn’t cut it in a conventional oven. Next thing I will try is the small G3ferrari oven which I believe can get to around 400Âș Celsius.

@scott it’s only partial side-tracking :smiley: It’s his website after all. And he did a damn good job! Now we need to teach him how to work with databases so he can make even a better site. Any pizza fan owes him that!

2 Likes

Not that much difference @JonL, same idea just an extra stage of linking specific recipes to specific users

The big step is where we have multiple admins and the need for record locking to stop concurrent updates, have something planned for that already though

1 Like

Just going to add my two cents. I learn best through inspiration and would love to see video tutorials of how popular websites/web apps are cloned using Wappler. I remember that years ago a team cloned Twitter in Bubble. It served as inspiration to builders as well as viral marketing for Bubble. Along those lines, I have found the videos by @psweb to be very helpful since they provide a behind the scenes look at developing a real website/web app.

1 Like

When I started learning Wappler I found the best way to do it was watching @Hyperbytes video tutorials. Once you learn how to make a SCRUD, login, security restrictions suddenly everything makes sense. Most of what I learn now is from the docs and searching on the forum. I remember being quite confused at the beginning when looking at the docs, but with some experience with the program it’s pretty easy to follow.

3 Likes

What about finishing the blog series? :slight_smile: I thought it was great because it was teaching a more complicated database structure and how to use many different tables within a connection that are linked. Thanks for the charts upload!

I’d be very keen to see your ideas on that @Hyperbytes as it will be very useful for an upcoming project!

Yes @Logan, i really need to finish that one!

1 Like

To be honest, I feel that “webinars” feel like an outdated way that enterprise-y companies try to remain relevant, and it’s cringy. For example, at work (international financial enterprise) we use ExtJS and its creators constantly push webinars. It’s pure cringe. Just record some video tutorials and call them that; tutorials. Just my opinion.

Regarding learning; of course those who don’t know anything about databases, servers, client-side functionality, the request/response cycle etc. are going to struggle with Wappler. To say it’s suitable for those with zero web development experience is incorrect. The documentation is good at showing you how to achieve certain tasks, but if you don’t understand the “why” then the documentation won’t be of much use to you. For example, you should understand how a user registration system actually works before trying to implement one. Write the steps down in English, then try to develop each of these steps with Wappler. That’s how I’d approach things.

Totally agree. Problem is, as far as I know, that no one has claimed that Wappler falls into that category.

Wappler is marketed as visual builder for dynamic, data driven and highly interactive custom web sites, CMS systems and mobile apps. No need to code, thanks to its integrated, first class reactive front-end and back-end frameworks, visual two way data bindings and Bootstrap 4 builder - you can focus on productivity and creativity.

Even that description fails to describe the full power of Wappler. It does however imply that web development knowledge is required, even for the smallest of projects, knowledge of Bootstrap, HTML and CSS is required, just as we need to know how to publish a site and include SEO requirements.

The main ziel of Wappler is productivity and creativity.

1 Like