Output to browser as action steps complete

What is the best way to output the status of a running Server Action to the browser?

I have a multi-step database insert/update Server Action, and I would like to display to my browser updates as it reaches/completes various action step.

ex:
Comparing existing values… (new line)
Importing New Accounts… (new line)
Building Output Table…

Spinning Font Awesome icons would be cool too (I think I can manage that, if I can get progress output sent to my page.)

Any suggestions welcome.

Hi Lee,
You can use the spinner component and show it while the server action is executing. Check the docs, they show how to add the spinner in a button - but it’s the same for everywhere on your page:

Each action file would have to be called separately to do this, correct?

Is there a way to trigger those milestones while the action is running… say, when it completes the Database Update step, then when it completes another step within a singular action file?

No, the progress/executing state is for the whole server action.

Just to clarify, to accomplish what I was describing, I should separate my action files into small, distinct actions, then use the progress/executing data from each as they progress. (Using the success action to trigger the next step.)

No, there is no point in creating separate server actions.

Maybe you can try adding a setvalue step before each of the steps in the server action, then use its value on the page to show different messages.
Example steps:

• setvalue name: currentaction value: upload
  • upload file
  • setvalue name: currentaction value: import
  • import csv
  • setvalue name: currentaction value: insert
  • insert step

On the page then show different spinners when the currentaction value changes.

But usually these steps are so fast that you are probably only going to see the messages flashing for some milliseconds.

1 Like

Maybe a related topic, for more understanding of how Server Actions work:

1 Like

If you really have a long running server action, writing directly progress from it won’t work because all the output is send at the end all at once.

But there is a way :slight_smile: - it might look a bit complex, but bear with me :slight_smile:

What you can do is save the progress messages in a Session variable and then use another Server Action to query the progress regularly while the long running action is still busy.

This will be something like:

Long action:

• IMPORTANT: make sure you increase the script timeout in the action settings otherwise the action will be terminated after 30 secs.

Steps:

• set session name: progress, value: upload started
  • upload file
  • set session name: progress, value: import started
  • import csv
  • set session name: progress, value: database insert started
  • insert step

progress action:

• define $_SESSION with name ‘progress’
  • add a step set variable = $_SESSION.progress
  • enable the ‘output’ option for the step

Client side

• add the server connect action for the progress
  • populate a progress somewhere with the message
  • create a action scheduler, that will run the progress action regularly, but don’t auto start it
  • create a define where to run the long running action.
  • on run of the long running action also enable the action scheduler so it starts poling of the progress server action
  • on end of the long running action - stop the action scheduler.

So something like this might work :slight_smile:

Maybe @Hyperbytes or @fatherofinvention can try it out and if it works make a nice tutorial from it :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Sounds like fun. I’ll give it a try.

I will have a look at it and add it to me list :roll_eyes:

1 Like