Needed Feature for Database Connections -- Allow Wappler to Save ONLINE connection strings

Wappler is the first web creation tool I’ve used that does not allow the User to Create a Database Connection that can only be used by the Online Database Server.

Currently I must FTP to the Wappler folder when it is uploaded online.
Then I have to open the Wappler connection/s used during development & change the credentials Wappler allowed during development to the correct connection settings for Online Database access.

It would save time AND give one less critical step to keep in mind
if Wappler would not by default ASSUME that the Online Database URL or hostingprovider MUST MATCH the location or definition of the Database Hosting online.

I suppose this would be handy for a DB sqlite connection ?

When I select TARGET Wappler should also offer the option to create a Target defined as FTP Target does not resemble MySQL (MSSQL, etc) credentials.

OR, simply do not run this security check between a Connection & FTP targets.

Allow the User to create and save the Online Database Connections to be used later or immediately without giving any error as Invalid.

Give us perhaps a separate folder for Uploads – Same files as Development Application but with ONLINE Database valid credential string applied .

Then the FTP Target ONLINE will only upload Server Action connections that work ONLINE.

I’m sorry but I’m confused - what do you mean by saving connection string ONLINE?

Your connect string is generated by Wappler and uploaded securely to your web site for usage. So it is becoming “online”

Do you mean you want to edit the database connection and credentials live on your site? That would expose a great security risk.

I suspect this is what he means, already in the feature requests

Yep – that’s it –

Wappler doesn’t accommodate making the Connection that will actually be USED ONLINE

I’m used to making an Online connection – the string that makes the connections needed to use my database server provided by the Hosting Provider.

During development when I want to test things online I select my stored Online Connection by name WITH the Publish or FTP Upload session.

I can keep the website open in my browser & check immediately how database connections are working.

Meanwhile Wappler would keep the locahost connections as default for using my Mamp database server.

Wappler doesn’t allow me to Create the Dedicated ONLINE Connection.
It is so simple I’m just surprised that it has not already been the default built-in to Wappler.

Because it is not when Wappler first uploads/publishes a project Online I have to regularly FTP to my online server – open the Wappler connection file – manually change the Connection string so that Wappler pages connect to my database.

For all the automaticism built in to Wappler this is kind of – silly.

Not only that – but as I said, I have to modify a basic Wappler connection file completely outside of Wappler.

This is precisely the kind of Connection that Wappler will not save – producing an error-- I have entered the details to show you what it would look like for this screenshot. But If I try to SAVE it Wappler will report that it is INVALID simply because it can’t recognize what’s so special about it – that should NOT be Tested from my computer.

The Connect String that is uploaded by Wappler, in my case, IS NOT the Properly configured Connection needed by my Hosting provider.

A REMOTE Database connection which Wappler allows because it connects to the database that I have specifically allowed to have a remote connection ONLY works from my own computer.

When it is time to really Go Online – THAT connection will not work at the Hosting provider.

I have to, yes, manually, CHANGE the string to comply with the internal hosting environment. In some cases it is merely changing the URL for the remote connection to “localhost” – but, still, Wappler denies me the ability to create 2 separate Online Connections.

The remote URL connection is the only kind of connection Wappler allows for online databases.

I think you may be a little confused regarding this

I also use a host which does not allow connections from a remote client using the standard connection string, it uses different connections settings through a specific port to connect via a remote . I have to use these setting when using clients like Navicat, Heidi or MySQL workbench

HOWEVER, Wappler does not connect to your database directly, it connects to a script on the server which in turn collects the data and returns it to the client. This means that your online database always sees the connection as coming from your server, not the client and therefore your standard online settings should work.

What i want to see is the ability to connect to a local database when using “local” but the remote database when that is specified as the target.

1 Like

I understand every single word and concept, Brian, and I thank you for your response.

What has changed today is that the mysql when I was working yesterday was NOT Connecting OR FTP server was refusing connection for its own reasons.

Either situation could have caused a new Online mysql connection to fail as Wappler auto-verified it whether I specified “Test” or SAVE Connection.

So during that time yesterday not only were New Online DB connections refusing to be saved but

my Trusty always-working “connection1” was now INVALID to Wappler – and so Wappler refused anymore to allow me to work with this page. (since its “connection1” was being tested live)

So, I still wish that the User can Click “SKIP Connection Verification”.

Because this all depends upon the FTP server being contacted First to upload the MySQL database connection file – my Connection File failure might also be an FTP FAILURE in the first place.

I don’t want the Connection file always CHECKED – I’d like to leave it alone, independent for a while.

I’d like to work Truly INDPENDENT of the online server EVEN WHEN I am working on files that WILL Depend on a correctly configured FTP and MySQL server file.

So, INDEPENDENCE from a Live FTP & MySQL server would be appreciated so that I can create new pages without Wappler refusing to go past the point of FTP & Online MySQL server Verification.

By the way, I keep using “Ben” instead of BRIAN :shushing_face:

Thought I was suffering from an identity disorder!!@

1 Like

This has been Implemented in Wappler 2.7.0