There is the “Flow”. It is a state of work, when everything goes perfect. It is when you feel like the tools you use are an extension of your mind. You think about something – and instantly implement this. You do one thing, then another, then another – all this goes quick, easy and naturally. You see all the information you need, and have no distractions. Your mind is clean, you calm, you know what you are doing. You are in the creative drive.
And there are flow killers. These are annoying obstacles that break your Flow or just prevent you from going to that state. This can be some annoying bugs and errors. Or it can be some excess moves and clicks that take your time. Or when you need to manually search for something. Or when you don’t know what button you need to click. Or it can be situations when you need to take a pause to remember what context you are in now. Eventually, you feel frustrated and confused.
So, the Flow is our bro, and flow killers are stinkers.
There are many flow killers all around the Wappler.
So I decided to make a public list of the flow killers that irritate me the most. It is not all requests I created or voted for. There are only ones that really affect my everyday work in Wappler.
And I encourage you to join me in this initiative!
There are some reasons for this:
- You will have the written prioritized list, so you can come back here from time to time and bump some of the features you expected the most. And it will help you to track the progress.
- Your requests will get more support, fresh thoughts and critical views too.
- We all use Wappler differently, so we will know each other better and see work in Wappler from different angles.
- New users will be acknowledged of some of the Wappler’s issues, so they will be prepared and less frustrated.
- The Wappler Team will see what bothers users the most and maybe will correct their plans and priorities.
To be honest, my ultimate goal here is that we all together will be able to convince the Wappler Team to balance the 2023 roadmap so it will include more UI/UX improvements. So the focus would be on quality, not quantity. I’m speaking not only about “week/sprint of UI/UX improvements”, but a whole month dedicated to it. Or maybe it is worth marking the whole 2023 year as the year of better work flow in Wappler. Because there are some simple FRs that have waited for years already. I can’t imagine how much collective time it would save if it were implemented early.
Before we start, few subjective notes:
- It can be Top-10, Top-30 or whatever suits you.
- I tried to prioritize my list first, but quickly saw that I can’t highlight favorites here – all those requests matter for me. So instead I grouped the list by areas. You can sort or group your list as you like.
- Numeric list looks better
- For each feature attach a link to the request. If there is no FR, create one
- Regular links through ctrl-K look more compact and easier to read than embedded ones. But this up to you.
- Better discuss particular requests in related topics.
- If you like the FR from some other’s list, make sure to visit the topic and leave some comments, bumps and likes.
- That’s ok if your list will be similar to others. Don’t miss some items only because everyone already wrote about it. Because this is the whole point — figure out and show what is more important.
Here we go!
Keyboard Support For Various Popups
(particularly in my case I need it for quick close of popup panels by press “Enter” on the keyboard)
DATA BINDING PANEL
Add more formatting to the visual expression editor
(particularly, return the spaces)
WORKFLOW EDITOR AND FLOW EDITOR
Better visual grouping for nodes in Server Actions and Flow Editor
(I have a awesome new idea and I hope to present it soon)
Improve Wappler’s validation when working with server actions
(and in flows too)
PAGE ELEMENTS PROPERTIES
PS: I withdrew the last 3 but I still left Top-30 in title for a nice number.