Most popular / recommended server / db providers for wappler

Hello everybody,

first of all I would like to thank all the people on the forum for super help and advisory on Wappler possibilties. Last 48h was a ride but the more I learnt about Wappler the more confident I got :slight_smile:

Would you be so kind and lead my way to most popular / best server / db providers that you use for your projects ?

I’m looking for a GDPR-ready environment as I’m EU based. Thank you very much for help!

Regards,
Guru

1 Like

Uhmm where to start!

I will say Digital Ocean, but that’s because sometimes I get lazy at writing posts.

Someone will most probably write you a full blown review that will make you want to buy him a 12-pack of beers.

3 Likes

On the database side, I believe most people use MariaDB (a MySQL fork) or PostgreSQL - both are nice options. I’ve started with MariaDB and later moved to PostgreSQL. MariaDB is most famous between regular people and projects like Wordpress, PostgreSQL is most famous in business/enterprise stuff. So, if you don’t have a clue, start with MariaDB just because it might be easier to find hosting for it (if you’re looking forward using shared hosting)

As for the server target, I use NodeJS, and that’s where future Wappler development is mostly concentrated. But, you’ll find lots of people using PHP as well

For hosting, you’ll probably like Hetzner, their GDPR documentation gives you a smile (e.g.: they have a DPA generator), and they’re relatively cheap too

3 Likes

Are there any downsides of both hosting and having your database with Digital Ocean, seems pretty affordable and makes it a little more convenient to have them both under one account?

not sure DO supports MariaDB, but I’m also wondering, with resource manager and all that jazz (that I don’t fully understand yet) how much of a “ease of use” difference is there between using MariaDB vs PostgreSQL?

Not really. People might say that having both in the same is a risk if it goes down. But DO is quite big for that to be a problem. If you need high availability and redundancy you should plan for that anyway whatever provider/s you choose.

Both DBs are good enough to start. Take into account that Wappler Database Management capabilities are abstracted behind a library called knexjs so from Wappler’s UI you can basically do the same with any db engine which is limited by what knex allows.

But if you go down the rabbit hole of DBs then each one of them have their pros and cons.

You might be selecting mysql(or its fork mariadb) out of familiarity, but that’s just because wordpress and a bunch of established consumer pieces of software went with it long time ago. So it might seem as the better choice and it is a very good choice, but not better than postgresql(or worse by that matter).

PostgreSQL is just as feature packed and supported if not more than mysql/mariadb. It’s also the defacto pick among relational databases for enterprise.

It’s also getting a lot of traction and becoming more popular among the masses since Supabase picked it to build its entire product on top of it.

In general, PostgreSQL would be better, but there is a problem when using it in Wappler.
So I suggest MySQL is the right choice at the moment.

@nickneustroev Have you tried using citext?

2 Likes

Im personally going with postgresql, no specific reason. I dont think really matters too much what you database you go for, just stay away from document/noSql databases.

Interms of hosting, when im going into productions, im going to be using digital ocean managed db service, its really really simple to use and connect. (not free, about 5-15$ a month, i think GDPR complaint as well)
For development, ive specifically gone with oracle server, its 4 cpu 24gb ram server that is completely for free, that server will be able to handle anything you can throw at it. And then just running docker on it, running a docker database on it.
The above oracle server, wont be easy, but i did it for learning security, ports, setting up proxy managers and so on. Thats if you want to learn more infrastructure side but its not necessary.

If your after a free database for development, you can try free here on:

or (mysql (and some limtiations))

But there are so many databases as a service now popping up.

Also for local development you can setup a local db on your computer, but i dont like to do that as i like to always have idea of how long queries will take and just getting used to using a database remotely.

1 Like

When you know, you know. I even have two pet production projects on it :joy:

I hate oracle software, but man…those free ampere servers :joy:

1 Like

i know right, i saw a video on it ages ago, free ampere server with 24gb ram, and im like yeah thats just click bait and not true. Best find, i got so much random stuff running on there.
Even got a home lab server with 224gb or something ram, will i ever need it, no but is it cool? hell yeah hahah

2 Likes

You could probably squeeze more performance from their free tier than from a Bubble dedicated plan :joy:

2 Likes

hahaha oh for sure, not even close.
I wouldnt be surprised if dedicated plan is like 20$ 2cpu 4gb server haha

I also plan to move some of my azure functions away to that oracle server, that should be a nice 800$ a month saving.

2 Likes

Wait - what ?! 4cpu 24gb ram FREE? Where is the bait ?

and we have 2023 ?

Free is a good price :smiley: - can you guys drop a link ?

Omg…

rly?

Yep. It’s not user friendly though. You need some devops knowledge.

1 Like

@x1Guru
Its not the easiest system to run, i greatly prefer azure or do, but its not too bad.

Server:
https://docs.oracle.com/en-us/iaas/Content/FreeTier/freetier_topic-Always_Free_Resources.htm

(i also noticed, that in my region it wouldnt let me setup free server, because so many people are using them. But if you just sign up for billing (put card details in), it will skip the queue and assign you one, and youll still get it for free)

1 Like

No, I decided to stick to MySQL for a while. I don’t really need Postgre that much.

But thank you for this suggestion! How would it work inside a Wappler? Will I be able to just use a visual DB query builder?

My technology stack:

Hosting: Hetzner (use Wappler’s promo code)
DB: PostgreSQL
Server model: NodeJS

1 Like

DigitalOcean has been my preferred provider for years. Their interface is easy to use, provides most everything you will need, and are very affordable. You should almost always use the same host for everything that you’re hosting (web server, database, load balancers, etc). You do not want to introduce latency between the various parts of your hosting stack. Most of the larger providers give you a choice of region for your hosting (Amsterdam, New York City, Singapore,etc.). All parts of your hosting should be in the same region and datacenter. For instance, Digital Ocean has two separate datacenters for Amsterdam. Make sure you select the same datacenter for everything.

DigitalOcean also provides Managed Databases and I would recommend using one so you do not have to worry about keeping it up-to-date and available. It’s worth the $15 per month in my opinion.

2 Likes

Love it! thank you!

Anytime! Also, Wappler helps you manage them with its Resource Manager.

Here’s an example

2 Likes