More global options needed on UI for server connect

Hi.
In the newer current version - 4.6.3 - a new channel mechanism has been introduced.
On of my team mates accidentally updgraded to 4.6.3 and many files started getting update forcefully - even without “accepting” the update from 4.6.2 to 4.6.3.

Interestingly, if I discared the changes via Git, they would get applied again on save of any file.
This is causing issues with core Wappler files, which we tweak a little to work better for us. Its very important for us to be able to make these changes - and the app breaks if we can’t do it.

Not sure if this was a delibrate change or something is wrong with the updated logic.
Earlier, files were shown which needed an update, but selecting “no/cancel” would suffice and none of the files would be touched.

We had to uninstall and revert to previous version to resume normal working.
Please shed some light on what this change is, and how can I protect Wappler core files from getting overwritten by Wappler without consent?

well this might be an issue. As we now no longer check file dates only but also file contents, so user changes are no longer preserved.

What files are you changing and why? Core files really shouldn’t be changed.

Two files primarily.
One needs a domain input for sending emails via Google Workspace Gmail SMTP.
And other is config.js to set DB session store instead of dedault to prevent logout on each server restart/deployment. And no I cannot use redis.

There is a third change in config.js where we comment cookie config line in session store again, but that one is not very important.

Both are required and there is no workaround.
I am sure there are other users modifying other parts as well.

You really shouldn’t need to change tge core files maybe @patrick can have a look.

Config.js on the other hand is user settings do those are just synced per target.

Its the lib/setup/config.js file I am talking about.

Hi @patrick
Any ideas on what could be a solution here?

That will be an inconvenience. Can you add some meta data to the Wappler project configuration file to ignore checking files marked to be ignored?

I also have several files tweaked and that is a recurrent theme.

1. Face some roadblock
  2. Modify core file
  3. Start nagging in the forum so the enhancement is applied.
  4. It is applied after days, weeks, months or years(has happened)
  5. Revert to core
  6. GOTO 1

Example:

15 months passed until I was able to revert to core standard. Now I got a similar situation with redis and AC validator that would literally break my app if I wasn’t able to modify core.

2 Likes

Well if you made some changes you can always uncheck those files from being updated in the Project Assets Updater window when they popup.

But still you are using them probably an old core file and problems might arise when we change tge otger files.

So it is better to request the changes to be done officially by us.

That would have been fine. But the issue here is that files are getting updated even when not selected from this window.

You can’t select individual files. It’s either all or none per parent component, right? So this means you update all AC files or none for instance.

You can just expand the frameworks groups and select only the files you want to update.

Then there is a bug. I can’t do that.

Nor can I. It does seem to be a bug; I think it was possible in previous versions. (I’m using Windows.) The buttons to select/deselect all checkboxes work (but of course are no use without the option to select individual checkboxes).

Regarding the main subject of this thread: why were any files changed - core files or not? Surely no files should be changed if ‘Cancel’ is chosen when the Projects Assets Updater dialog appears. If any files could be changed, I hope this will be considered a bug.

Any update on this?

@JonL/@TomD Have you guys upgraded to 4.7.0 or still on some older version? I am on 4.6.2 fearing this breaking change.

I’m on 4.6.4.

You can’t cherry pick files so what I do is update everything and discard in GIT. Then the project updater will show just the files that I don’t want to update. It hasn’t changed my workflow too much.

Things would get ugly if Wappler would update everything automatically. But I believe that is not in the works.

1 Like

Yes - and the bug hasn’t been fixed (4.7.0, Windows).

The checkboxes in the green box are clickable and work; those in the red box are not clickable:

Well they are - double click them :slight_smile:

They are. Tom is high :rofl:

The problem reported by @sid and I is the inability of selecting/deselecting individual files inside each framework. Which is not a bug but done by design. Nonetheless a nuisance in the balls for us :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks. I should have realised: single-click the checkboxes on the right, double-click those on the left. :slightly_smiling_face: (I think the usability police should be alerted. :policewoman:)

1 Like