Me thinks we may have some new visitors to the forum

Lots of folks estimating a huge price increase with their apps.

11 Likes

I’m looking forward to the further development of the situation. Most reactions in the Bubble Forum are negative. Some speak of a price increase of up to 10x without optimizing the existing apps for the new “workload units”.

Our company operates apps on the Bubble platform itself. According to the current situation, we see a price increase of 4x for some apps.

Its about time to recreate everything in Wappler :smile:

6 Likes

I have only gone through 50 posts and I can already see the same trend as always. Agencies living of bubble ecosystem downplaying the impact on end-users.

4 Likes

What’s interesting for me is the “app which hasn’t been optimized” part. With the user base of bubble being mostly non-tech, non-code people, most probably a lot of them have their apps “not optimized”, which can really bring an unpleasant surprise at some point.

5 Likes

I read through a lot of that post and what horrified me more than the price increases was the fact some people are actually choosing to base a business around locking in so deeply to a third party. In my opinion, its a fundamental part of start up planning to ensure a solid foundation for any business. Having to rely from the get-go on a third party to such an extent is worrying.

I’ve never thought of this before but a big problem with the non-tech people working with Bubble is the fact they’ve omitted knowledge of how these systems are actually working on the backend, the sever overheads involved in what they are creating etc.

Bubble will have known this for years so it’s also surprising they haven’t built into their system a way of trying to find out where the wasted processing is, and having something to mitigate it before having to resort in massive price hikes for their customers.

One guy is going to go from $150 to $430 from this change. And that’s just for one app. Remember that bubble has a per app pricing :joy:

F to pay some respects for Bubble users yet again.

Meanwhile I am also following a conversation about Directus changing their license model so they can continue providing their software Open Source and free for those that generate less than $10,000,000.00 in revenue. The tone of the conversation is soooo different.

1 Like

Well that was to be expected…

@Nigel_Godfrey can you unban me please? :joy:

Reason - Not adding to the discussion

These guys….the nerve! Of course I am adding to the discussion. Just in a way it doesn’t suit their story telling :joy:

4 Likes

Maybe we should do the same, before you start “not adding to the discussion” here as well :rofl:?

4 Likes

I don’t like you :joy:

Also, I know your flight number…

1 Like

Ok, ok, you’re safe this time.

giphy

1 Like

*Proceeds to ban in a week’s time.

1 Like

I’m sure I’ve been tagged a few times internally for my “contributions”.
:-1: :eyes:

2 Likes

Another guy built an empty app with only one call to the backend consisting of a simple search on an empty database that returns no data.

Result: in the starter plan($32/month) he can do that 1000 times a day until he reaches the plan’s limit.

He better start optimizing his blank page and dataless backend as payload size also affects the amount of work units the app uses.

1 Like

And of course, a person with zero knowledge of databases, structures, API calls etc. would never be able to do this. The “I am an entrepreneur with the next Google search idea” guy will be kind of lost, designing his app.

2 Likes

The community is now starting a crowdfund to buy out Bubble VCs “keyboard pledging” $1000 and $10000 figures. The delusion.

1 Like

Personally I will go from 29 to 600+ for 10 users, without taking into account new users making it impossible. It’s an app in a niche market which relies on backend workflows and each extra paying user would make cost me an unknown amount of money as Bubble has not told what a WU is and how much each action costs. At least if I were to self host I would know the capacity I still would have available.

I spent 2 years building it and bubble made my business plan obsolete with 1 post

3 Likes

I just checked my bubble.io app out.
Im lucky i started the migration a while ago, and got wappler devs to help, they did amazing job. So should hopefully be migrating fully soon.
But my bubble.io cost will go from 129usd or something, to well over 599usd, and thats before considering growing and thats only like 300 active users for my use case
EDIT: if i get 1million more actions, ill need to go from 599usd to 1500usd i think

Really seems like the 100m investment they got really influencing their decisions. the current 130usd a month i pay, was already for expensive for crappy server, nothing special like 20$ max id imagine. and my capacity was always like 10-20% range, so this is just greed, charging on per action basis.

Anyway, love yall at wappler, please dont change. I dont mind price increases, but flipping complete scalability of app and its design is crazy, no idea whats going through their heads. I love you all for allowing us to keep full control of our code and hosting abilities. If i didnt find wappler a while ago, id be scrambling

And im suprised by their response of just saying just to optimise their clients apps, when the whole point of their business is to bring in non-techy people, saying that bubble.io will handle everything.

1 Like

This is the main reason I made the decision to leave Bubble in 2019. The insane amount of “capacity” I was using for simple API calls, the terrible performance, and the first steep price increase in 2019 was enough to make me realize the quickness at which Bubble allowed me to build was hiding all of the bad things that would greatly out weigh the speed of building forever.

It was awesome for making prototypes, but anyone trying to build an app as a business shouldn’t use it. Keep it for internal tool development or prototyping.

3 Likes

Yeah i cant wait to get away full. I just have a fully live website running on bubble.io with monthly invoicing, so its something im quite nervious to fully move away from as i got the logic all sorted there.
I started out from no knowledge about web dev at all, so i love bubble.io for that, but took me a while to realise that i needed to move away, after my app was already in production.

But amount im learning with wappler, all will be well worth it

1 Like

Bubble Forum is bursting at the seams, so the VP of Marketing just released a new statement: