MacBook Pro with BigSur Non Responsive and Fan Running

Hi George! Thank you for the quick reply. I followed your recommendation; within 30 seconds the high cpu behavior returned. See screenshot below.

What do you have open in Wappler any specific page?

I’m going through Ken’s course and following the Facebook Social Login API walkthrough from Teodore.

Doesn’t seem that any thing is wrong. Maybe just restart your MacBook to be sure nothing is running on the background.

A recording of the behavior is enclosed. You’ll see as I attempt to click the tabs on the left-pane it doesn’t respond. I’ve rebooted multiple times since yesterday. I’ll keep investigating…

Please restart Wappler with logging, reproduce the problem and attach the debug log. See:

Unfortunately, I’m unable to find the Chrome debug location or the menu option to enable logging.

Below is the sample from Activity Monitor of nwjs Helper.

Sampling process 586 for 3 seconds with 1 millisecond of run time between samples
Sampling completed, processing symbols…
Analysis of sampling nwjs Helper (Renderer) (pid 586) every 1 millisecond
Process: nwjs Helper (Renderer) [586]
Path: /Applications/Wappler.app/Contents/Frameworks/nwjs Framework.framework/Versions/85.0.4183.121/Helpers/nwjs Helper (Renderer).app/Contents/MacOS/nwjs Helper (Renderer)
Load Address: 0x107321000
Identifier: nwjs Helper (Renderer)
Version: ???
Code Type: X86-64
Platform: macOS
Parent Process: ??? [1]

Date/Time: 2020-12-13 12:02:42.699 -0500
Launch Time: 2020-12-13 11:11:42.483 -0500
OS Version: macOS 11.0.1 (20B29)
Report Version: 7
Analysis Tool: /usr/bin/sample

Physical footprint: 8.6G
Physical footprint (peak): 10.2G

Hi @techagentmo!

I am sorry to hear about this problem. Sometimes I have this issue as well, but as George was indicating, it usually is when I have a lot of things open in Wappler, which does not seem to be the case with you.

What you are looking for is this:

Screen Shot 2020-12-13 at 12.59.31 PM

Choose the Restart with Logging option and then after Wappler starts up, you’ll be able to find the log file in:

• for Mac it is under:
    /Users/username/Library/Application Support/Wappler/chrome_debug.log
    or shorter: ~/Library/Application Support/Wappler/chrome_debug.log
    (You can choose in Finder / Go To Folder ~/Library/Application Support/Wappler first)

After you find the file, compress it by right clicking on the file and then you can drag and drop the file here in this topic.

3 Likes

Hi Scott!

Thank you for the reply. I wasn’t looking in the far-right corner. Good eye! The debug log is enclosed. It’s getting frustrated as I cannot work but for only a first few seconds. I tried lowering the CPU from 8 to 1 in the Docker Preferences per a support forum on Docker; no difference.

The debug file is enclosed.chrome_debug.log.zip (3.6 KB)

The only error I see in the log is something about git:

Error: Failed to authenticate SSH session: Invalid data in public and private key

Maybe your git is giving some troubles.

So check it out and maybe just to be sure - start a different project without git - see if you have problems and enable git later on if no problems.

I’ve deleted all my projects, reset my Wappler to default settings, and reinstalled Wappler. Same result. It just freezes and doesn’t respond. I’m happy to setup a screen-sharing session at your convenience or pay for support.

Thanks!

I’ve had the same problem with my Mac since Big Sur.

In my case, the machine’s memory (RAM) would drop after 30 minutes of working with a large page of coding and a lot of editing going on. I believe that it also would run short of drive space, which resulted in not having any room for dumping the RAM; additionally, it was trying to send a lot up to the cloud to make room… pretty soon resources would run low.

First I would get a memory alert from CleanMyMac, then window areas of Wappler would start shutting down various panes and turn them red (see images).

Screen Shot 2020-12-06 at 12.45.52 PM

I found that if I shutdown nonessential items that were running in the background (those that are loaded on startup, and apps opened but not needed), after this restart Wappler, everything worked as it should without any further problems.

Techagentmo check and see if you have anything running in the background that can be eliminated.

I’m continuing to have issues with Wappler becoming non-responsive as I continue to learn and buildout the apps within the platform. I noticed that if you work locally 100% with no active database connections to a remote location or use Docker; it’s fine. At times; I get frustrated as I have to wait 20 - 30 seconds after each mouse click to progress. No other program is having an issue; dBeaver, mySQL Workbench, Chrome, Outlook, and Excel. I’ve attempted to only have Wappler opened and no other app; same thing.

Any other ideas? Thanks!

Are you sure you are not running anything else in the background? Like a virusscanner or other cleaner tools.

Those can cause such problems. Maybe try to start in safe mode see if it helps

Hi George!

I uninstalled Avira Virus Scanner and booted into SafeMode. Same result. I confirmed I’ve booted into Safe Mode.

I may end up backingup my Mac and reformatting it. It’s only 3 months old.

Do you think installing NodeJS prior to Wappler when I was using Visual Studio Code could cause any issue?

I may need to do the same. Although I have no fan running, I am getting a warning of low ram.

My MacBook Pro only has 16 GB, but that has been sufficient with all previous versions of Wappler. These freezes and notices were not until we crossed over to 3.5+ …

The Wappler app is not a hog on ram, however could the nwjs renderer and helper be a bit weighty? Please note that I am no computer memory architect expert. It’s just an observation.

1 Like

300 MB of memory usage is normal and not that much.

@George I think you should check not the selected item but the one on top, seems that nwjs Helper (GPU) is using 47.73 GB memory.

Did Wappler run for a very long time? How is memory usage after you restart your MacBook, I can’t imagine it uses this directly, maybe somewhere there is still some memory leak and memory keeps increasing over time.

I’ve been working Wappler for a couple of hours. The 47 GB was virtual. The work that I’ve been doing is converting old DMXzone BS 3 pages. A lot of editing, i.e., deletes, copy and paste.

However, these lockup’s and freezes has been during these types of sessions with two or more pages opened. The save command becomes inoperable and only a Wappler restart will cure the issue.

Could be my hard drive is filling up, and the background uploading to iCloud is robbing the resources?

If you want, I can send another debug log, if you think it will help.