Import website from Webflow and build custom CMS with Wappler

Hi Ari.
I too was using Webflow and have started to explore Wappler from past 2 months.

Biggest obstacle - documentation. Wappler is a rapidly developing platform with new features and updates every week/biweekly. Read this - The Wappler's philosophy. So its difficult to find documentation for everything Wappler can do or what can be done in Wappler.
But, the good thing is that the community here is very-very active and helpful. And you can find many things in posts, even if not officially documented. And sometimes DMXzone docs help too.

Second obstacle - do you code? Webflow is a visual platform, focused on front end design. Wappler does both front-end and back-end. Visually. So, without hacking your way through CSS (and occasional JS), you cannot design a front-end as good & easily as Webflow, as of now.
And as for back-end, well, there’s nothing like it that I have used before. You do need to have a basic understanding of how databases/SQL works, and ASP/PHP whatever programming language you choose.

There are various tutorial videos around YouTube to get you started. I referred https://www.learnwappler.com when I started.

Now, as for the main question: importing from Webflow and building CMS in Wappler. I tried it too. Does it work? TL;DR - Mostly YES. :smile:
Wappler’s visual UI understands HTML tags & bootstrap classes. So, the structure shown in design view is dependent on that. You will have to modify certain tags/elements, replace them with Wappler’s App Connect & Bootstrap components to get it right.
It will take time to adjust to the Bootstrap way (at least I had to cause of no prior experience), but at the end, its all worth it.
The amount of time you will save with back-end once you get accustomed, will blow your mind :exploding_head:. I am still at a very beginner stage, but I am very impressed with how front-end & back-end work visually to create pages easily.
To sum it up, building your CMS over Webflow imported website is very much possible, but you will have to modify it as per Bootstrap to make something functional and make use of the visual tools Wappler provides. If you have any prior Bootstrap or Dreamweaver/DMX experience, it would be very helpful. Else, it will just take a bit more time, as it did in my case.

The level of Webflow’s front-end designer is still afar in Wappler, but the overall visual development makes up for it. And with every update, the designer gets refined.

4 Likes