How to set up development target for MS Sql Server

I’m assuming that the “Server Side” section in project Settings–>General is referring to the web server, not the database. Is this not correct? I have this set to “Own server” and “ASP.NET

What kind of web server are you using? IIS, NodeJS, Apache? You can use an MS SQL database with any of these web servers.

The server model is not your database type. It’s the web server your site is running. Web server and database type are two different things.

I am using an IIS server locally. Hopefully I can learn how to set up a MS SQL Server in Wappler.Can’t find it anywhere.

Yes I know this. You are showing me a web server selection; this is not what my question is about.
Since you asked about the web server, I replied appropriately. Please read my OP. Thanks

I’m hoping so. Just can’t find where to set up a SQL Server as a “target” or whatever Wappler needs to refer to it as.

You can leave this option, it’s not needed for what you are trying to achieve.
You just select your server model - whatever it is (from what i understand you are using IIS/.NET), and set up a new database connection. That’s where you select your server model:

If only it were that simple.

There is no “Remote Target” under “Project Options”

Well the error message explains you have not set up a target, pointing to your web server :slight_smile: or you have not selected it in the targets dropdown.

Still hoping someone can explain how to set up a SQL Server as a “target”.

You don’t setup a SQL server as a target.
You need to setup your target for the web server (IIS from what i understand from your post), when the web target is created you can connect to your SQL server database by creating a database connection…

Web server “target” completed.
Trying to connect to SQL Server but Username/Password is stopping me. The SQL Server uses Windows Authentication to connect. What should be used in the Username/Password fields?

I’m guessing that Wappler cannot use Windows Authentication to pass-through my network credentials, is this correct? FYI I’m on a large government network, not a prsonal computer.

This may help:

After a lot of experimentation I can connect to a local MS SQL Server but only through the “DATABASE CONNECTION” property panel, not the original set up panel which is used to initiate the setting up of the connection. See screenshots below

This never worked:

This worked:

I don’t understand what Wappler is doing here – it seems contradictory, a time waster until I made it work using the second panel.

Also, there were some settings I had to make in SQL Server but that’s another story…
Bottom line is Wappler cannot use Windows Authentication so you must set up a special user account for it.

If anyone needs details on how to connect to a SQL Server, DM me and I’ll write it up for you.
Thanks for your help.

Maybe this can help:

1 Like

Howdy

you def. should create another user in SSMS just for access from Wappler, with some limited/specific/non-superuser rights. wappler is no diff. than any other no-code service which would access an API on your server. You’d create a specific user to access that API to gain access.

you should never rely on the “sa” user - in fact, disable it - every hacker is going to try that username

you should never use the default 1433 address, for the same reason. at least obfuscate it by changing that MSSQL port to something else, and open that in windows firewall

IF, you’d already had these steps done, you might have had an easier path, because you’d have had experience with other tools hitting the db. Granted, its odd that MSSQL isn’t in that list you’ve shown - I’ve seen that myself.

Having said that, it is possible, after an install of Wappler, to successfully make a query to a brand new connection AND see data in under 5 mins… its just “first time blues” for you - sorry about that. But it gets easier from here.

Feel free to PM me or Skype for direct help.

1 Like

Thanks. My local SS setup mirrors what is suggested in the linked article but still the Database Connector fails.
Can you explain what the difference is between “Connection Properties” and the “Database Connection” (Direct Database Connection) are? I’m not clear why there are two database connection property panels and am unsure what this app will actually do in production–which will it use?

Thanks. My production SQL Server is hosted so I cannot remove the sa user or change the default port.
Yes, setting up a login/user on SS is necessary and I’m still playing with the Login server roles & user mapping to determine what the minimum amount of permissions and access will be necessary to enable Wappler to run CRUD queries directly and still work in our production environment. From a security standpoint, having an application manage a direct connection to the db is extremely concerning.
Until I get a reliable db connection in Wappler I can’t even start on what the security implications will be though. I’ve always relied on using .NET & Linq to access the db and security concerns are almost zero. Data is never accessed directly from my applications. Wappler presents a new paradigm for me.