Future Git and FTP site deployment

Now that I have played with and understand Git a little more. I do see the need for some sort of better synchronization. With the ability to revert to previous versions I could see things getting pretty messy. You guys amaze me.

1 Like

Because indeed now you can have exact version tracking of your site, we have to implement that for the live site deployment as well.

So you can easily publish a specific version and be able to revert back if something goes wrong.

That will be available where we also enable git for website publishing next to ftp.

With git deploy - you will never need to worry if you missed a file in the upload. The exact site version is fully uploaded.

And Git Deploy will work with most popular web hosts?

Plesk control panel has the ability to git deploy.
I’ve just installed it on a Lightsail instance, I’m trying to get it all setup now.
The plan is to have Wappler only commit files in a local folder. Then this local folder is tracked and updated to github. Then the plesk instance auto loads any changes straight to live from github.

Hi Tesla, welcome to Wappler.

I’m new to this whole Git thing. What are the advantages of using the third party app rather than having everything right within Wappler?

Benefits of having github between Wappler and your web server…

Web server Git deploy systems integrate with github not really with Wappler (ssh keys etc).

Collaboration. Many Wappler users can pull from a central repo, update and commit back to the master which will then auto update the web server.

Backup. A free offsite backup (to both your pc and web server) of all your web/app projects and all the historical changes you’ve ever made.

Project management. All your bugs fixes and feature requests attached to your projects, Kanban style.

3rd party app integrations. Have other apps help you with your project, that you’ve coded with Wappler.

Documentation. Github helps you document your project. (Where can you find Wappler resources, on github of course).

Database versioning. Backup and Store the historical changes to your DB with a little bit of extra effort.

There’s probably more, but that’s all I can think of now. The downsides are nearly zero, commit in Wappler, changes instantly propogate on the server, with no extra input.

Actually when we also add Remote Repositories to the Git integration in Wappler, you will be able to connect and push/sync your local git repository with any remote.

That can be indeed github, gitlab, bitbucket or any other public or private git service.
You will even be able to start from there and clone (copy) a remote repository to your local one.

This will definitely improve collaboration possibility and deploy as well.

As for git deploy - you don’t necesarry have to go through a remote repository like github, you can just have a remote repository directly on your webserver that is completely in sync with your site. So pushing there will auto copy the files to your live site.

Many web control panels offer this out of the box like:

cPanel

https://documentation.cpanel.net/display/CKB/Guide+to+Git+-+How+to+Set+Up+Deployment
https://documentation.cpanel.net/display/CKB/Guide+to+Git+-+Deployment

Plesk

http://docs.plesk.com/en-US/onyx/reseller-guide/website-management/git-support.75824/

Or do it yourself

2 Likes