Docker Managing Database

So I’m struggling to grasp docker.
I’m assuming it means you can run the website your building from your computer
Does it also give you a database so you don’t have to set one up??

1 Like

Hi @ChadWyatt
Yes, with Docker you don’t have to setup a database yourself. Please check:

https://community.wappler.io/t/review-ultra-fast-web-development-with-docker-in-wappler/13328/103

This is probably a stupid question but how do I add items/ item fields etc to the database I now have set up in docker?

Hi Chad,
I have been using Sequel Pro on the Mac. I just enter the host as 127.0.0.1 and include the username, password, database and port fields as shown in Wappler project setting targets screen.
Best regards,
Brian

nice one, I just installed Mysql Workbench…
I haven’t used it much yet but it feels daunting
I might look at sequel pro

@ChadWyatt, I felt the same when I started using mysql workbench. What I would recommend is to switch to the modal mode, which is a more graphical front because it uses diagrams. is
Here is a video on how to use it, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K6w0bZjl_Lw

A couple notes I would mention.

First, in the video, he does not use Wappler, so keep that in mind. If you are using the Docker target, Wappler will automatically create a database when you create your project so you can skip that part of the video. Additionally, he discusses phpmyadmin, which may be available on your remote host, but is not part of the local Docker as of right now, so you can skip that part.

I would caution that at 14:10 when he talks about using forward engineering. You should use that the first time to create the tables in your database, but after the first time, DO NOT use it again because it will erase any data you have in your database when it drops the tables and recreates them.

I learned this the hard way and erased all of my data not once, not twice, but THREE times before I figured out it was the wrong thing to do. I got very very irritated re-entering my info time and time again.

After the initial creation of your database tables using the mysql workbench modal, what you would do is click on Synchronize Modal instead of Forward Engineer to sync any changes to make to your database.

I hope this helps you. :slight_smile:

3 Likes