Cannot comprehend 500 internal server error after Submit

I had posted a few days back to an old thread regarding Form to email, as i thought it was relevant to post there instead of starting a new topic.

Not having received any replies there yet, i crave your indulgence for letting me post the developments since my last post (mentioned above).

In that post, i had included a screenshot of the error 400 that showed up for the file sendmail.php under XHR tab.

Since then…

One of the things i did was to remove the double validation that was happening (on the server-side and on the client)… manifesting itself as Error messages after every required field on the form, strangely appearing after the form was submitted.

Also, i changed my smtp settings to reflect the testing domain’s smtp server, instead of localhost,

I no longer get the 400 Error. However, after 2 days of tunneling, am yet to see any light.

Now in POST, i get an 500 internal server error:

which, for me (still a server-side wannabe), as you can guess, is not really the torch in the tunnel that i was expecting :slight_smile:

I am not able to fully comprehend the trace output under the Response tab… how do i proceed from here on?

Am hoping to get a nudge in the right direction by the peers around in the community to sort out this fracas.

Thanks in advance.

1 Like

Error message suggests there is an issue with the from address. Perhaps posting a screenshot of the send message step may help diagnostics.

Thank you, @Hyperbytes for the reply.

am attaching the Send message step:

Hope this helps.

Are you sure that the value of the email sender address is not empty? Also, not sure about this but worth a try, populate the Reply to field.

Edit: try fixed values for for sender.

There is a value in the email sender address.

Will try populating the Reply to field.

Sorry… i couldn’t follow your edit… (fixed values for sender).

As Ben says, the issue appears around that field.try entering a static address (like me@email.com)
Also some servers require the senders address to be registered on that server as a security/ anti spam precaution

Pardon my confusion here @ben, @Hyperbytes … and please correct me if i am wrong.

But i assumed the From (Name) field takes its value from the globals {{$_POST[‘Full Name’]}} variable,
and the Email field from {{$_POST[‘Email Address’]}} variable.

… which is how i have set it up.

So, how could the Sender (who is a user on the website) have his email registered on the domain server?

First of all it is never a good idea to call your inputs like Email Address having spaces in the names.
Then - it seems the expression used there for the sender mail seems to not return any value: {{$_POST['Email Address']}} so check if it actually sends any value.

Thanks for jumping in @Teodor

am attaching a screenshot of the Request parameter in XHR:

request_screenshot

@ben,
afraid this step does not help. …

@Teodor,
I have posted the Request Parameter screenshot… clearly shows there is no problem, as it correctly returns the values for all fields.

Let me know if there is anything else that i need to do, to help arrive at a solution which has been eluding me for a week now.

Regards,
Gerard

On your screenshot its not really visible what expressions exactly have you selected. Please show the value selected for sender email in the data picker.

Also - have you tested with a static values as others already suggested?

Not able to verify the rule for HTML name attribute except that it must be a single value name. In your case you have two values, namely Full Name and Email Address.

Try naming the inputs Full_Name and Email_Adress respectively and don’t forget to adjust the posted values on the server.

Not clear what you mean… any additional/better screenshot (which will include the ‘exact expressions’) that i could provide?

Afraid, not as yet… because i did not get a response to my reply regarding the confusion

Nobody corrected me at this point… if there was any flaw in my assumption. :thinking:

Does that mean that you are not willing to try re-naming the inputs to Full_Name and Email_Adress?

Certainly not, @ben :smile:

I have only just seen your reply to my message, when i was replying to @Teodor.

Have always learned and implemented most of the helpful stuff you continue to post in the Community.

I agree with you about the convention of not using spaces between words. However, in my case it was not showing up as a problem in the Editor… so i was lulled into thinking all was well on that front, and that was not indeed the source of my misery. :slightly_smiling_face:

Will however do what you say, and let you know.

Cheers!

1 Like

Unfortunately, no, @ben

Did what you said… still blinded by this 500 thingy :worried:

Could you try placing the same values from the recipients to the sender?

Seems prudent enough.

Guess, it also ties in with what @Hyperbytes had suggested…

Further, going by that logic, what do i enter for the Recipient name and email fields?

1 Like

Leave as is. In other words, both recipient and sender will be the same for testing purposes only.

Ok. Will do this deep dive, and hope to surface soon. :wink: