Button to open third-party DB manager

Hello,

I’m requesting a button near the database manager that allows you to open a third-party database manager. It would work by asking the operative system to open a URL, such as:

postgres://user:secret@localhost:5432/mydatabasename

It’s up to the third-party database manager to open the URL

This is useful when you have several projects and it’s a hassle to manually configure a different DB connection in your favourite DB manager. Some functions are better handled with a third-party DB viewer :slight_smile:

Do you know any third party db managers that support auto opening database connections by custom url protocol like this?

Most you have to define and give credentials in the app.

Maybe I don’t understand but wouldn’t that be a security risk?

Interesting question. Beekeeper Studio seems to do it. I use TablePlus and it didn’t recognize the example I posted - guess I have to beg the developer :slight_smile:

BeeKeeper Studio looks interesting. If I wasn’t already a Navicat user for 20 years I’d seriously consider it. I may still.

I think something like this would be very useful, but perhaps something more generic would be possible, which could do what @Apple is requesting and other tasks too.

I don’t know about other third-party DB manager, but you could open a table in Navicat from within Wappler by running a command such as:

"C:\Program Files\PremiumSoft\Navicat 15 for MySQL\navicat.exe" -opentable "mytable" -t mysql -c "localhost" -d "mydatabase"
(This is for MySQL; presumably you could do the same for PostgreSQL etc.)

It could be convenient, but I don’t bother because it’s quicker to open Navicat and navigate to the right table. However, if there were buttons to which we could assign links/commands, as suggested by @Apple, it would be very useful and save time.

Another approach might be to resurrect the ancient and popular (but neglected) request for a snippets feature. If snippets could include the option to run them as a command, this might serve the purpose. It could be used to save commands to compare files for example and many other tasks.

Ideally, however the current request were to be implemented, it would make it a lot more powerful if the parameters could be dynamic in some way (eg in relation to table or filenames).