Building a CMS with Wappler

I’m looking to build a website where all the content will be managed by the client. In the old days I used tinymce for the page body but I’m wondering if this is still the best way of if there are any hidden gems in Wappler which would be better.

Thoughts anyone?

Medium Editor is Wappler’s equivalent to tinymce.

1 Like

Aah, I thought there was probably something already there. Is there a quick how-to on that?

Yes there is, just do a search at the top of the page for Medium Editor.

Or simply add a textarea field to your page and press the Make Medium Editor button and have a play, that’s what I did.

1 Like

Have you checked a headless CMS like strapi.io?

You could potentially build frontend with Wappler and use strapi for CMS.

4 Likes

Ooh, that’s an interesting option. I’ve not come across strapi.io before but will definitely have a good look at it.

2 Likes

@JonL - I’m assuming you’re a strapi.io user? Can you just give me one steer (I’ve read through their website but can’t find the answer to this)…

Does strapi create the database tables or can it be used with an existing database? I am very interested in using this to create the admin area sitting in a folder (eg. /admin) for websites where the front-end is built with Wappler. The last site I built I did the admin area, too, but strapi looks like it will make it even quicker.

Directus is another option which I’ve connected easily to Wappler.

2 Likes

It will handle the database side for you. Although just the CMS part.

Thanks @max_gb. On first glance this looks very similar to strapi. Is the workflow building the site with Wappler and then using Directus to maintain the data via APIs with the Wapper site or does it connect directly to the database?

Here’s an example of how you could set it up. You could use the Directus API as a security level rather than your Wappler project reading and writing directly from your database. This may be a better use case for multi-tenant apps or where you would like a public facing API.

directus

2 Likes

Thanks @max_gb, that’s really helpful and makes perfect sense. I need to start playing with Directus and Strapi to see which one to go with.

1 Like

Just checked out Strapi - what a great CMS product! Absolutely love it.
This a great addition to Wappler indeed, for adding a super easy CMS as API!
Doing that with Docker is even easier! https://github.com/strapi/strapi-docker
And with our API Connector you can build indeed a great front end in Wappler to it!

So I will be checking out a good Wappler integration :slight_smile:

13 Likes

@max_gb what do you feel is the better option? Guessing option 1 if that is the case why would that be your prefer connection option?

@George - have you checked out directus.io? Would be very keen to hear your thoughts on both, especially which you think is better when working with Wappler and why.

1 Like

If @George is considering a Strapi integration in the future I’d stick with Strapi. Works in the same way as Directus does. I know a few others here have used Strapi before too.

2 Likes

I’m throwing myself into Strapi, let’s see how it goes :slight_smile:

1 Like

Both Strapi and Directus headless CMS solutions are great solutions.
Each have its own strengths and weaknesses.

Strapi is more generic and not database dependent, also it is build in NodeJS giving it great powers. It is great for non technical new users wanting to build CMS API and a front-end/mobile app in Wappler.
Strapi is completely database independent and support most common databases. All data and structure is abstracted as high level content types and field types that are very common, easy to understand and can generate forms and grid easily from them.

Directus is build in PHP and supports only MySQL - it is more a great API and Admin generator on top of that. It is a great fit for existing database users - as it is database first - and more database oriented than Strapi. People have to known more about databases and relational knowledge to use it. But all is greatly integrated in their admin app - so you can easily mutate existing structures and data.

So both Strapi and Directus are actually a perfect fit for Wappler and we will see if we can offer more out of the box integration with them soon.

6 Likes

That would close the CMS gap with webflow. If I had to vote I would vote for Strapi.

1 Like

I hope it’s alright if I ask some rather basic questions about this topic.

Would using these headless CMS systems replace whatever CMS you might develop yourself, using Wappler, or would the idea be to integrate them into your CMS, to provide functionality which would be time-consuming to develop yourself?

In either case, I understand the front-end would still be developed in Wappler, so what exactly is provided by an external, headless, CMS?

I’ve had a quick look at the websites of the two CMS systems mentioned, but I’m not clear about the cases where using these would be an advantage. It seems - from the perspective of someone who clearly doesn’t understand the basics (me) - that integrating a third party database etc. into something you’re developing extra complexity. Eg is it likely to be useful generally or just for a more complicated CMS?

I would be grateful if someone could give me some basic explanation about all this - just to point me in the right direction as it were.

1 Like