Building a catalog app

That got it!

1 Like

TeodorTeam

5h

I think you are just overcomplicating a simple task.
All you need is static HTML pages, and dynamic data coming from a JSON file.

Hi Teodor,
I saw this reply in another topic. I’m wondering if this would work in my catalog of multiple layers of sub-categories and a template that is used throughout for each item in the sub-categories? If so, could the JSON file method handle 1,000 items effectively.

You’d better do this using a database and the database tools integrated in Wappler :slight_smile:
The topic you mention is quite too specific and the user there requires to use a JSON file.
In your case, for dynamic catalog better stick to the standard procedure using a database.

HI Teodor,

Thanks. I thought that might be the case. So that gives me some additional questions. I currently use Magento 2 for this catalog, which is about half complete. But I’m looking for a solution that will be entirely “local” and replicatable to multiple portable disks. Is a Wappler a good way for me to go? Will I be able to get assistance in building the database from you folks?

My data center just gives me a Magento platform and MySQL database so that I only have to know how to install a theme and populate the database in a shared server. Now, I need to have the product local and transportable,

Please advise what path I should take with Wappler and whether you can assist. I am neither a coder nor DBA. But I always find a solution.

And, do I need to get a pro license to try this out?

John

In order to use a database you need a server, where it runs. Databases don’t just run on a portable usb drives :slight_smile:
What exactly are you trying to achieve? What do you need to be “local and transportable” - the pages, or the whole data coming with them?

Hi Teodor,

I am wanting to create many websites (each personalized), each of which include a catalog (with categories and subcategories) of personal events (each of which are illustrated in a single page using the same template).

And, I want them each to be portable and able to be placed (shown) in a larger website with other sites of the same type.

Image a High School yearbook built of each person’s high school events. Then image that groups of the graduating class want to put their websites together for a team’s website.

Hope this helps.

John

Sorry, but i am a bit lost in your explanation.
How do you put site in another site?

I really can’t get your idea.

What I want to do is put the individual web sites onto a disk with a navigation umbrella above them that will allow the user to pick the one he wants to visit.

John

So you want to have separate html files, linked by a navigation (navbar), is that right? Then where is the data supposed to come? From a remote server or should each html file use its own (local) data source?

Yes, you have got it.
Are you familiar with Bitnami? I propose to install their “stack” of server applications on a portable drive to replicate a server. This is why I thought that using a JSON file for data to each of the personalized site might be a good idea.

Well if that’s the case (it was not clear from your fist post you don’t want to build a regular hosted site) then using local JSON files as a data source for each html page is just what you need.
Note, that you should put the data in your JSON files of course.

Right. I all ready have a data center host for my Magento 2 version (multistore). But now I want to build many smaller sites and produce them for individuals to use in combination with others like them.

I’m thinking that Wappler might fill that bill. I would use a JSON file with each site instead of a big database.

1 Like

Well if that’s the case (it was not clear from your fist post you don’t want to build a regular hosted site) then using local JSON files as a data source for each html page is just what you need.
Note, that you should put the data in your JSON files of course.

Right. I all ready have a data center host for my Magento 2 version (multistore). But now I want to build many smaller sites and produce them for individuals to use in combination with others like them.

I’m thinking that Wappler might fill that bill. I would use a JSON file with each site instead of a big database.

So, If I want to use JSON, I guess I need to sign on for a PRO license??

The JSON data source extension requires a basic license. This means with it you will be able to use the JSON as a data source, and display its data on the page.

Good enough. Will Wappler build the JSON file for me as I entre the data? And how many pages do you think it will accommodate?

I’m thinking I need a Home page, two category pages and one “product” template to begin. Is this how you see a prototype?

Oh, One more thing. Can I use a teammate on the projects with the PRO license?

Wappler won’t create a JSON file for you - it just uses it as a data source, when you add it. You need to create it yourself.
Please check the following link to understand what JSON is and how it stores your data:
https://www.w3schools.com/whatis/whatis_json.asp

Thanks

The Wappler licenses are per user, i.e. you need separate licenses for different users.

5 posts were split to a new topic: Team licenses