Bubblers, please start here

Thanks @JonL. I know for a fact the whole community isn’t arrogant, just a tiny vocal minority. Thanks for offering your help and I look forward to lots of shared learning experiences with Wappler over the coming months!

I know three facts:

1. I have yet to find one fellow wappler that can be considered arrogant by your standards that doesn’t contribute 20 times worth his arrogance to the community. I will take his/her knowledge any time of the day over getting my feelings bruised.

2. Third party arrogance is not going to limit in any way what you can do with Wappler and the help of the community including those you consider arrogant.

3. It’s hot as balls today.

3 Likes
  1. You haven’t met enough people then I guess. Don’t let it worry you.

2. Sure it will. It’s the human element. Community is so important when learning a new tool. I know this from my experience and many fellow nocoders.

3. Only 20 degrees here in Dordogne.

1 Like

I’ll try to spend more time here in the community now that there is an influx of signups and I will try to be on the watch! Thanks for the advice!

In another order of things. What are you guys planning to build?

1 Like

Everything :no_mouth:‍:fog:

Personally I’m a full time freelance developer working on 5 client projects who may soon be looking to redevelop their apps in a tool that lets them protect their creation by keeping the code safe and platform independent.

The apps are: a web bookmark organising app, a shipping container internal tracking and quoting tool, a mobile video conferencing app, a finance and reservation management tool for hairdressing salons, and a learning management system for English teachers.

1 Like

Cool. It seems you are going to be quite busy. Do you need to rebuild all that in 18 months?

Nope, in fact I doubt more than one of them will really pay to finance a new build. They’re either internal tools so can deal with the price hike, or they’re MVP attempts that aren’t gaining enough traction to warrant moving away.

My personal side project is building a sort of companion system for English teachers in training organisations who use MS Teams as their base of operations but who need extra tools (lesson templates, presence sheets, etc.) strapped on to Teams to make them more efficient. That project might be a good Wappler contender because I’m in charge of the tech stack and I want solutions that protect the future of the app and don’t tie me down to one platform.

It’ll be heavily reliant on server side tasks and API processing, pulling from and writing messages to MS Teams, sending copies of that data to external client systems, etc. But they’ll need a nice dashboard to configure and manage this Teams addon. Could be a good Wappler project.

Yep. And it’s definitely doable in Wappler. It’s doable anywhere actually. But the thing that you mention about owning the source is what makes the difference I guess.

1 Like

Btw, what was that about learning terminal not being related to using Wappler?

Are you confusing python with bash? You honestly don’t need any python for managing or hosting your Wappler apps. Knowing some bash is helpful of course since it allows you to manage linux hosts.

Yes that’s the one! That’s what I meant about running Linux servers, knowing bash commands. I’ll modify my original post with that correction. Thanks

1 Like

That was tricky to debug, thank goodness for ChatGPT! Two problems with Wappler auto-installing ios in my Framework7 test project:

1. Needed to manually install the ffi gem because I’m on an M1 Mac using the following command:
arch -arm64e gem install ffi
  1. Needed to authorise running ffi in the privacy settings on my Mac, because it’s an unidentified developer. This happens in the middle of Wappler auto-updating the project to include ios.

Other things to consider:

• you need to delete the ios folder from your project folder if the installation fails every time before trying again.
  • make sure xcode is installed and up to date
  • make sure the xcode folder is set as the active developer directory using the following command:
sudo xcode-select -s /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer

A further note for MacOS with Apple chip users (thanks again ChatGPT): you need to install Java Development Kit v17 to be able to let Wappler correctly install the Android module to Framework7 projects. You can find a dmg file here for easy installation:

I also had to install “Android SDK Command-Line Tools” following these handy AI-generated instructions:

1. Open Android Studio.
  2. Click on “Configure” in the bottom right corner of the welcome screen (or go to “Preferences” if you have a project open).
  3. In the left pane of the Preferences/Settings window, click on “Appearance & Behavior” > “System Settings” > “Android SDK.”
  4. Navigate to the “SDK Tools” tab.
  5. Locate “Android SDK Command-line Tools (latest)” in the list of SDK tools. Check the box next to it. If it is not present, make sure you have the latest version of Android Studio installed.
  6. Click “Apply” or “OK” to start the installation process. Accept the license agreement if prompted.
  7. Once the installation is complete, click “Finish” or “OK” to close the window.

EDIT: Never mind. Something has gone terribly wrong and I’ve spent an hour trying to debug it. Wappler keeps throwing an error when I try to run in my Android Studio emulator. It says some dependencies aren’t installed in the gradle file. Trying to debug with ChatGPT but going round in circles now. I’ll post again if I find a solution.

EDIT v2: Finally got it. The build.gradle file in the project folder > android > app was missing these four dependencies:

implementation ‘androidx.annotation:annotation-experimental:1.2.0’
implementation ‘androidx.activity:activity:1.5.0-alpha04’
implementation ‘androidx.core:core-ktx:1.7.0’
implementation ‘androidx.appcompat:appcompat-resources:1.4.2’

Then I had to find my .gradle folder and delete it to force Android Studio to redownload the necessary dependencies for the project. On MacOS it was in /Users/my_username/.gradle

2 Likes

I hope these have served as good examples of how learning a little bash (thanks again for the correction) and copying and pasting error output from the terminal / MS-DOS into ChatGPT can save your life!

Oh and btw, Framework7 is really freaking cool. Good job for adding that one Wappler team.

1 Like

Hello @richard-osborne, just out of curiosity, what do you mean by that? (I’m also a bubble user)

Regards.

Hi there. I meant that I’ve been actively trying alternative app builders for the last year or two in the fear that Bubble, as a private US company that owes nothing to anybody, would decide spontaneously to dramatically change their pricing or go out of business or sell out to a big corporation, etc., and so I would need to move to a different app building platform to continue my day job.

Oh, I understand. When I read “just in case Bubble pulls the rug, which they’ve now done.” I thought they were out of business or something like that.

But yeah, that risk is what pushed me away from building new projects on bubble and I’m a happy wappler user ever since.

1 Like

I am still contemplating the thought of rebuilding in wappler. I’ve been building my project in bubble since 2018 so starting from scratch is hard to swallow… Though it’s the only option I really have since bubble wants to increase my monthly running costs from $140 to $1,700+ per month which for me is impossible. So it’s either shut down or start from scratch.

3 Likes

Hi Everyone! Is there a discord channel for Bubblers learning Wappler? I joined Bubble 1 month ago and thinking I should look for alternatives to build MVP2 of my app.

You’ll find most everything you need, here in the forum. You’re in the right place!

1 Like