Bubble popped - wappler equivalent of backend workflow

Omg @Hinky you are a pure Gold for me. Thank you so much !! I can’t wait to start developing :slight_smile: i will do the same for people here when i will get a better wappler :stuck_out_tongue:

Here is a quick video of one of my pages currently using kinda like autobinding on bubble. So for sure possible. (ignore all issues, very very much a page im working on, i only started this one)
Theres few hundred ways to do it, but this just whenever dropdown changes to value that its not currently, it will send an update and then reload the list (the database im talking to is in cloud, not my local computer so speed should give good idea of query speed you can expect (depending on query) )(also showed some filtering speed and options)

Edit: @x1Guru, if you want to see how its actually developed, let me know and ill show you

5 Likes

I’d advise looking into Node JS in your case for the backend of your project seen as you want Websockets for realtime data, just so you don’t start a PHP project and realise Node JS is needed etc:

1 Like

Oh i completely forgot about that part. Hhaha yeah stick to node.js for that.

I would choose DigitalOcean or Cloudways. Wappler also has a Resource Manager built in so you can have it setup the servers in DigitalOcean for you.

1 Like

Not really answering any question specifically but this was my experience. When I moved over from Bubble I must admit I was quite overwhelmed and it was quite a learning curve. It’s very easy to spend hours looking at things that will not matter at the beginning. The rabbit hole I went down was hosting options. At the start this doesn’t matter and will just add to the learning. Then you get stuck between which database should I use and which language to pick.

My advice would be just pick one and stick with it. For a new project (if you don’t know how to code like me) I think your best option is setting up docker (this makes everything simpler to start with as you do not need to setup your database etc… separately). I would use node.js as has all the features on some of the other options you miss a few things such as websockets. In terms of the database you use this will not matter to much at this point.

I tried to build my application straight away but it was a little bit to much for me. I give up. I tried again a few months later. This time I made a very simple address book application. I then just added bits onto this like adding contacts adding a login etc… This was really simple but helped me learn the core concepts of Wappler as a No Coder. Once you understand these fundamentals it’s then quite easy to build on top of this. I found it was a few days of struggling followed by a eureka moment. At this point I started my app. If I couldn’t do something I just moved onto the next thing and as my knowledge built I went back to these bits.

I am still no means a expert but I can now make things a lot quicker than I ever could of in Bubble.

The main takeaway from what I’m trying to say is don’t get to bogged down and start simple (I know that’s a bit boring but it really did help me). Then ask questions when you get stuck.

3 Likes

Sorry if I completely scrolled past it… but where can I find the dental app? Also on the hunt for v complex Wappler apps, tail between legs after last being on this forum 4 years ago (before I launched a venture funded startup on Bubble :see_no_evil:)

1 Like

Reading those messages from ex-bubblers makes me want to jump right here in bubble. Hopefully, we’ll have those supports if we ever come across some trouble building our apps.

Can we know, what a docker is? As I read the documentation, it’s like an all in one package that contains all the necessary files for the web app then host it somewhere to be live. Meaning, is the docker free?

You can see more about Docker here:

In the conclusion are even more resources too :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yes, it’s free. I wouldn’t worry too much about the technology. Just think of it as a really easy way to migrate everything required for your app in one package (i.e container) from initial local development to the system you will let all your users access it. Wappler can even help you move it through its Resource Manager.

Dear God… the speed of all that is… :slight_smile: 600k search with ms :open_mouth: that feels like a different world :smiley:

1 Like

Hi @GlobaticoLabs

that was just a meme… I don’t feel that @Notum was making a fun of myself - why would he?

Now when I look at Wappler wfs management and can compare to bubble ones I totally understand that xD

1 Like

Oh i should clarify, that was extremely small table. i havent got to large table ui yet.
but getting 300 rows from db from 600k table, see speed below (no filtering or antyhign yet so super basic)

the speed of all that is… :slight_smile: 600k search with ms

I remember that moment a week into my Wappler career as well. I never looked back.

hahahahhaha maaaaaan 600k table is crazy table for bubble xD

80 ms :joy::joy::joy:

To find results in a 1000 entries list I’d wait seconds, first page load in Bubble 6-8 seconds. Repeating group scrolling down is so slow, you couldn’t make a social app displaying posts for example because it took so long to load items

A “scheduled backend workflow” is 2 parts in Wappler: an API call + it being scheduled. The first part is ubiquitous in Wappler, and is called “Server Connect”. Assuming a NODE backend, every action taken will end up being an API call from the client front-end to your server backend: every data read, write, etc.

To make this scheduled, one has to do a bit more work and create an internal scheduler. Essentially two things: a scheduling agent and a scheduling table. To schedule an API call, you’d do what Bubble secretely does behind the scenes: insert a row into a scheduling table with an API name, the desired run date, and all input variables needed for that run. Then a 2nd job that simply runs on a loop every second reading that table (such a looping job is built in to Wappler known as a “Schedule”). If it finds a row that is now due to run, it executes a hard-wired API based on a known API name being found in the table.

Security is managed via user authentication in inserting a row into your scheduling table.

(P.S. any “schedulable” api in Wappler is actually best built as a “library” function, as it will almost always be called from within the Schedule process.)

1 Like

And what is Wappler based on? Php or Node or whatever?

Wappler allows you to choose what backend you want from a few options there is Node Js, PHP, ASP etc so this depends what you choose when you create your projects :slight_smile: