Bubble popped - wappler equivalent of backend workflow

As many of you no doubt are aware, Bubble is done and it’s now time for many of us to grow up and ditch the training wheels. No doubt many of us will be looking at Wappler to avoid getting burnt like that ever again.

There’s a couple of threads detailing the equivalent naming in Wappler, which is great.

The one thing I can’t find information about, and it might be because it’s just so ignorant no one has asked. But here goes.

Bubble is using something they call “backend workflows” It’s simply a server side action, that can be scheduled and execute on its own.

Here’s an example.

A user takes an action, an API call is made and some data is saved to the database and associated with said user. A “backend workflow” is scheduled in 90 days to refetch that data from the API, save it to the database and send an email to the user.

How does that work in the real world outside of bubble? Is that something that happens on wappler? or is it something that happens externally wherever the data is stored?

Hi @twinklemagoo. Welcome to the Wappler community :slight_smile:

I’ve never used Bubble so I’m possibly not the best person to respond. However, I’ve read plenty of posts from Bubble and ex-Bubble users so I almost feel like I’ve used it!

What you’ve asked sounds to me like the Wappler equivalent is a CRON task. You create the backend API script (Wappler calls this Server Connect API) and then set up a CRON on your hosting server to run that script every x minutes/hours/days/months/etc. You would put a condition in that script to do the 90-day bit but probably set it to run once a day. Wappler gives you the path to the script so it’s easy to set up.

I believe NodeJS has scheduled tasks built into Wappler so you wouldn’t use a CRON but do it all within Wappler instead. But I’m not 100% certain of that.

EDIT: I was right, read about it here: Scheduling Actions with NodeJS

I hope that helps. You’ll soon be glad you made the move.

1 Like

Oh that’s amazing! thank you @sitestreet

I’m sure I will, and I regret I did not do it a couple years back when a bunch of people left for Wappler.

Now I just need to figure out what hosting is haha. Is that where my data lives, or where my html files lives? or is it the same thing… all head spinning stuff coming from a “all-in-one” solution.

There will likely be a longer learning curve than you’ve had with Bubble but it will be massively worth it.

The hosting is where everything is. Usually the HTML/CSS/JS files are hosted along with the Database in one account but it doesn’t have to. So you will need to find a suitable host but there are loads of people here who can advise you on that depending on where you are in the world.

1 Like

Gotcha! thanks.

I’m in North America, but with users across the world. What is the preferred hosting service AWS?
I have some experience with firestore, but wasn’t even aware that you could/would host the HTML/CSS/JS files there as well.

Reading up on AWS after having read this post from the man himself.
https://medium.com/wappler-io/cloud-hosting-with-wappler-ffef694a4e0

See also:

2 Likes

In Wappler backend and frontend are separated. It’s not entangled as in Bubble. Wappler provides functionality for both.

There is nothing that you can do with Bubble that can’t be done better, faster(performance wise), and with more flexibility in Wappler.

Except for one thing: bubble has an easier learning curve. Although in Wappler you will learn skills that you can migrate elsewhere and with Bubble you learn absolutely nothing.

3 Likes

Thank you @George

I found that thread earlier, and found it fantastic! Also fantastic to have a response from the founder on my very first day haha. :blue_heart:

Oh hi @JonL great to see you here.

For sure, I’m pushing the launch with 6-12 months to focus on learning Wappler instead. Been with bubble for the past +5 years and regret I didn’t leave for Wappler when I first intended a few years ago.

1 Like

You will only be able to see me here as @Nigel_Godfrey and the gang banned me in Bubble’s forum :joy:

1 Like

Yeah they froze my account as well, not for being rude or anything, but for posting a link to the main pricing thread and a suggestion to consider the new pricing model’s effect on API driven apps in two separate threads that were asking about API usage.

Seemed quite reasonable to me, as other had missed the main thread and were unaware.
The locking of my account seemed a bit of an overreaction to me.

This is not hyperbole. You can start with Wappler knowing without doubt, you can build anything, it can always be done, it will never cost you extra, and you will be constantly learning new things.

3 Likes

I like Digital Ocean. It will have everything you need, without all the stuff you don’t need. Much simpler that AWS.

2 Likes

Thank you @mebeingken will take a look at that.

Does Digital Ocean do authentication like firebase? Or perhaps that’s being handled directly by Wappler?

Handled by Wappler.

Someone wrote a tutorial in the forum to delegate it to auth0 if you want to do that although I personally don’t see the need.

1 Like

No I’d much rather not. So great to hear that Wappler can handle that.

Just to add in this thread are some links to get some starting credits for Digital Ocean or Hetzner hosting:

3 Likes

Hello @JonL, I’m suprised they banned you - I’ve always thought you’re one of important power users :wink: For me it’s the same, past 6 years been bubbling ; I tried wapper before but previous editor was kinda hard - now im learning from 5.0 Quick start and really like it ! that’s a nice progress. So how many projects you already deployed with Wapp ?

2 Likes

I left bubble in 2020. I wouldn’t consider myself a power user 3 years after :slight_smile:

It’s surprising if my posts are still relevant over there.

Either way I am banned by the shills :joy:

5 in total. 2 on-going. Those two being the main projects I migrated from Bubble.

1 Like