Beta 2: Pages Mode

What is the purpose of having this view. I find this view pretty much useless. Perhaps if it showed thumbnails of the page or something. File view is much more productive to find files.

Also, everytime I open Wappler it defaults to the Pages view and I have to switch it. Please don’t force me to use that Pages view.

1 Like

or will there be pages ready for use here ? Can you explain the idea here a little bit, what do you think for the future?

No there won’t be pages/templates there.
This view shows you the most important files you are working on in a project - your pages.
So you don’t have to look for them mixed with other files in the file view.

1 Like

And when there is many files it makes scrolling much longer and harder to find.

You can change the views, filter by name and folder :slight_smile:

I know I can change the view. I just shouldn’t ‘have to’ everytime I want to use the file panel. There needs to be a preference set to choose which view is default. Having a panel I will never ever use as a default is counter productive.

This is certainly the impression. Eg if I open the Wappler-generated Bootstrap Preview, ‘Landing (a)’ is selected amongst a long list of templates (which are not related to the project). I have no idea what this indicates. Perhaps it’s not meant to be like this and it’s just due to this being a beta.

Maybe we can improve this indeed @George

You can customize your pages icons - so it’s easier to recognize them visually. For example you can choose an icon with a form for your contact page etc.

What are these icons for?

Screen Shot 2020-05-25 at 12.02.58 PM

The pencil seems to go to some unrelated UI? The Delete is just plain dangerous having it there.

Brad, the pencil button opens the page details so you can customize its icon and description…
The delete asks you to confirm the action.

1 Like

I see. Similar to the way you can choose to view files in a list or icons etc. in File Explorer/Finder. It’s a feature I almost never use (occasionally for images).

As it is, it’s difficult to see this feature being useful, but perhaps it could be with some with some tweaking. The ‘list’ view - at least what appears if you click the list icon - is not a list view - it just shows smaller icons:

If it were a list, and it were possible to add some information (file date and size), perhaps with sortable column - then it woud be useful. The search feature is the only useful feature as far as I can see, but with no list or tree view and no right-click options, it’s generally a poor substitute for a file manager. If you could combine the functions of the two - basically, a more useful file manager - that would be progress.

Perhaps I’ve missed the point, but as it is, I just wish the search (and sort options - but I don’t think they’re implemented yet) could be added to File Manager, and the Page View could just be ignored.

So the ability to change icon or save comments isn’t implemented yet? It needs to be more clear that it is an icon you are selecting and not a page layout (as I believe both Tom and I had thought).

Also, pages view seems to be missing an upload button as well as a target selector? Or is pages view only local files?

At least on Windows, they are implemented. If they’re not on Mac, you’re not missing much. Eg I can change icons from:

to:

… but why would I want to? In most cases, they’re unlikely to come close to representing anything meaningful or recognisable. As you say, they are missing features - in fact most features: eg there’s no right-click menu. Perhaps this will be added.

Adding file descriptions could be useful - particularly if it were included in the search facility (but it’s not).

I think the Wappler team have some really great ideas - but I’m struggling to see how this is one of them. There’s a lot of detail and functionality. Eg you can search through about 250 icons, hoping to find one that has any relevance to a page. You can even sort them alphabetically or by more recently accessed (but why would anyone ever want to do this?). I’m rather puzzled.

Hmmm, okay after some deep diving into it I think I see what you are trying to achieve with this feature. It seems to me now that I see it hides all the Wappler generated files that this feature may be more for beginners. Hence, the pages view by default. Would be nice to be able to set File view in the settings as default if chosen. Or better yet, have Wappler remember the last view.

I can’t ever see me spending the time to go through all those icons. I would much rather see the file type icon like in the file manager than a meaningless thumbnail. But that of course wouldn’t work on all the sizes of thumbnail views.

With exception of the thumbnails I can see this being a good feature for new Wappler users. Pretty sure it’s a bit too basic for large projects or the seasoned Wappler user. So, if there is a way to set File View as default, I’m okay with this new feature. Good feature, just not for ‘me’.

I do appluade you guys for always coming up with something new though.

1 Like

I hadn’t noticed that. Perhaps that’s the point of it.

1 Like

I haven’t managed to install and view beta 3.0.0 yet, and I can hardly imagine what you are talking about. But I have a bad feeling about this. If the classic file Manager disappears from Wappler (which just speeds up my work with the project incredibly), it will be an unbearable pain and a terrible loss.

The File View is still there. You just can’t set it as a default view. It defaults to the Page View. I hope they will change that.

The point is indeed that File Manager is overcrowded with tons of generated files.

And you are mostly working on pages.

So we wanted to create a clean view with all the pages you are working on.

You are able to assign them a thumbnail icon for better visual recognition, add description and later on maybe tags about status like done, todo, in progress. And sort and filter on all those things.

So much more intuitive and easy to use. So it will make you eventually more productive.

Just have to get use to it :slight_smile: as with everything new - but once you get it, you will love it :slight_smile:

1 Like

I beg to differ. It clunkier to use mostly because of the thumbnails. Get rid of those and give it more the same look as the file view and it might be useful. The thumbnail idea is a bust.

1 Like

I’m pretty used to File Manager and Finder - after a few decades of using them. If all the functionality of File Manager is added to Pages Mode - plus the abitility to search files - then perhaps I’ll ‘love it’. But I won’t love it unless it has a keyboard shortcut :slightly_frowning_face:

1 Like