Authentication + The Basics

So I see this post on here: Userauth - an open source user authentication and authorization project for Wappler

I guess this means the signing up a user or logging them in is not a single workflow in Wappler right?

Basically what we used to call plugins, is what this guy built, right? But Wappler Plugins live in GitHub Repos?

And then I see this guy showcasing his website: Pukka Travels Website

When I open it I can see the footer and a loading element, is that how this guy purposely built his website or every Wappler build will come out this way?

Is it not fast enough to show the header of the website right away? Why did he build a loading element in for users to see when they visit the page?

In answer to the 3 questions in your first post… yes (though Wappler does provide a lot of core capability for it), yes and not really.

I’m not sure this GitHub repo approach has been done before. I wanted to share the code and make the modules easily installable. So I did it this way as it works for me, and hopefully it work for others too.

1 Like

I would say the site is bugged at the moment because there is an overlay blocking user interaction @psweb

The loading element is a choice.

You have the building blocks because each app needs different approaches to auth.

For the basics check this quickstart - it will show you the login / register process, db connections etc.

2 Likes

Thanks @JonL, I will ask @sid about it, not sure why.

We have built it this way. What you are seeing is layout page, behind the loaded. Everything else is in content pages, and is pretty much dynamic… Which takes a little time.
We have improved this over time, and are content with the current performance. There is definitely scope for improvement, as is with all projects usually.

Not in this case. The header html comes from content page which is dependent on a server connect to get the data to be shown.
Can be easily tackled with a server side data binding. Just doesn’t fit our use case here.

Don’t understand the question completely. Its there to block the user from interacting until all data is loaded. The is the primary purpose of any page loader.
It shows up again while navigating to other pages.

1 Like

Not a bug, just how its built. There are way too many bindings and variations to move to server side bindings at this point.

Maybe will ping the community and you for better architecture/design tips if a redesign happens in future. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Please no redesign yet, lol, still have about 6 months of work to complete on my side, and I know you also have a load, don’t even want to think about that just yet, haha

3 Likes

I think we may not be speaking about the same thing.

Check the website on safari iOS if you can. I am experiencing something weird with the overlay. It doesn’t hide and I can’t interact with the site.

Edit: you can forget this. Ghostery extension was meddling with the cookie consent modal and the overlay @sid @psweb

2 Likes

The main question is this: how much slower am I going to be building in Wappler?

In Bubble I’ve built a complete SaaS platform in 4 months for web no mobile yet, in that time I’ve completed frontend and backend for 10 complex pages, subscriptions, and many other complex features. I’d obviously like to be faster as technology evolves but my concern is that even after being an expert Wappler my current 4 months may become 8 months because of Wappler’s complexity. Of course the good thing is that you are getting real code at the end.

Could there be things added from the Wappler team that can improve our productivity?

Like marketplace, plugins and perhaps AI focusing on accelerating our work?

@Teodor can you chime in on this?
What’s current main focus? Is there a public roadmap? Are you prioritizing tools that can accelerate our development timeframes?

Here is the roadmap we’ve been following. It’s almost finished, and I hope @George will provide an updated one soon:

Bubble might seem faster, but it can limit your long-term success and require more work after the initial 4 months. It’s useful for quick prototyping but results in poorly-performing sites that don’t adhere to web standards. This might be fine for simple sites, but complex apps will face performance issues and high costs.

In contrast, Wappler uses web standards and popular frameworks, setting you up for long-term success and quicker development once you are familiar with them. You will be able to hire from the normal group of web developers versus looking for specialized Bubble developers that may be more difficult to find. Your app will also be easily improved as it grows because you will have full control and you aren’t locked into a platform that may take years to add features or raise prices at many multiples the cost of self-hosting your site.

1 Like

Hard to answer. I’m still figuring it out myself. I believe I’m currently to be same speed if not quicker, however accomplishing alot more in same time frame. More being full advance filtering, mobile responsiveness, pagination, table sorting.

I terms of wappler speeding up development. Wappler has generators for many of complex UI parts. Example tables, in generator you reference the data that you’d like in the table, and wappler will generator basically whole table full responsive.
Depends on your needs can tweak from there.

Plugins and such. Recently relleased documents to make plugins/components so expect alot more soon. But a big big benefit, is everything I’ve come across I haven’t needed any extention compared to bubble.ko which I probs have like 20 plugins I rely on for full functionality. I’m very much trying to rely less and less on third parties

1 Like

During the learning curve - a lot. Like a lot.

I have practically 0 experience with Bubble myself. Unless I know the exact complexity and other requirements, I can’t comment on a comparative timeline when building the same on Wappler.
But it would most definitely be lesser time - if you build this after the learning curve.

And you would know how most it works as well. That is the main learning curve.

2 Likes

I was on Bubble for 2 years and now Wappler for 3 years.

I’d say the day to day development pace is the same once you are over the learning curve…

… but you don’t keep hitting these roadblocks of performance, functionality and pricing which can make your time-to-a-successful-business a gazillion times slower in Bubble! :roll_eyes:

3 Likes