Anyone has comparision of Wappler vs ScriptCase

Hello All,

I just read that ScriptCase is more faster and powerful PHP code generator tool.

From what little I manage to test, I feel in ScriptCase it takes less steps to build compared to Wappler.

If anyone on this forums has used it please share comparative studies between Wappler and ScriptCase.

TIA

It’s the same as comparing Wappler to Bubble or apples to oranges.

A more like-for-like comparison would be Bubble vs ScriptCase and then ask why so many Bubblers have turned to Wappler.

1 Like

Hi,
have been working with Scriptcase for about 2 years around 2014-16.
Scriptcase has some really cool features but… when the time of customization arrives… you better be very very patient.

The story goes like this, not only for Scriptcase but for RAD (Rapid Application Development) is general. Wappler has a learning curve and requires your part to know about databases and coding (in order to take full advantage of it). You can also develop with no coding knowledge but the point is to get you into more coding so you actually do whatever you like.

Wappler is making you a developer. Even if you don’t know how to code you will find yourself wanting to learn so you can add more and more functionalities.

Solutions like Scriptcase have some very strong advantages of creating, really fast, solutions that are useful that would normaly require a lot of coding. But this advantage turns into a disadvantage when wanting to customize. For example, creating a custom layout is so difficult. Adding more functionalities than the ones given is also difficult.

Believe it or not, Wappler (as far as I know) is the only RAD & Low code ‘solution’ that permits any level of programmer to interact with each other.

So, to close this I would suggest that you go with Wappler, and even if you think that other platforms are faster in development and equally reliable, well… check what happens when a custom (more advanced customization is needed). All other solutions will more or less ‘freak out’, but you will be able to make any customization needed much easier, cause you actually control the project and not vice versa.

4 Likes

To add to this if you have plans for your app to grow you should start forgetting about implementing backends in PHP. Even PHP with Wappler.

There is absolutely no reason at all to start in 2021 a PHP project unless you know for sure it is not going to grow(i.e. personal site).

1 Like

Haven’t heard of ScriptCase before. Just watched their intro video, and it looks like a business/enterprise focused tool… in the market since 2000s.
ScriptCase seems like a much more advanced and matured product complete with support & documentation and tool set for team project development.
From the marketing stuff, it looks like a better tool than Wappler.
And there is no vendor lock-in, which in my opinion is the biggest issue with other low code platforms like Bubble.

The only advantage I see with Wappler is that its not PHP specific. It can be used to build NodeJS or ASP .NET applications too.

Reading @t11’s comments, I see that it is indeed a better product - but not without its limitations when it comes to customization.
Another interesting point he has raised is about the user becoming a better developer when using Wappler. That, if true, is a really good advantage over ScriptCase.
Although, from my experience as a developer, that should not be the case. Each tool has its learning curve and set of quirks, and willing to get through all of it would make your a better developer and a master of that tool.

Why so mad at PHP? :thinking:

1 Like

I am not mad at them :slight_smile: We owe php and Wordpress so much!

But it it just doesn’t cut it anymore. PHP is not going anywhere anytime soon but starting a PHP project that you intend to grow might not be the best idea. It just doesn’t scale well.

If people are comfortable coding in PHP I fully understand that having to change to a new one is cumbersome. But the great thing about new tech stacks is that Wappler abstracts us from all that and we can take advantage of it without having to invest a huge amount of time in learning at the beginning. You just learn along the way when you need things.

2 Likes

That is a common quote I have read. And I have also read counters for it.
Do you have any interesting article on this? Or something you might have written?

Also, the abstraction of Wappler is great. But if one does not know about their server stuff, wouldn’t any type will fail to scale… be it Node or ASP or PHP? Learning along the way should be true for scaling PHP too I think.
Not to deviate from the topic here, and I don’t have too much experience with large scalable apps (PHP or otherwise), but knowing a bit about it from someone with experience would be great.

1 Like

Indeed you can find articles on both sides. Language programming is like a religion. You have adepts, not users :slight_smile:

I prefer to watch what people do and not say. Every big app that started as PHP has eventually moved to other backends due to scaling issues.

Even Facebook had to build a new compiler for their PHP backend so effectively they are not using PHP anymore although their coding syntax is php.

Those that haven’t yet is because the cost of doing it or because they don’t intent to grow anymore.

Nowadays no big company would dare to start a project in PHP. There is a reason behind that.

But as I said I do believe that PHP has it’s own niche. It’s just that there is no real reason to start a new project in PHP having newer tech available besides familiarity.

Edit: That being said, PHP8 might spice things up :slight_smile:

3 Likes

As a matter of interest, what are the other programming languages that you refer to?

Node, Go, Rust, Scala…

Interesting. Just had a look at job opportunities from one source down under.

php 310
rust 24
golang 119
scala 258
node 357
java 1658

Looks like java is still clear winner.

Legacy systems still need to be maintained of course. That doesn’t mean one should start a project on java :slight_smile:

Also those numbers can have another reading. There are so many open positions because they can’t be covered as nobody wants to work with java.

2 Likes

I’m with you Jon, I love my Node projects.

And you are right, Java isn’t only for web development, it is used for many other things, hence the huge number.

1 Like

I too love nodejs right now. I believe it is in the sweet spot of maturity as PHP was several years ago.

3 Likes

But unlike Bubble in case of ScriptCase it generates PHP code and we can host this anywhere we like.

From what little I have studied and understood those sites/web application which may be heavily used are generally never coded using any tool like Wappler or ScriptCase or WinDev they are coded manually and now a days most of them are coded using some sort of framework like Laravel or CodeIgnite or or Symphony or some thing similar.

beg to differ here.
we’ve built apps for our clients (and so have many others in the community) which are regularly used on a large scale by end users.
that is the beauty of low code/Wappler - being virtually limitless in ability to create, subjected only by the servers where you host, it allows to build high concurrency, high scalable web apps. no need for fully code everything at all!

2 Likes

ScriptCase certainly does what Wappler does not – in that it has so many pre-configured templates for different database views & uses that you can crank out a business website to view & manipulate data views without even knowing their use until you see them upon Build & Test.

But, it is designed for rendering pages on the php server. PHP functions, custom functions, classes process the bulk of database values.

Besides customization issues (the pages are built according to ScriptCase’s proprietary programming mindsets and each page change reverts to SC First programming) it can’t really support output in the latest Bootstrap versions, still.

It says you can Import Bootstrap into ScriptCase but its actual implementation is tricky & SC page builds override some important features of Bootstrap.

November 20, 2020 is a typical BUG report at the SC Forum:

Is it possible in future BIG update, to change the TABLE tag to DIV please?
Becase, it’s very difficult to change the layout nested table.

Thanks

Following up, on January 22, 2021 another plea for SC to finally fix this problem –

If there is a solution for this, please! In the past I created a new field {content}. In the event OnRecord I added html code with DIV’s. In the end I started writing the nested querys myself. Then you have the problem with your CSSs less.

Huge Bugs go for YEARS without fixes, no matter how many times users gripe & complain. I know this because I used ScriptCase for a few years before I gave up.

The chief developer for years has been just too swamped to make all the changes people keep asking for.

Within its scope as a server-primary PHP processing web application SC can be very useful for quick mysql database applications.

2 Likes

You are mentioning PHP frameworks. As I said, none of those big sites use PHP for their backend nowadays.

No, they will not use Wappler. Wappler is not intended for companies like facebook. And you can’t build today’s Facebook “just” with Wappler. You could use Wappler to build part of today’s Facebook. But you can build the complete 2008 Facebook with Wappler.

You asked about Scriptcase. I checked it 2 minutes and when I saw it only produces PHP code I knew it wasn’t worth it. I didn’t even bother to read about its features.

This has been my progression of programming languages since I left uni: C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, ABAP(:metal:t2:) and JS. Next stop Go. There is no need to go back to PHP when we have all these promising ones already here.

But if you feel comfortable in PHP. Be my guest. I would just stay with Wappler because it is future proof unlike Scriptcase.

1 Like