A Google reCaptcha alternative

Could we have some alternatives to Google reCaptcha in Wappler? A combination of Google changing their charging structure (no longer unlimited although 1 million per month is probably way higher than will be needed) but also their non-GDPR compliance.

I’ve found three alternatives:

Some other threads here in the community…

Friendly Captcha is beautiful, but I feel it’s too expensive for the requests per month

1 Like

I’ve added Cloudflare Turnstile to the list.

There must be a completely self-hosted and open source option somewhere? Or worth creating one?

2 Likes

I think this one exists:

1 Like

The GDPR compliance is an issue with the Google reCaptcha v3, we still use v2 which has no GDPR compliance issues since no personal data is being sent to google.

2 Likes

That’s good to know. v2 will be phased out at some point though, won’t it?

Proper (“technically-legally-accurate”) GDPR compliance is tricky and I disagree with the statement reCaptcha V2 has no GDPR issues. Rule of thumb, you need to sign a DPA (Data Processing Agreement/Addendum) with each sub-processor you use. In “real life” I don’t think many people do that, but at least the terms and conditions of the data processor should be GDPR-aware in the perspective of a data processor and not just as a data controller (excuse the jargon :laughing:).

Also I found a few more captcha providers for you to add to the list:

And if you want to find more you can search “captcha dsgvo” (DSVGO is like GDPR of Germany, they’re probably the strictest), that’s why you’ll find a lot of GDPR-focused services from Germany.

Edit: Found one more open-source:

2 Likes

This is excellent info with some good alternatives. Thanks @Apple.

I would love to see one of the open-source options become a built-in extension in Wappler.

1 Like

For now my plan is to use Cloudflare Turnstille, it’s also relatively easy to use in Wappler. They have a Data Processing Addendum that should make it GDPR-compliant:

Cloudflare’s Data Processing Addendum is incorporated into both our Self-Serve Subscription Agreement and our standard Enterprise Subscription Terms of Service. For customers with negotiated Enterprise Agreements, you can obtain a copy of your Data Processing Addendum by contacting your Account representative.

1 Like

Does this require Cloudflare hosting or can it be used on any server?

Can be used on any server, no need to use their main service :slight_smile:

Just register an account and in your dashboard you’ll find “Turnstille”

3 Likes