Workflows new Redesign concept 2.0

Hi everyone!

Some time has passed since I started the topic “Redesign concept for Workflow page”.
It was quite a productive and inspiring discussion.
So now I want to share my current renewed vision about this matter and hear what you think.

Currently I see 4 main flaws in Workflows.

1. Nodes look messy, when hierarchy appears.
It is becoming hard to distinguish where one group of nodes ends and another begins. This is exactly the problem that motivated me to make the first redesign concept for workflows.

2. Commenting is a struggle.
I think that documenting your code is as important as writing code itself. At the moment it is hard to create a comment node, hard to make a long text from it, hard to distinguish it from regular nodes.
You can see here how much I need commenting and what kind of a approach I came up with.

As seen, I have one comment before every node, it has a number and a title. And some other comments go after node sometimes, it has detailed explanations.

3. Preferences panel appears in some distance from the node.
I find it inconvenient. Because it takes some time to cross the distance with your eyes and cursor.

4. Code editing is hiding far away.
It takes a long time and many clicks to reach it. But I use it all the time.

So now I wanna introduce Workflow Redesign Concept 2.0!

Here what I am suggesting for each of the issues respectively.
(full original layouts available in Figma here )

1. Better flow reading.

1.1. Every node now is a solid brick.
So when they are stacked, it is easier to understand the level of each one and see the complete tree overall.

1.2. Also, every node has a number.
It is unique only within the group (repeat, condition, etc.). It makes it easy to read the flow, to understand the order of the steps.

2. Every node has a text description.
It could be short or very long with a lot of paragraphs.
First line of the description always shows in the node. (so it handy to write short title in the first line)
So all nodes consist of two lines now.
On click the description expanded.

Details:
(1) Regular “only comment” nodes remain available for cases when you want to add a comment not connected to any of the steps.
(2) Maybe it is worth giving users an opportunity to hide all descriptions, so nodes become one-lined again. It would be useful if users don’t need to use comments within nodes.
(3) When editing node properties, first we see input for description in one line. Only when we click on it, it becomes a textarea with all text seen.

3. The properties panel is integrated in the tree and appears right after (under) the node.

It allows editing properties fast and without changing the context.
I assume there are some actions that have a lot of properties, so for them it may be left as it is now, in the right panel.

4. Code editing available right from the properties panel.
So you can change the code right away.
And Data Binding window available by the click on the lightning icon, as before. But the window itself doesn’t have code editing anymore (as it shows in properties now).

When we click “add” in the Data Binding window, a selected object is added in our input.
And when we focus on code editing, the Data Binding window doesn’t disappear. It stays in the view until we close it.

Also it would be awesome to make drag-n-drop from Data Binding to code input.

Of course, the visual editor of expressions (Data Formats window) is also available as before, by clicking the “magic wand” icon/button. But the icon itself is now in properties.

Overall, I think, this concept manages to solve main problems of workflows.
So work in Wappler would become faster and convenient.

Once again, full original layouts available in Figma here.
Waiting for your emotions, opinions, suggestions and questions!

I really like this, a lot.

I get lost in long lists of workflow. Very confusing sometimes - especially when I have to come back later on.

And, totally agree, there should be a better option for commenting. Comments are distracting right now, so usually where I would add comments I’m leaving them off because it makes it too hard to read.

1 Like

I agree that comments can be improved.

For the rest I am not so sure that your proposal improves readability at least for me.

I am pretty happy with the current UI.

3 Likes

The problems 1, 2 and 4 are very real.
Havent had any issues with point 3 - position of code and selected step.

But, I don’t like any of the suggestions to improve the three. Its making the UI extremely heavy and bulky.

For point 4, code editing was inline before v3 if I remember correctly. So I vote for bringing back inline code editing and getting rid of the stupid expression bubbles. :pray:

1 Like

Thanks for taking the initiative to design new solutions @nickneustroev
I’ve been considering to do the same for server actions.

I really want a better way to comment and ‘group’.

Usually I have a group that does something, for example take this server action:

This consists out of a bunch of groups

I feel like your solution is on the right track (also would love inline editing, the amount of times I have to click thse 2 buttons is unreal:

However, I think your blocks are too many, which overloads the design and makes it look messy again.
Also, perhaps the pen, collapse and drag icons can be hidden behind a hover to help with this.

I like the numbering as well, but would prefer a way of ‘sub’ numbering (2 → 2.1 or 2 → 2A).

Here’s an idea of how that would look like:

PS I checked your figma file, and wow you’ve put time in this.
It’s easy to overlook how much time it takes to not only design this, but also think about better solutions.

1 Like

Absolutely. Comments itself are hard to write and it makes workflow even more messy.

And without comments it became messy in the head instead. Because you come back to the workflow you created last week and you like “ok, what is this?”.

I want so badly a simple and effective way to leave comments in Wappler. And I mean not only Workflows, but frontend, database, query manager etc.
Current approach discourage this.

And if we consider documentation outside the Wappler, it is less convenient and harder to keep up to date.

Also I have proposed some of the requests for simple improvements of the current comment component.
“Add comment” in the context menu
Textarea for comments edit
Different color for comments
Toggle for hiding and showing all comments

Indeed.

I see some cases, when “expression bubbles” helps a little.
But in most situations it doesn’t help in anything and I just have to go to code view. Which requires some additional clicks, of course.

As you remember I already tried to get attention to this problem here.
Instant inline editing for data binding input
But get no much support in this, except from you, @karh and @JonL . :slight_smile:

But what really scares me is some latest changes that make working with code even harder. It was discussed here.
Editing expressions via code directly is officially forbidden now?
But again, only 5 votes including mine.

Seems like most of the users don’t see a problem here. Or they just don’t have time to monitor such discussions.
Though I don’t see any supporters of current “expression bubbles” either.

And some latest additions in “expression bubbles input” change nothing.
I can’t imagine how it can be convenient to type & and then select && from the dropdown. Isn’t typing && faster? :grinning:

You’re right about grouping. This one thing that also should be considered.

I know, right? :slightly_smiling_face: That’s a lot of clicking. And don’t forget the waiting time when all Data Binding loading in window.

I understand it. Indeed, adding comments into every node increases their height twice, so it still looks a bit complicated. But I still believe combining regular nodes with comments is the right way.

The problem is, I think, that arrow/collapse button must be always seen, so user understand that there are some collapsed nodes. And so he can click it right away to reach inner nodes fast.

I thought about it too. It has some advantages.
But I think with your sketch you answer yourself, why it is problematic.
First, there is no place for numbers like 2.1.1.1.1. Except if you want to move a title/comment further to the right. But then it loses in accuracy and readability.
Also, in some inner levels you would see numbers like 2.5.14.6., then 2.5.14.7. etc. It is just too many numbers, you would lost in them.

As they say, “Well, that escalated quickly!” :grinning:

I did see the forbidden post, but I was on an older Wappler version at that time, so did not vote.
The latest changes - where there are no spaces is HELL! I keep re-writing the expressions in conditions due to this.

I did not think much of it when bubbles were first introduced, but overtime, it has proved to be a huge performance killer.

It is a slight help for new comers, but if they select any formatter from the picker UI, there is not enough space in the bubble to not show full string, making it pretty much useless.

1 Like

I don’t think the box layout is better, we already tried something similar and that wasn’t very successful. I agree with several of the issues and have voted on some of your other requests.

2 Likes