Why so many server connections?

Hello Wappler experts,
my name is Karl and I’m new here.

I am currently testing Wappler (trial version) and have a question regarding data connections (Server Connect).
I noticed that you have to create a new server connection for practically all possible actions. This also leads to a new connection file…
If I give my project to the client, and the client has a different database/user/host etc., how do I explain to the client that they need to adjust the multitude of connection files?

Is there something like a customer setup for these connection files?

I have been programming database applications (Desktop / Windows / SAP etc…) for 30 years.
My understanding is that I always have a confection to the database server and all queries are based on this connection.

I would be happy if someone tells me if I am doing something wrong or if I have misunderstood something. :neutral_face:

Thanks and many greetings
Karl

I have something to add:
My development server is a Synology NAS and it is connected both inside and outside (2 lan ports). 1 is outside (Fix IP and Domain), 2 is inside my LAN. The firewall is set up so that all web server services work from the outside (80, 443, 3306, 3307 (Maria DB) etc.). Internally all services are open.
In Wappler I need the internal IP to establish a successful connection to the database (e.g. 192.168.xx.xx). If I change the server connection files on the server to localhost, then no more database connections work from the outside. Why?
What do I not understand?

The database connection is linked, there is a link button. so the connection is changed once and it changes it on all database connections that are linked.

#baub, thank you!
This means that if I change one connection, then all other connections change with?

But how do my customers do that when they download and install the product?

Hi Karl, welcome to Wappler!

You only need to set up your connection once and re-use it on each Server Connect. Just click on the folder icon.

When your customers download and install what product?

#Brad, thank you!
Now I’m beginning to understand.
But still not really practical for the customers!?

I want to implement an existing application of mine (automotive industry) for the web. The software manages technical reports (TUEV -> technical inspection agency in Germany).

Customers buy this software to manage reports, link them to the right items, etc… (very complex).

The desktop version of the software is successfully in use. Now I would like to have a web version, which my customers can install on their own web server.
This is the plan… :grinning:

@Karl Maybe you should consider an Electron app if your customers really have to download the software. Totally do-able within Wappler.

Hello @max_gb,
thanks for the advice!

Wappler is great, if I may say so right now.
For many years I have only coded, with a focus on databases, and now I have to get used to a “designer” first. I was just confused by what I saw in the videos. For every DB action a new connection. I didn’t know that. But that has cleared up a bit in the meantime.

Thank you all for the fast help!

Greeting
Karl

Not quite. One connection per database you use (if you only connect to a single database then that is all you require). Then Server Actions are created which interact using the database connection to access tables and rows to output your queries. Your clients will have a schema to import which matches this database. They then import the schema to their database and only have to edit the single database connection to make changes that match their own database connection credentials, user, port, password, name, etc.

I assume you use PHP. Wappler connect to your database over your webserver, it puts a file there (dmxConnections/dmxDatabase.php) that it uses. So the IP address used in the connection should be accessible from the webserver, not you local PC.

As mentioned above you should set the connection linked, then you have a single database connection setting that you can reuse. Use you test database connection while you develop the website. When you ship the product you have to edit the file dmxConnect/modules/Connections/{connectionName}.php with the settings for the customer database.

Hello @Dave, hello @Patrick,
three thumbs up for your quick help! Yes! I have understood it by now!

I have one (1) connection to the database and can use it over and over again as long as I access the same database. Great! This is exactly how I imagined it.

Perfect! I only edit this one connection file and my problems are solved.

Thanks a lot!
Many greetings
Karl

PS: Sorry for the stupid questions. Wappler (and web programming) is a completely new topic for me. I come from desktop development…

1 Like

No need to apologise Karl. Not stupid questions at all. May pick your brains about desktop development soon enough sir! Good luck with your project, and please feel free to ask as many questions as you feel the need to do so.

:slight_smile:

Thanks!
Very nice people here. I look forward to the future with Wappler! :+1:

6 Likes