Why at this time we are not renewing our Wappler subscription

This is not meant to be a negative post what so ever.

Here are the reasons for not renewing Wappler subscription.

1. Learning curve is much too long and cumbersome
  2. Too many steps to do simple things (list mainly)
  3. Everything in terms of development is too piecemealed.
  4. Need application that can reduce development time, not increase it.

Now these might be related to just us coming from a php development background, or not. We so wanted Wappler to be a program we could use and gave it 2 months to test.

Wappler right now is more for developers that have a great coding background, not for those like us that are very good in workflow and database development. We need tools that can handle basic things in one or two maybe even 3 steps at most. And yes provides a tool much in line with what kollections did as far as its front end approach (not the technology used at that time).We felt the subscription cost was very reasonable and much much better than buying the individual extensions on the DMXzone site itself.

DMXZone has a lot of good needed tools that are folded into Wappler, in our opinion though Wappler lacks a reduced development approach.

We will monitor Wappler and to be very honest hope that down the road we can start using it again once the steps to do things within it are better defined and FAR less cumbersome to implement.

Hi Mike,

I’d be very curious to know what you have found that works better for you and why?

Wishing you all the best in the future.

Have not found anything yet . But that fact in itself does not make Wappler the program of choice either at this time.

1 Like

Hi @mikeRM,
please try to get into more details since I can’t really find a way that your development time is increased using Wappler.
Can you give an example of things you wanted to do and found that Wappler is not suitable.

To make myself clear I totally understand that it might not be what you were looking for, it would just help us help you if you could give some actual examples.

Good luck!!!

Example Tried to create a repeat list (paging) that allowed for - Record numbering - paging between records, checkbox selections for multiple records, linking to view individual records.

After 3 weeks was finally able to cull together most of these things to display what was wanted but not all - made a conscious choice to stop using Wappler because we just did not have the time to learn ALL the steps to do all these things so went back to our old way of doing it and within 2 hours had everything done and started using to update over 150,000 records we needed to get updated.

We didn’t even look at the forms area because of time constraints.

Hope this answered your question

For my personal interest, when you say your old way, what was your old way? Are you using an application or manually coding it in PHP?

Well if you already have a work method that permits you to work fast and efficient then Wappler might not be for you. Good luck.

stuck using Kollections with dreamweaver 8.02 we have an old Mac we use it on.

Old we agree, need to change we agree, but you know what its works. Just have not found anything else that comes close to Kollections in terms of ease of use and functionality

Fair enough, I would not knock Kollections, i too was quite the fan of it, I would honestly say in a shoot out speed wise I am now faster in Wappler, however that did take some time to get there, although I found the Kollections learning curve pretty heavy for me too. But once i understood it, it was quite simple.

This is an interesting thread. I felt exactly the same about 9 months ago but I decided to use Wappler for a particular project last summer and persevered with it. Spent ages on some aspects, got frustrated that I couldn’t do simple things, but I stuck with it.

Now it’s a completely different scenario. I’m working on three fairly large projects in Wappler and yesterday, just before finishing for the day, I thought I’d quickly build an admin page to show some stats and data for admins. Within an hour I had a great looking (Bootstrap, of course) page with stats, a bar graph and three lists of most recent sales, members and listings. All done without any code editing and incredibly quickly. The third list was done in 5 minutes - created the query in Server Connect, used the Form Generator and tweaked the output.

Why am I writing all this? It’s worth sticking with it until ‘the penny drops’. I hadn’t used DMXZone’s DW extensions so had no experience of the Server Side / Client Side structures and that meant it took me a while but now I’m flying.

I would recommend you give it another go. Maybe build a test project in your spare time and see how it goes.

3 Likes

I think that this is the crux of a good work flow. When starting a new project I first create the Server Actions. Listing the data and Form generation (insert, update and delete) is a sinch after that.

1 Like

definitly Wappler reduced development time for us and made is easy and i dare say, fun!
and also, i agree, having some coding background helps to get around with wappler much faster.
unless willing to put yourself thru that learnign curve, it is not for ‘designers’ as such.

looking forward to seeing you around @mikeRM

Hey guys,

We are happy to see the different opinions on this topic! We do understand Wappler isn’t the most suitable tool for everybody, especially if they don’t have a clue what CSS or HTML is.
But hey, that’s the great thing to live in 21st century - you are not locked to a single tool, like it used to be 20 years ago! The market is big, so everyone can find the suitable tool for them.

Mike, i remember from your topics you were asking about how to write your custom PHP code to create paging and stuff, never actually mentioned wizards like the interakt tools, but of course we have them as well - for data tables, paging etc.

So good luck finding a suitable tool Mike, it shouldn’t be that hard with so many drag and drop page builders available out there.
Wishing you all the best!

Tools like Dreamweaver are long gone, they have no real future except for the few people left locked there, using their old outdated methods and server behaviors since the first DW version.

By the way, It’s was a really really successful year for Wappler, with many new customers, users switching from other platforms and the feedback we received was really great - year 2019 really exceeded our expectations! 2020 will bring even more excitement for our users, so stay tuned :slight_smile:
Also, our community will soon reach 10k users - another great milestone!

1 Like

why am i not surprised at your reply Teodor its what i expected.