What code language should I learn

Hi everyone!

I’m just about to launch my app in Bubble.io and I’ve decided that once its launched I want to build it out in Wappler for the customization and performance benefits, not to mention owning the code. (my original plan was to eventually pay someone to build it from scratch after I launch but i think this is a better option)

That being said my app pushes Bubble to the edge and uses a fair amount of javascript to do what I need it to do, and I’m still severely limited. So I know that coming to Wappler I’ll need to code certain functionality in.

I learn really fast and already know HTML, CSS, SQL, a little Bootstrap and basic Javascript. For me learning a new language will be fun so I don’t see it as work.

Coming over to Wappler what should I invest my time in learning to allow me to customize the app from a functionality stand point? Javascript? PHP?

Also, with Bubble if I had to hire someone to write Javascript it was more expensive because most people who know Javascript don’t know bubble so without access to the base code many wont help. One of the draws for me to Wappler is that it appears as though I can hire a coder to implement a feature and it shouldn’t matter whether or not they know Wappler at all, is this correct?

Thanks in advance!

I’d say JavaScript (I’m no expert though) that way you can focus on just one language and use NodeJS for the backend and JS for any added custom coding needed.

As for getting someone to code custom stuff without knowing Wappler, that is yes and no answer I’d suggest.

I think a JS cider could build some custom functionality for you without knowing Wappler, but getting it to interact and work properly with Wappler there are some custom Wappler functions that get used to parse info into a JS script and also to set info from a script into Wappler.

I’d think that you’d get someone to build something for you, but you’d need to tweak it to work with your Wappler project.

1 Like

@Philip_J Thanks for the reply! That makes sense.

One thing I’m wondering is if wappler uses custom functions for the JS, If I export the code what are those functions written in? If I build the app using NodeJS and JS when I export the code will it be just those 2?

Maybe I used the wrong terminology, it’s not my greatest strength.

What I can tell you though is that you could open up your Wappler project in a VS code (Not that you would need to) and run it independent of Wappler. The code it generates is clean, proper code. I’m pretty sure that someone could clone your project from a git repository and run it on there own PC/server without Wappler (as long as it had been configured to run on their server setup)

They wouldn’t be able to use the Wappler tool to edit the project, but their could edit the code just fine. Again, not that you would need to as you can do almost everything you need in Wappler.

2 Likes

Hello Mark,

Basic understanding of HTML/CSS and/or how Bootstrap 4 Framework works is enough to understand the basics of Wappler. Some basic knowledge of javascript can only be a plus in terms of using the logical and comparison operators :slight_smile:

As for the server-side part, you don’t need to learn PHP, ASP or NodeJS (javascript) as our server-side framework Server Connect allows you to build the logic fully visual, so you won’t need to edit any of the files manually.

With Wappler you don’t export the code. All the files - HTML, CSS, JS and/or PHP are located in your local project folder and they are always available for you. You can open and edit them in any editor of your choice or add any script or function by editing the files manually (outside of Wappler).

1 Like

Thanks! That makes sense. It looks like this is a pretty good way to go then for my app. I was planning on spending thousands to get it built down the road so that I can scale but If I continue to learn JS and build it using Wappler it looks like I can avoid that altogether.

Which is great because if I need to implement new requested features I wont have to take my wallet out every time because I can do it myself.